Thread: Build a kit?

Black
    2004 GTO

Build a kit?

Has any one else on here built a turbo setup from scratch? I want to buy just the basics and build one myself i.e. turbo, wastegate, intercooler, etc. Is it worth it or is it cheaper to just buy a pre built kit? I figure I can do it myself for 3000 (Thats turbo, injectors, wastegate, intercooler. Am I forgeting anything?). My dad can weld aluminum and has already has a little experience with turbos helping friends. Think it's worth it? Or are there any kits already around that price range? This car is my DD by the way, '04 GTO, nothing special. Maybe run 8-10 psi or so, I don't want to have to rebuild the whole motor.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I've built a few in my time. Basically, if you know what you're doing you can save a ton of cash over the "pre-built" versions. With a little research and some practice anyone with a little mechanical skills can build a system. I wouldn't suggest doing something like this on your daily driver though. If it was a car you could afford to have down for a little time then ok....but once you start down this road it becomes an endless money pit...

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by crebrosseau View Post
    Has any one else on here built a turbo setup from scratch? I want to buy just the basics and build one myself i.e. turbo, wastegate, intercooler, etc. Is it worth it or is it cheaper to just buy a pre built kit? I figure I can do it myself for 3000 (Thats turbo, injectors, wastegate, intercooler. Am I forgeting anything?). My dad can weld aluminum and has already has a little experience with turbos helping friends. Think it's worth it? Or are there any kits already around that price range? This car is my DD by the way, '04 GTO, nothing special. Maybe run 8-10 psi or so, I don't want to have to rebuild the whole motor.
    Link removed to other forum
    Last edited by cailey37; 07-05-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Can't post another forum ling

Bat mobile black
    2000 Trans am WS6 M6

im in the same boat as the op. Im starting to save up money again and im going to build a set up from scratch with the help of a local shop that builds turbo kits for anything u can think of.

Thread Information