96 Z28 M6

Vortech for sure.
    STS is not worth it

Black
    2000 WS6

Go with Vortech.

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

Vortech gets my vote...just cause i like my ground clearance and wish i had more..* stupid SLP exhaust**

Rodzilla Tha Cavity Filla zero_proto's Avatar

teal
    99 Z28 with an SS complex

i would also say vortech. The money it would cost to get the sts to run like a champ would be a little more than a vortech setup.

Metallic Pewter
    2001 Trans Am WS6

Vortech FTW, wouldn't waste my money with STS!

wow.........I see who is winning this battle!!!

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If you threw in say a custom turbo system, or one like APS then I'd say them hands down over Vortech.....but like everyone is saying STS is junk....

NBM
    2000 Camaro SS #5108 A4

Why not a Procharger as a choice?
    2000 Camaro SS # 5108 NBM A4
    10.94 @ 124.70 1.71 w/ broken tranny (563 rwhp/477 rwtq)
    Forged LS6 347, D-1SC #10, Patriot LQ9 Heads, LG G5XB Cam, SLP headers, Alky Control, Yank SS3600, BMR suspension
    http://lsx.streetfire.net/video/a7c7...2000a4809f.htm

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by WHPLASH View Post
    Why not a Procharger as a choice?
    x2?

Black
    02 Camaro SS

well im not 100% sure if i want to go forced induction or not yet, and im just trying to get some opinions before i do anything
    2002 SS LS6,A4, hooker lts, flowmasters, lower rear control arms, sub frame conn. , k&n filter, BFG G-Force KDW T/A 245/45/18-295/35/19, C6 Rims

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by blk_ss02 View Post
    well im not 100% sure if i want to go forced induction or not yet, and im just trying to get some opinions before i do anything
    If you want opinions, then Procharger is the way to go!

Black
    02 Camaro SS

thanks everyone i appreciate the help

gold
    2000 honder accord

aps or custom turbo gets my vote, sc robs power from the crank, turbos take what would be useless exhaust and turns it into boost... turbos ftw!!!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by andrew rs View Post
    aps or custom turbo gets my vote, sc robs power from the crank, turbos take what would be useless exhaust and turns it into boost... turbos ftw!!!
    The SC may steal HP from the crank, but turbo systems have their own losses through back pressure, especially up top. That seems to be commonly left out when people knock the SC.

The SC setups are more reliable for the long haul, and are very competitive with the turbo on the track, not to mention being easier to effectively and repeatably race.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    The SC may steal HP from the crank, but turbo systems have their own losses through back pressure, especially up top. That seems to be commonly left out when people knock the SC.

The SC setups are more reliable for the long haul, and are very competitive with the turbo on the track, not to mention being easier to effectively and repeatably race.
    Exactly, turbos are not "free power". When you think of it in terms of exhaust, just picture removing free flowing 1 3/4" Longtubes and replacing them with extremely restrictive manifolds with a turbine wheel in the way of exhaust flow. Drive the car back to back with no boost and you won't believe the difference in power and torque, especially top end. So you're losing a bunch just changing the exhaust setup.

Then you have to figure in the backpressure created in the exhaust manifold between the exhaust port and the turbocharger. A lot of exhaust gas backs up in there, expecially at high RPM's, where the backpressure is too great to move the amount of exhaust that's trying to exit the cylinders. So there's quite a significant loss there too, and it gets exponentially higher with the more boost you are pushing, since forcing more air in means more air is going to need to be expelled on the exhaust stroke. If you've ever seen a turbo exhaust manifold glowing cherry red you'd know what Im talking about.

The supercharger requires engine power to run, but you can keep your free flowing exhaust (LT headers, duals, ect) and when you're not under boost, you're only losing a couple of HP to turn the rotors/turbine. Not sure of what kind of power it saps under boost, but the newer models are supposed to be quite efficient as far as parasitic losses.
    Last edited by Wesman; 10-02-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Exactly, turbos are not "free power". When you think of it in terms of exhaust, just picture removing free flowing 1 3/4" Longtubes and replacing them with extremely restrictive manifolds with a turbine wheel in the way of exhaust flow. Drive the car back to back with no boost and you won't believe the difference in power and torque, especially top end. So you're losing a bunch just changing the exhaust setup.

Then you have to figure in the backpressure created in the exhaust manifold between the exhaust port and the turbocharger. A lot of exhaust gas backs up in there, expecially at high RPM's, where the backpressure is too great to move the amount of exhaust that's trying to exit the cylinders. So there's quite a significant loss there too, and it gets exponentially higher with the more boost you are pushing, since forcing more air in means more air is going to need to be expelled on the exhaust stroke. If you've ever seen a turbo exhaust manifold glowing cherry red you'd know what Im talking about.

The supercharger requires engine power to run, but you can keep your free flowing exhaust (LT headers, duals, ect) and when you're not under boost, you're only losing a couple of HP to turn the rotors/turbine. Not sure of what kind of power it saps under boost, but the newer models are supposed to be quite efficient as far as parasitic losses.

Very well said

300RWHP, 341RWTQ
    1/8 mile 8.32 at 83.97
    1/4 mile 13.049 at 105.24

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post

You know...I've been sold on turbos for quite awhile now for when the bank account finally says "Yes! You can finally afford forced induction!"

After reading this though I think I may have to reconsider.

Thread Information