Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Benefits of twin turbo over single

This is a discussion on Benefits of twin turbo over single within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; STS Pontiac GTO 6.0L Turbo System (2005-2006) Complete Turbo System with Tuning starting at $6,295.00 http://www.ststurbo.com/pontiac_gto_6_0l This is without intercooler ...

Yellow
    2005 GTO

STS Pontiac GTO 6.0L Turbo System
    (2005-2006)

Complete Turbo System with Tuning starting at $6,295.00

http://www.ststurbo.com/pontiac_gto_6_0l

This is without intercooler but with a flash tuner.

GEN TT GENERAL MOTORS - USA / UAE / UK EXPORT ONLY
    *Note - Pricing in US DOLLARS

G8/Lumina Gen-TT Intercooled Twin Turbocharger Kit $ 5,600*
    G8/Lumina Gen-TT BB Intercooled Twin Turbocharger Kit (Garrett Ball Bearing turbos) $ 6,300*
    GTO/Monaro Gen-TT Intercooled Twin Turbocharger Kit $ 4,300*
    GTO/Monaro Gen-TTR Intercooled Twin Turbocharger Kit $ 4,995*
    GTO/Monaro Gen-TTR BB Intercooled Twin Turbocharger Kit (Garrett Ball Bearing turbos) $ 5,600*
    VT-VZ Lumina Gen-TTR BB Intercooled Twin Turbo Kit (Garrett Ball Bearing turbos) $ 5,600*
    GM F-BODY GEN-TTR Intercooled Twin Turbocharger Kit $ 4,300*
    GMC Truck GEN-TT 99 - 06 Intercooled Twin Turbocharger Kit (2wd only) $ 4,300*

(Note: No Fuel System or Electronics Supplied)

http://www.ls1turbo.com.au/us/pricing.html

There is not even a close comparison to these 2 kits. The STS is a 5-8 psi system with no intercooler. The Gen TT or the APS system are twin turbo with a big ass intercooler at 10-15 psi. The Gen TT is $1,000 less....
    Last edited by ericwilloughby; 04-17-2009 at 10:56 AM.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Here is an APS camaro price with intercooler.

APS Camaro Twin Turbo Kit
    Manufacturer: APS
    Model: APSGMF-TTS/01
    Our Price: $5,994.98

http://www.grdstore.com/aps-camaro-t...it-p-2909.html

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

Quote Originally Posted by ericwilloughby View Post
    Send me a link to your build. I'd love to see it.
    i havent posted any pics except of the turbo yet, im in the process of getting all my parts right now, just ordered the injectors and fuel pump yesterday, and currently looking for a c6 vette driver side manifold. ordering the some 2.5 inch and 3 inch pipe today then i should be about ready to start. but i will post the build as it gets underway. i posted pics of the turbo on ls1gto. but i dont think ill be posting on that site too much anymore. tired of all the bullshit drama. and ass holes!

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Well the f-body one is only 5,400, but thats a good price for the twin aps kit. I'm sure it'd cost well over 10 grand for the supporting mods though

Cool guys thanks for the info on that. I have been looking around the web and I found this kit on ebay from one of thos ebay stores. Its a sbc (small block chevy) twin turbo kit any one know about it? The guy selling it said I will fit most sbc's with some moding. Its a low price I plan on installing it my self I can do most mods my self and I don't think ill have to do that much.

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Well the f-body one is only 5,400, but thats a good price for the twin aps kit. I'm sure it'd cost well over 10 grand for the supporting mods though
    Fuel pump and 60# injectors cost $500. And HPT or a professional tune costs $500.

My entire turbo kit cost me $1400 and the supporting mods above $1000.

I'd love to try a blower, but not for 4 times the price...

You did notice this right: "GM F-BODY GEN-TTR Intercooled Twin Turbocharger Kit $ 4,300*"

Yellow
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by gunner87 View Post
    Cool guys thanks for the info on that. I have been looking around the web and I found this kit on ebay from one of thos ebay stores. Its a sbc (small block chevy) twin turbo kit any one know about it? The guy selling it said I will fit most sbc's with some moding. Its a low price I plan on installing it my self I can do most mods my self and I don't think ill have to do that much.
    Be very carefull with the ebay kits. I've heard that the chinese turbos are junk and what some of them call a T-70 are actually tiny little T-48's. Get the size of the inducer, not the compressor A/R.

Ok thanks man. Do you think ill just be better off if I buy every thing I need by its self and frankenstein a twin turbo kit for my 350?

Yellow
    2005 GTO

No way to know that until your done. Just don't get tricked into buying little turbo's advertised as T-70's.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Yea I noticed that, not a bad price to add some turbos and lots of power. Unfortunately I couldn't tackle this on my own.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by grandkodiak View Post
    New to the turbo game... wondering about dual turbo setups... do people do it just to double thier psi? or does it not work that way? like could you run twin rear mounts off the ypipe both at 5psi and see any difference over a single at 5psi?
    twins spool faster,rear mounts are my choice they loose a pound or two of boost but the benefits are many less heat,why have all that heat up front,less weight up front,as we all know the engine compartment is limited on the GTO.
    I built my own setup,has worked very well for me.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Ill build any 04-06 GTO owner a twin setup,bolt on,you install way less then aps or gen TTR and i can back it up with time slips and videos.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

Quote Originally Posted by qwkgto View Post
    twins spool faster,rear mounts are my choice they loose a pound or two of boost but the benefits are many less heat,why have all that heat up front,less weight up front,as we all know the engine compartment is limited on the GTO.
    I built my own setup,has worked very well for me.
    why would you want to lose the heat?? you do realize that turbos require heat to work properly right?? not to mention, STS guys have all sorts of trouble and have to heat wrap their entire pipes front to back to overcome the heat loss.
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

NBM
    2002 Camaro

^^^ You are correct about the turbo needing the heat to work properly but I believe that he is refering to underhood heat which isnt a good thing.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Black
    2002 A4 Z/28

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    ^^^ You are correct about the turbo needing the heat to work properly but I believe that he is refering to underhood heat which isnt a good thing.
    Information Technology Super Sport

Suspension|T56|5.3|Twin TC66's|

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    The ideal twin turbo setup is a large turbo and a small turbo. The benefit over a single turbo is that you can have a small turbo that spools quickly to help you down low, then the larger turbo to push more boost and help make major power up top. Simply put you get a quick spooling turbo so that you don't have lag, and a large turbo for big power rather than having to compromise with one or the other
    Thats the aftermarket setup for a Cummins Diesel or the factory design for the Ford 6.4 Diesel. For a V-8 you run each turbo off its own bank of cylinders and they meet in the intercooler then go into the engine.
    Last edited by TA98; 04-27-2009 at 06:24 PM.

red
    2000 c5

Hey guys.
    IMO a single,twins or rear mount will all work.Neither setup is limited as long as you have the right combo.Of course lots of cash helps to
    I know of a couple of C5s with a rear mount turbo that run 8s!As far as a single vs twins it's the same deal.All in the combo.I run a single turbo on my
    C5(4 sale) but it is limited because of lack of room under the hood.I've got a T70 on it right now and it works real well.I've got a tired high mileage stock LS1 that runs 127 MPH at 8#s in the 1/4 and will spin the tires at 60 MPH.I'm changing over to twins in a couple of weeks.I bought a TTi system that mounts down low.Not as much bling as a top mounted twin setup but easier to install and still capable of 1000HP.
    Take care.
    Last edited by 396375; 04-28-2009 at 11:34 PM.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by TNTramair View Post
    why would you want to lose the heat?? you do realize that turbos require heat to work properly right?? not to mention, STS guys have all sorts of trouble and have to heat wrap their entire pipes front to back to overcome the heat loss.
    thats a bunch of BS,the lil bit of heat I lose ,so to speak is far outreached in cooling by having them back in the rear of the car.yes i might get 1-2 pounds more of boost if they were up front,but when you have a car that already is tight for space and has heat soak problems.I dont has a STS, I made my own and the damn setup works, awesome,I tryed to sell this setup over the winter,no one came up with the cash so its on my new 408,so far 20 psi feels awesome,broke transmission or Id have some new time slips,last year I went 10.6 at 129mph with the stock ls2 and 13psi,yea I would say it works well,got me fastest ls2 in the country...05-06 gto...

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by T/A98 View Post
    Thats the aftermarket setup for a Cummins Diesel or the factory design for the Ford 6.4 Diesel. For a V-8 you run each turbo off its own bank of cylinders and they meet in the intercooler then go into the engine.
    This is why you stager the hot and cold side of the turbos for a ideal no lag setup.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

here is some heat loss...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information