Results 1 to 20 of 20

ATI vs STS

This is a discussion on ATI vs STS within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; What are the cost differences between the basic kits for both?? I like both setups, I don't like the way ...

  1. #1
    WS SICK
    Guest

    ATI vs STS

    What are the cost differences between the basic kits for both?? I like both setups, I don't like the way the STS removes the muffler and the way it looks under the hood but the power it makes is very good. Any helpful info is appreciated.

    Justin

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    58

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

    I don't know much about the ATI kit, I've never owned one. But I really enjoy my STS kit. What scares me about you question is...you won't stick with the base kit!!

    Been there, done that. My list is still growing, and if everything goes as planned, it's about to get very long!

  3. #3
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Well...the ATI is tried and true at putting the power to the wheels.....STS is sorta neat the way they put the thing in the back....and I'm sure not going to bad mouth them at all.....but....your exhaust is gonna change big times....your air breather is gonna be under your car in the back.......that just bothers the shit outta me personally......ATI been around awhile....check out one of our sponsors...he knows his ATI for sure... http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    58

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

    That's true Sarge, and since the ATI has been around for longer, it's easier to estimate costs involved with the kit. It's not as easy to figure out total cost of an STS kit because it's so new, we're still adding stuff. I kind of like how different the STS is.
    2002 Camaro SS-STS kit, LME built 370, h/c, and a bunch of other stuff

    5psi-456 rwhp 498 rwtq ran out of fuel!!

  5. #5
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    I hear ya man....and I'm all for trying new things...called progress....I really spoke with quite a few people in the GTO community with the STS setup...one of them on nitrous and STS running in the 9's...now that is hauling ass
    I know of two 04 GTO's that waterlocked...then STS made a "breather tube" and supposedly fixed it....the cars sound like whistlin freight trains now versus the muscle car rumble......that I dont like...but all in all and in all fairness to STS....they seem to be supportiung those that bought them very well and they do appear to be making power with the additional kit and extra boost....I do not think I would waste my time with the basic kit...I agree...just not enough there to justify the effort.....glad your liking yours man...aint hauling ass fun

  6. #6
    you can get a cover for the STS filter that will keep large deris and water from harming the filter itself, but you have to be sure not to submerge it all the way under water.

    ATI vs STS depends on what you want out of the car. both have thier downsides. however, with a proper setup, either kit can give you more power than your street tires (or 10 bolt rear) could handle.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    east stroudsburg, pa and middlesex, nj
    Age
    33
    Posts
    466

    black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

    Quote Originally Posted by Ayeris
    you can get a cover for the STS filter that will keep large deris and water from harming the filter itself, but you have to be sure not to submerge it all the way under water.

    ATI vs STS depends on what you want out of the car. both have thier downsides. however, with a proper setup, either kit can give you more power than your street tires (or 10 bolt rear) could handle.
    in order to submerge the whole thing in water...the water would have to be as high as your bumper....the air filter sits higher than the stock exhasut tail pipes.

  8. #8
    Member Exotic Performance Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Columbia City, Indiana
    Posts
    124

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Z28

    Just don't use the car to unload your boat at the ramp, and you'll be okay. lol... Bob

  9. #9
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,748

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
    Just don't use the car to unload your boat at the ramp, and you'll be okay. lol... Bob
    Is this you Bob? Because your email address is not from Exotic

  10. #10
    Member Exotic Performance Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Columbia City, Indiana
    Posts
    124

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Z28

    Yes it is. I put down my home e-mail as that is where I was when I signed back in. Bob

  11. #11
    Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

    Ed Blown Vert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Posts
    50,748

    Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

    Can you change your address to one from Exotic? Just want to make sure its you, before I change your account to Sponsor.

  12. #12
    dkt-performance
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    I hear ya man....and I'm all for trying new things...called progress....I really spoke with quite a few people in the GTO community with the STS setup...one of them on nitrous and STS running in the 9's...now that is hauling ass
    I know of two 04 GTO's that waterlocked...then STS made a "breather tube" and supposedly fixed it....the cars sound like whistlin freight trains now versus the muscle car rumble......that I dont like...but all in all and in all fairness to STS....they seem to be supportiung those that bought them very well and they do appear to be making power with the additional kit and extra boost....I do not think I would waste my time with the basic kit...I agree...just not enough there to justify the effort.....glad your liking yours man...aint hauling ass fun
    u say it sounds like a whislin frieght train and not like a muscle car. well a supercharged car doesn't sound like a muscle car either. it sounds like the tension pully bearing is going out.

  13. #13
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    I've only been around one (STS) in person and it sounded much more "different" than any supercharger or blower I have ever heard....

  14. #14
    Junior Member Havoc_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Antonio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    82
    2002 Trans Am CE

    So does STS sound bad? I'm not trying to cruise around town sounding like a UFO or something

  15. #15
    rustyreno
    Guest
    I haven't been following the progress on the sts kit for probably a year since I sold my car, but I am wondering if overall people have been having good luck with it. It seems to me it has become a pretty popular kit since a bunch of different places are selling them and I haven't heard of any cars blowing up or having any major problems. Has someone figured out a way to use the driver side subframe connector and re-route the intake piping coming from the back of the car to the front, or does the pipe still need to be tucked into this location?

    -Andrew

  16. #16
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Quote Originally Posted by Havoc_S
    So does STS sound bad? I'm not trying to cruise around town sounding like a UFO or something
    Well it went from a thumper/muscle car to a whistle..much more so than any supercharger/turbo I had ever heard....it hauls ass though...but it "whistles"..I dont know any other way to describe it....
    Here..play Eds GTO.03 http://www.imranxp.com/ls2gto/
    Thats what I heard....
    Last edited by Sarge; 08-30-2005 at 01:54 PM.

  17. #17
    Junior Member Havoc_S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Antonio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    82
    2002 Trans Am CE

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Well it went from a thumper/muscle car to a whistle..much more so than any supercharger/turbo I had ever heard....it hauls ass though...but it "whistles"..I dont know any other way to describe it....
    Here..play Eds GTO.03 http://www.imranxp.com/ls2gto/
    Thats what I heard....
    Cool, thanks for the link. That wasn't too bad at all. Different. But not bad.

  18. #18
    Grand Imperial Wizard Sarge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas Department of Corrections
    Posts
    18,129
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

    Hey man....just haul ass...that is the finish line aint it? Ol Bob got a little defensive...kids do that.....whatever blows your dress up...hauling ass is what we do.....And for the record......you dont have to park a boat in the lake to waterlock one of these things....that was a silly statement.....but you do have to be aware of where your intake is and what the limitations are.....

  19. #19
    Member Exotic Performance Plus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Columbia City, Indiana
    Posts
    124

    Hugger Orange
    1999 Z28

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Hey man....just haul ass...that is the finish line aint it? Ol Bob got a little defensive...kids do that.....whatever blows your dress up...hauling ass is what we do.....And for the record......you dont have to park a boat in the lake to waterlock one of these things....that was a silly statement.....but you do have to be aware of where your intake is and what the limitations are.....
    Sarge, I hope you're not talking about me. I don't get defensive about much of anything...

    I've heard of just about every type of power adder hydrolocking at one time or another. AEM cold air kits on sport compact cars, ATI ProChargers, STS Turbos, etc. Sooner or later, someone somewhere is going to have a problem with anything that is out on the market, and with the internet, everyone is going to find out about it. You're absolutely right, you do have to know what your limitations are. Bob

  20. #20
    iGoRa
    Guest
    Go with ATI

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •