Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Aps build underway presently..

This is a discussion on Aps build underway presently.. within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; The rails are from Lonnies performance. Thats where got the dual pumps, teflon lines, teflon fittings ,reg,fuel filter....

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

The rails are from Lonnies performance. Thats where got the dual pumps, teflon lines, teflon fittings ,reg,fuel filter.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Ok update and happy one at that. Fixed my cam sensor problem it was pretty sure just lose female connector problem on the cam sensor.We tightened things up but did also put in a third cam sensor at same time but whatever problem is fixed. I put in 60 pound injectors for temp until 100% sure the problem is solved.Then will sell off the 120s maybe and get 80s high impedence. I was calculating injector needs forgetting that my wet shot direct port don't need injectors figured in. Dry shot would.
    So think 80s should be enough just for the boost part of the hp.
    I am not planning to go past 1000rwhp with boost and spray in combination.Not sure how much that 6.0 iron can take.No concrete and no stud girdle just arp main studs.Forged crank of course,rods and pistons.

So been driving the 99 now and its wicked wicked. Haven't even had the guts to go full throttle with it yet. And barely got it into boost either. The built 408 is plain nasty even with no boost even with 9.5 compression. Those 225 heads was a bit worried might hurt bottom but they don't seem to. Turbos spool up stupid fast on the 408 you almost have to try to stay out of boost.

Did a few things like swapped out my blow offs for turbomsmaster Kompact supersonics .Direct swap for the supplied aps bosch ones.
    Throwing my new twin turbo and 408 emblems on the car now and have lots of wiring still to do on the direct port, my interceptor gauges and their sensors, my eboost2, etc.
    Just ordered a temporary driveshaft from strange so can install my dana 60 now. I am still swapping out to 4l80 but that is later in the season. Will get a new custom driveshaft at that time likely from Dennys.

So thats pretty much my update. Car is so great to drive around in.Its very docile the cam is a granny cam. You wouldn't even know the car is turboed just cruising around town if didn't have the emblems and 1000hp liscence plate..so much for subtle! LOL
    But spool it up and hold on tight. Thing fraking flies! Cruise missle, warp speed, these are words that come to mind. lethal, brutal, and thats is just a 7.5psi no spray yet and lots to go up on boost too.

I did want to build a car that was traction limited and not hp limited .Well succeeded for sure but also wanted a car that was very nice on the street. No lopey cam. But a tiger when you pulled its tail.

Hoping to see some dyno and track runs this season with the car. Hoping to see around 600 to 650 rwhp depending on if auto is in there at low boost around 8psi.
    Hoping to see for sure some 10s no spray and maybe even a high 9 no spray. Not planning on running big shots maybe 125 shot mostly to just spool the turbos instantly and supercool things. The do work great together. Also can run less boost and still hit my target hp. My target used to be 1000 engine hp but now its 1000rwhp.
    With 300 shot of spray max potential and 1000 engine hp with current turbos should be doable. Looking though at upgrade turbos over winter to not really for the extra power potential but just so can run nice low amounts of boost and still make same power as smaller turbos at higher boost.
    Advantages to doing it that way. A bit slower spool but thats not much of a worry.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

awesome update, would love to hear that puppy idle,

Wow, talk about some amazing horsepower, I am looking at a similar build, but not planning to go over 750 or so RWHP.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

I am planning to get a video camera in next month or so. I idles like stock pretty much that cam has very high lsa and not that much duration.Very mild cam in a 408 but that fine with me. Did'n't want lopey evil sounding cam.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Awesome, mine has a 114 LSA I want a little exhaust sound, we'll see how things turn out. do you have mufflers at all or just strait back I' have to wait and see how much sound the turbos kill

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

I have hooker ceramic coated ypipe and b and b catback with no cats. It has no rasp and is fairly quiet but good sounding.You can hear the turbos not too bad with it like that. I also have electric street pro cutout for when really want to hear the turbos and it sounds pretty good open again not really any rasp the turbos must kill the rasp the ls1 are known for.
    I was considering duals but don't really see the need. I think with the cutout open the restriction should not too be bad although it still is necking down to the 3 inch intermediate pipe.
    See how the car dynos and stuff and then decide if need to go to true duals. Car is already stupid fast so not sure how much faster I need it to be. Haven't even hit it with spray yet and still running like 8psi versus maybe 15psi at max boost.
    99TAWS6 408 APSTT,96z28 vert,97 Talon AWD turbo 650 hp potential,91 talon awd turbo auto race car project.

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans am M6

how fast are you spooling?

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Would need to do a log to know for sure but would say get full boost by 3000rpm in third on the m6. A bit higher in the lower gears. Might upgrade the turbos this winter and they would have 300 or so higher spool but can support 400 more horsepower.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Another update.
    Car is doing not bad. I have been having a problem since staring going wot machine gun type of effect. Don't think its spark blow out but defintely seems ignition related.
    Havent checked plugs yet and mabye its a wire not completely on there mabye number 8 that one is hard to get to. I have tr6ix iridiums and they were gapped to think .028 or .032. I think have narrowed it down to passenger side since logged and o2s went leaner on that side by quite a bit but fuel pulsewidths stayed constant pretty much showing its ignition related.
    I can't scan for misfires right now under load and boost since the 3bar shuts off misfire detection. I did check at idle and no misfires and did a power balance test and that was good. So the misfire issue seems to only be happening at load /boost.
    I swapped over to a hookery aerochamber catback just wanted something different from my b and b had it for a long time.

Auto swap is behind schedule and car won't be tracked or dynoed until the auto swap is done. So might be next season for that stuff.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Update. Finally got my wot machine gun problem fixed a few days ago. I had two burnt up granatelli wires! Supposed to take 1200 degrees but it burn the plug boots right thru the heat sleeves.not impressed. Also not sure whats up with this but one plug wire had no metal connector from plug boot to plug just wire shoved in there.??WTF?? It might have been a repack think the wires were open when got them.

Anyway frankensteined my wires with stock one and accel 9000 couple of them and now car pullls great to 8psi where it set for now and very happy camper. I am messing on my tune and it seems to be progressing nicely.
    Last edited by 99TAWS6; 07-24-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

damn what a frikin bummer! glad you got it figured out!

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Well update time. Car has been away since nov,2009 for winter hibernation.
    I finished swapping in my built to the hilt RPM 4l80e with yank py3400e stall converter right before car went away. Also installed slp line lock and msd two step.Bmr adjustable torque arm went in as well and installed my eboost2 controller although haven't installed the control part right now its just monitoring boost.Nice light show though!

Over winter have been buying parts. Shortly will be installing a Ron Davis radiator,high flo water pump, fluidampr balancer will be replacing my current underdrive one.Will be going with 80 pound injectors instead of current 60s as plan on upping the boost and power quite a bit this season.
    Since be going faster also have c5 z06 brake conversion happening with kvr rotors, hawk hps pads. If you are gonig to be fast you better be able to stop!
    And to clear the brakes going to chrome Torque thrust M with 17 by 9 front and 17 by 10.5 back.Been hard to get those 10.5 though but think can find a pair by spring.

Have bought some et street radials 295/45/17 size and plan to try them at track and a bit on street. Plan to dyno and track the car this season. Not sure how many runs will get at NHRA track but we have a few outlaw tracks so run there if get kicked off the NHRA.

Doing a turbo upgrade shortly on the standard Aps turbos to upgraded larger ones likely from LG motorsports. The aps standard ones have a bad reliability record so figure change them before they die probably an early death.

Last mod pretty much is adding alc injection system and possibly might try variable traction control from this company called racelogic. First going to try to ramp in my boost with my eboost2 controller by rpm and mabye by time. Ramping by gear might be best but not sure how to do that.

Hoping to finish up my 99TT and hit a few shows with it. Do a bit of underhood detailing and add some stripes.
    Course cars sometimes are never finished. Sure down the road might want an LSX 427 or something in there but for now its more than good enough I think for me.
    I thought it was decently fast last season and was just running low boost maybe around 600 to 650rwhp and haven't even hooked up the nitrous yet. Was going to run small shots only like 75 to maybe 125 shot. I don't want to push the car past that 1000rwhp on current engine or current fuel system.

Be working hard on the car around mid march and hope to have it out and about by april 1. Should be a good year if things work out and should have finally some hard numbers with the car in terms of power and drag times.
    My goals were to run around 800rwhp most of the time and mabye take it to 1000rwhp on dyno ,possibly with combo of spray and boost. Et goals will be happy with low 10s but would like to get a 9.xx even a 9.99 and would retire the car likely when do hit a 9 with it.

I have other race car project that is a dedicated race car. 91 awd auto turbo talon.
    Last edited by 99TAWS6; 02-28-2010 at 05:24 PM.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Oh yeah also went to Corsa catback for a change ,liked my B and B but had it a long time figured time for a switch.Be adding an electric cutout as well.

Black
    1999,Camaro z28

WOW that car will be sick !!! i got only one feaver please make a video how the car sound how the ca run and stuff like that and post it on LS1

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

I bought a brand new video cam high def so for sure will take some videos.
    As said the car will be out and about hopefully start of april but it might be bit longer till start really opening it up depending on road temps.

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

And not sure was clear in earlier posts. Did install dana 60. 3.54 gears. Seemed good for whine with some decel whine not much accel whine.
    Had some vibration issues which am trying some different stuff. Seemed to get worse when did the 4l80 trans swap.
    Will be adding fluidampr to the engine. Got strange driveshaft rebalanced it was out quite bit when put on the turbo 400 yoke. But didn't really get chance to drive car much since messed on it and winter hit and forced me to put it away.

white
    2000 Z28

no clue how i missed this thread. subbed. will read later

white
    2000 Z28

lol your recent updates made me think i never saw this thread before. ive actually followed it and would love to do a similar build but with lsx block. then again i change my mind between the lsx and stroked lq9 twenty times a day lol. anyways incredible build and good luck in the next few months.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

DAMN a dana 60.. talk about some weight out back! did you break a 9" or something?

RED
    1999 TRANS AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
    DAMN a dana 60.. talk about some weight out back! did you break a 9" or something?
    Pretty sure Dana is 50 pound heavier than a stock 10 bolt and only maybe 25 pounds more than a 9 inch. I like 9 inch rear ends but wanted to keep my 3 channel abs and it was plug and play rearend.
    Dana like 9 inch is very strong and not worried about weight.I have more than enough power potential in the turbos and spray to overcome a few extra pounds.
    And have done a few things that are lighter like chrome moly sway bars, torque arm but mostly did them for strength not worried about weight savings.
    And actually think that extra weight of the Dana actually helped traction a bit.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information