Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Any sts turbo cars out there?

This is a discussion on Any sts turbo cars out there? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I don't have an intercooler or meth but your car has a stroker so It was probably built for boost ...

red
    2002 ss camaro

I don't have an intercooler or meth but your car has a stroker so It was probably built for boost and cammed for it. My cam is stock also. but I still think with some tuning I can get it to 500 but just need to spend time with tuner.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Nope. No stroker, no heads, no nothing except cam. Hell, the meth kit isn't even installed. If you look, you can see the 383 shortblock and Patriot heads in the picture of all the parts.
    Like I said, its pretty much stock. Gotta fairly mild cam, LS6 intake, bigger injectors and a ported throttle body. I'm aiming for 600 to the wheels with the stock engine.

white
    2002 B4C

Knappbunch: When you are ready for a tune you need to see Nick Williams in Mooresville, NC. VA Beach ain't that far!

Squee: Do you have the car? How do you know what it's putting out? That was a hell of a deal (if that was the $9200 steal on E-bay)!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

Yea, thats my car in the auction. I just bought it yesterday so I have yet to go pick it up. Probably be a couple weeks. I asked him what it was putting down and he told me he had it dyno tuned and it was 450hp at the wheels with 5 pounds of boost. Yea, it was a pretty damn good deal since it has a $8000 motor going with it and a $7000 STS turbo, along with the car and all the parts going with it (most of which will probably be sold).

red
    2002 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    Knappbunch: When you are ready for a tune you need to see Nick Williams in Mooresville, NC. VA Beach ain't that far!

Squee: Do you have the car? How do you know what it's putting out? That was a hell of a deal (if that was the $9200 steal on E-bay)!
    I've benn working with virginia speed as of late but just ahven't gotten it ironed out yet.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Nick Williams is a solid tuner and he stands behind what he does.

I'm closer though

red
    2002 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    Nick Williams is a solid tuner and he stands behind what he does.

I'm closer though
    I'm continuing to play with it becuase I really don't want to come off another 400 bucks for the licsence to start over. Iv'e already paid about 800 for tuning since february wasn't happy with drivability from first shop and it just takes time with va speed becuase tuner is part time. every time we do it it does get better though and right now it's not costing me any more. can you tell me about what they called torque managment where it pulls out timing for to much torque because right now it pulls timing and I'm also pulling some for man. air temps above 185 (I think) because I don't have meth or an intercooler want an intercooler but I dont want to lose the le grille and I don't think the grille will alloqw the intercooler to be efficient.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by knappbunch View Post
    I'm continuing to play with it becuase I really don't want to come off another 400 bucks for the licsence to start over. Iv'e already paid about 800 for tuning since february wasn't happy with drivability from first shop and it just takes time with va speed becuase tuner is part time. every time we do it it does get better though and right now it's not costing me any more. can you tell me about what they called torque managment where it pulls out timing for to much torque because right now it pulls timing and I'm also pulling some for man. air temps above 185 (I think) because I don't have meth or an intercooler want an intercooler but I dont want to lose the le grille and I don't think the grille will alloqw the intercooler to be efficient.

I wouldn't make an engine-harming compromise like that... There is absolutely no good reason that I can think of to not-run meth on a stock bottom end in the 500rwhp range. IATs are cooled past what an air to air IC can do, it adds octane to fight engine-damaging detonation, and allows more timing to safely be run for more power.

I tuned a g5-x1 cammed WS6 that had headers, ls6 intake, and an ATI P1sc at 5psi (6-speed car) and could only make right at 450rwhp (447 I think) but the engine was only a degree or so away from knocking on the dyno, which means it would have had to be backed down for the street. Once it was tuned like that, we turned the meth on and retuned for it. The car made 495rwhp (yes with stock heads at only 5psi) on the meth and was much further away from the knock threshold.

For your question though, high intake temps and torque management are completely different things. Tq. management is something that pulls timing during shifts, and there is another table that is taking away timing as your IATs go through the roof (which they are with no meth or IC) to keep the engine from hurting itself as cylinder temps rise. There is no good safe way to make very much power without a way to cool the intake air. I'd tell you that it's an irresponsible corner to cut, especially over 4psi, but I'll save the preaching

red
    2002 ss camaro

I wouldn't make an engine-harming compromise like that... There is absolutely no good reason that I can think of to not-run meth on a stock bottom end in the 500rwhp range. IATs are cooled past what an air to air IC can do, it adds octane to fight engine-damaging detonation, and allows more timing to safely be run for more power.

I tuned a g5-x1 cammed WS6 that had headers, ls6 intake, and an ATI P1sc at 5psi (6-speed car) and could only make right at 450rwhp (447 I think) but the engine was only a degree or so away from knocking on the dyno, which means it would have had to be backed down for the street. Once it was tuned like that, we turned the meth on and retuned for it. The car made 495rwhp (yes with stock heads at only 5psi) on the meth and was much further away from the knock threshold.

For your question though, high intake temps and torque management are completely different things. Tq. management is something that pulls timing during shifts, and there is another table that is taking away timing as your IATs go through the roof (which they are with no meth or IC) to keep the engine from hurting itself as cylinder temps rise. There is no good safe way to make very much power without a way to cool the intake air. I'd tell you that it's an irresponsible corner to cut, especially over 4psi, but I'll save the preaching
    yes I know I am looking at doing something and I would like to do intercooler so I don,t have to worry about filling the tank all the time but one way or another I will do something.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

It's not like you fill up every time you get gas... a tank of meth lasts me like a month or maybe more, but I prolly only drive 8-9 days a month.

white
    2002 B4C

Frost, what would you charge to tune a system like that? I would assume it's a lot more than a regular tune with out forced induction? Just curious.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled View Post
    Frost, what would you charge to tune a system like that? I would assume it's a lot more than a regular tune with out forced induction? Just curious.
    sorry, a setup like what?

white
    2002 B4C

sorry, a setup like what?
    Sorry...forced induction. Must be a lot more to it than a naturally aspirated tune?

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If you don't max the MAF it's cake. If you do, 2 or 3 bar SD tuning takes a little longer, but man it runs well. I am much more cautious and sneak up on the right AFR and timing in FI setups.

white
    2002 B4C

If you don't max the MAF it's cake. If you do, 2 or 3 bar SD tuning takes a little longer, but man it runs well. I am much more cautious and sneak up on the right AFR and timing in FI setups.
    Still new to me, but I am starting to understand. Glad I didn't jump right into it, yet! I'll just probably let you pros handle it
    Last edited by TedsB4Csled; 06-04-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: werd

red
    2002 ss camaro

what methanol kit would you recomend??

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by knappbunch View Post
    what methanol kit would you recomend??
    Here's the deal with meth.

It becomes integral to your fuel system, so you don't skimp on quality here. The Alkycontrol kits are far and away the nicest that I have used/installed/tuned. Mine has been running hiccup free and allowing me to run 16-17psi on pump gas for over 2 years. Julio Don is the owner/engineer/customer service tech and is very knowledgeable.

white
    2002 B4C

Here's the deal with meth.

It becomes integral to your fuel system, so you don't skimp on quality here. The Alkycontrol kits are far and away the nicest that I have used/installed/tuned. Mine has been running hiccup free and allowing me to run 16-17psi on pump gas for over 2 years. Julio Don is the owner/engineer/customer service tech and is very knowledgeable.
    Wow, 16psi! I may be a newbie to forced induction/tune but that's high. On pump gas to. Now you use meth instead of the inter-cooler? And is your bottom end stock Frost? Sorry to chime in, just very interested.
    Last edited by TedsB4Csled; 06-05-2008 at 03:26 PM. Reason: more werdssssss

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

no it's not stock, it's an HKE built forged stock-inch LS1. Callies compstar rods and ARP 2000 rod bolts, stock crank, main studs, head studs, Wiseco turbo pistons, custom grind 228/228 114LSA .595 lift, TEA stg 2.5 castings that have been hand finished, 8.5:1 SCR, ls6 intake, front mount 76GTS turbo, A2A IC, alkycontrol meth, etc... car made 600rwhp at 10psi and hasn't been near a dyno since, but I run 16-17psi on the street.

more pics in the f-quick link in my sig.

white
    2002 B4C

no it's not stock, it's an HKE built forged stock-inch LS1. Callies compstar rods and ARP 2000 rod bolts, stock crank, main studs, head studs, Wiseco turbo pistons, custom grind 228/228 114LSA .595 lift, TEA stg 2.5 castings that have been hand finished, 8.5:1 SCR, ls6 intake, front mount 76GTS turbo, A2A IC, alkycontrol meth, etc... car made 600rwhp at 10psi and hasn't been near a dyno since, but I run 16-17psi on the street.

Click for full size

more pics in the f-quick link in my sig.
    Wow! Sweet ride, and amazing performance. Impressive. I'll check the pics. Thanks!

Now I know that car! Its on your Lsxtune site! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!
    Last edited by TedsB4Csled; 06-05-2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: MORE!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information