Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Am i to hot?

This is a discussion on Am i to hot? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Is the temp you are referring to water or oil temp? These stirke me as high for water temp. I ...

Rhino21149
    Is the temp you are referring to water or oil temp? These stirke me as high for water temp.

I have a C5R 427 vette running a D1SC, with a good (can't remember the name but it cost a pretty penny as was super well made) double-roow radiator with built in oil cooler. On 100 degree F days it runs up to a final 185degF water/194degF oil on the highway (steady 70 mph), 196degF/208degF at idle or in traffic, with the air off:::: or 190-194degF water/208-212degF oil on the highway, 206-212degF water/235-237degF oil at long idle with the air on. That last oil temp bothers me some.

In order to fit the D1SC and the thicker core radiator, i had to relocate and re-size the fan to a bunch of small ones and I've wondered if I have enough of them.. Don't know how yours are.

02' hawk
    Yes, i am refering to the water temp. I assume that the stock radiater is not big enough. What kind of cfm are you pulling through your new one?

Rhino21149
    I don't know the cfm actually going through the radiator. It's a mess under the hood - even though we have been neat and procedural throughout, we're just running out of room with SC and intercoolers and pipes. The D1SC air cleaner is right up against the back of the radiator. I have three smaller diameter fans mounted in there - not sure what their cfm was rated at by manufacturers, but I'm not sure they can draw well anyway. I've thought of trying to mount more fans and put fans front and back, not sure what to do::: for now I just don't run the AC while I talk to the speed shop about it.

02' hawk
    Who makes the radiator that you have? I might need to get me one, but for a T/A!

Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by 02' hawk
    Who makes the radiator that you have? I might need to get me one, but for a T/A!
    I can't remember for the life of me. Been trying to think of it. It was a two word persons name like Ron Trip or Ben Jones, company. But it was beautiful and had an integral oil cooler with AN fittings and all. (Oil cooler takes on 3-4 pounds of pressure, too.).

Particularly if you have3 a stroker crank you want to get an oil cooler. The lack of windage gap with a stroker means you beat up the oil pretty badly, I'm told -- one reasons why GM went with dry sump on the LS7 ZO6.

Rhino21149
    Has anyone tried the electric water pumps - do they push more water faster -- ought to help cooling.

02' hawk
    Yes it is still there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information