Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

9lbs on stock bottom end ?

This is a discussion on 9lbs on stock bottom end ? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I went with the smaller 5lb pulley and had a dyno-tune done by Bryan Herter at PCMS For Less. I ...

Lanc. PA

1998 Camaro SS Vert

I went with the smaller 5lb pulley and had a dyno-tune done by Bryan Herter at PCMS For Less. I made 460.8 horsepower at the wheels. Thinking about doing a Low compression 402 stroker kit and then bumping it up to 9 lbs.

'90 5.0 LX

9lb dangerous on a stock 349 bottom end? Why? I've got 14# on my stock 302 w/ no intercooler (methanol injected though) and my motor's running strong and I have not problems. It's ALL in the tune. 5# can blow a motor up if the car isn't tuned properly. Find yourself a reputable tuner and you'll be fine.

Huntsville, AL

1999 WS6

Been there done that 2 times with the LT1 motor. Both only 6lbs, one intercooled the other not. I dropped the compression to around 9.5 and I have a 95 HAWK with 157k miles on motor with 6lbs. Sold my 92 intercooled vette with 30k on blower /intercooler which I dropped the CR to 9.5 and it was still running strong. I would say NO WAY unless you plan on a rebuild soon especially if you live in the south with all the Hot air to help the situation.

Northern VA

Dark blue metallic
    1999 Camaro SS

I agree with the above to a point - it's all in the tune. But to me running 9lbs of boost with no intercooler or aftercooler is going to raise the air inlet temps so high the tune will be retarding timing way to much.

It seems to me you'd be better off running less boost with an intercooler or meth injection. You'll make the same power with a good tune and be safer in the long run.

In any application, heat is the enemy. If I went with a non-intercooled kit on virtually anything it would be with the intention of adding an intercooler later (or doing a custom setup or meth kit) and in the meantime run low boost until I got something in to cool the incoming air.

Yes a tune could make it safer, but all in all it's terribly inefficient IMO.

Have you looked into the meth kits yet? I think the kit from Snow is only about $500 and they're very easy to install.

After the cost of a blower and install, plus the potential cost of a motor, something like that becomes cheap insurance.

And oh yeah, tune tune tune.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information