Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

9lbs on stock bottom end ?

Hey everyone, I just got finished putting a vortech V-9 G-trim supercharger on my 1998 Camaro SS. I am setup to run 9lbs of boost. However, I'm not intercooling. The guys at Vortech said I'd be ok as long as I have it programmed, which I'm having a dyno-tune done next wednesday. A local performance shop said my bottom end should be good up to 600hp. Wondering what you guys think, because I was thinking it might get to warm and build up to much pressure without the cooler. What'd you think ?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

500 rwhp is as far as I would go. And since your are not intercooled I would be careful.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinSS
    Hey everyone, I just got finished putting a vortech V-9 G-trim supercharger on my 1998 Camaro SS. I am setup to run 9lbs of boost. However, I'm not intercooling. The guys at Vortech said I'd be ok as long as I have it programmed, which I'm having a dyno-tune done next wednesday. A local performance shop said my bottom end should be good up to 600hp. Wondering what you guys think, because I was thinking it might get to warm and build up to much pressure without the cooler. What'd you think ?
    My first instinct tells me that you will not be okay at 9 psi without intercooling. I think you'll have problems. Good luck!

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

if it blows up

JAMES RODRIGUEZ
    I'd say 9 psi non-intercooled is a little too high.

Impounded
    I wouldnt do 5lbs w/o some way to cool the incoming air.

Red
    2002 Trans Am

Yeah definitely cool that air before pushing it that hard.

Black/Screaming Yellow
    99 S/C TA WS6 & 04 Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinSS
    Vortech kits have an aftercooler on them. An intercooler would have to be fabbed up. Does your kit have the aftercooler on it? If it does you should be fine with a good tune. If you have no aftercooler or intercooler 9 PSI will definitely be too much boost unless you have your compression dropped a little from stock. I think you will still have problems with detonation in the high rpms!
    Last edited by Packy; 06-21-2006 at 05:30 AM.
    1999 Trans Am WS6 Black - Forged 346, P1SC (8psi), TH-400, and 12 bolt(3.73's)
    10.29@129 w/1.60 sixty foot

2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang Cobra - Whipple 2.3, Exhaust, & CCW's...My DD

Black
    '98 SS

You may want to look into meth injection . It will give you a killer intercooling affect as well as adding some much needed octane .

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

500 HP on a stock bottom end is pushing it bad. A guy I knew who had a STS on his 02 w/under 20k on the engine blew his bottom end and he had 500HP then again he wasnt intercooled and had high boost.

JAMES RODRIGUEZ
    Quote Originally Posted by FantaZGuy28 View Post
    500 HP on a stock bottom end is pushing it bad. A guy I knew who had a STS on his 02 w/under 20k on the engine blew his bottom end and he had 500HP then again he wasnt intercooled and had high boost.

Anything over 10 psi on stock bottom end is asking for trouble. I have been pushing 500 at the whhels for a while with no issues. So far so good.

Silver
    '02 WS6 Procharged 9psi

i have 20,000 miles on a procharger set up for 9-10 psi... with a good tune from bob at EPP, im putting down 490rwhp on their mustang dyno... and things are still running really well! but keep in mind, im not redlining it at every stop sign/light

Mag Red
    '98 C5

I would not go over 4-5lbs.......stock LS1 bottom ends usually break after crossing the 520-530 threshold

I have the exact setup you are talking about on my 98 with aftercooler. I am running 5-8 pounds with a fuel/air of 12:1 an making 475 at the tires. 9 is pushing it better rethink that move.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Ok....I would say 9lbs is pushing it because depending on the method you use to force the air in there....turbo....supercharger....you have to keep an eye on your inlet air temps.....you get past 6-7lbs on some and the temps start climbing.....I had a stock LS1 and threw 9lbs to it and it didn't last that long....the 98 blocks dont have the best cylinder walls compared to the LS2's. I ended up putting an SLP 402 in mine with a 76mm turbo.....I know a lot of guys talk about intercoolers and all but I'm totally sold on methanol injection!! I purchased the kit from Snow Performance and I love it!! It dropped the inlet air temps 60+ degrees!! And you dont have to worry about pressure loss thru an intercooler....when I say I'm running 15lbs of boost....I'm running 15lbs of boost....if you have an intercooler you'll lose a few pounds.......bottom line...I dont know if I'd put 9lbs of boost on your stock bottom end.......but hey....it's your motor.....

Red
    2002 Trans Am

Sure with an IC you have to deal with pressure loss but the safety and reliability surpasses that of a meth kit. With the meth kit you'll have to keep a close eye on your meth levels and make sure its always full. You have to worry about your pumps failing which could be disasterous for your engine. I'm sure theres more things that could go wrong with the meth kit which could hurt your engine but the possibility of a pump failing is whats going to make me go IC when my time comes. I say run an IC and if you need/want more cooling throw a meth kit on top of that. At least that way when the meth kit fails you'll still have the IC backing you up.

Although I'm not Force fed as of yet I've done my fair share of research and I'm pretty sure 9 lbs is way too much to be running without some form of cooling. I think its safe to say that you shouldnt be running more than 5 lbs without cooling from an IC or meth.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by dementia View Post
    Sure with an IC you have to deal with pressure loss but the safety and reliability surpasses that of a meth kit. With the meth kit you'll have to keep a close eye on your meth levels and make sure its always full. You have to worry about your pumps failing which could be disasterous for your engine. I'm sure theres more things that could go wrong with the meth kit which could hurt your engine but the possibility of a pump failing is whats going to make me go IC when my time comes. I say run an IC and if you need/want more cooling throw a meth kit on top of that. At least that way when the meth kit fails you'll still have the IC backing you up.

Although I'm not Force fed as of yet I've done my fair share of research and I'm pretty sure 9 lbs is way too much to be running without some form of cooling. I think its safe to say that you shouldnt be running more than 5 lbs without cooling from an IC or meth.
    You know...I used to think the same way until I gave the kit a try. I use the Snow Performance unit on my car and all the worries you talked about are gone with some carefull planning. I plumed the system into my windshield washer resevoir. If you run low then will see the light come on....as far as the pump goes you can make a fail safe......I have a buzzer that will come on if there is no pressure detected coming from the pump.....kinda like the STS oil system has on it's turbo if it's not getting oil.......I'm a believer in methanol now....you cant get any intercooler that will cool as well......

Red
    2002 Convertible z28

I would say you will be pushing it!!

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    My first instinct tells me that you will not be okay at 9 psi without intercooling. I think you'll have problems. Good luck!
    I think 9lbs without an intercooler is insane.

No one could ever convince me it would be fine.

If I was you Id look for a used intercooler setup at least.

i blew my motor up with 9 psi with the aftercooler, so goodluck if you don't have the aftercooler.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information