Results 1 to 10 of 10

5psi STS stock turbo vs GTturbo info...

This is a discussion on 5psi STS stock turbo vs GTturbo info... within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; I was considering a STS 5psi turbo kit. (with fuel upgrades) Can anyone tell me if the if the $400 ...

  1. #1
    Member Rich L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    near Atco NJ
    Age
    48
    Posts
    108

    Burgandy
    2002 Z28

    5psi STS stock turbo vs GTturbo info...

    I was considering a STS 5psi turbo kit. (with fuel upgrades)

    Can anyone tell me if the if the $400 upgraded Garrett GT67 turbo makes much more horespower than the stock turbo that comes with the basic kit at only 5psi???

    I couldnt find ANY info on the GT67 turbo!

    I assume at 5 psi that the hp difference would not be that great. (but I couldnt find more info)

    BTW: I will be getting a 3200vig stall converter too.

    Any info would be greatly appreciated. I didnt know if the $400 would be better off spent elsewhere.
    2002 A4 Z28: SLP LM exhaust and HSW 100whp dry shot.

    NA: 323.4WHP@5360 RPMs, 344.2ft-lbs@4610 RPMs,
    N2O: 417.0WHP@5200 RPMs, 467.6ft-lbs@4210RPMs

    NA: 13.351@107.48mph, N2O: 12.324@117.88


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMHmdFywR0w

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    south dakota
    Age
    36
    Posts
    60
    01 M6 SS Turbo

    the bigger turbo is more efficient at HIGHER psi, so if you plan to only run 5-8, then the answer would be no. The smaller turbo would spool better and still flow enough air at higher rpms.

  3. #3
    Member Rich L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    near Atco NJ
    Age
    48
    Posts
    108

    Burgandy
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by matt89 View Post
    the bigger turbo is more efficient at HIGHER psi, so if you plan to only run 5-8, then the answer would be no. The smaller turbo would spool better and still flow enough air at higher rpms.
    I was under the impression that the GT series have the ball bearing design, and thus less lag.

    Im just miffed that I couldnt find any good info on this turbo.
    My other though was that since I was not planning to run an intercooler, the bigger turbo could help because would blow cooler air.

  4. #4
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    I was under the impression that the GT series have the ball bearing design, and thus less lag.

    Im just miffed that I couldnt find any good info on this turbo.
    My other though was that since I was not planning to run an intercooler, the bigger turbo could help because would blow cooler air.
    The GT67 should support about 750 flywheel horsepower.....basically it's not a matter of if the turbo would have to work harder to get the psi you're wanting.....it's a matter of the blades and how much air they can move effeciently.....I think the basic turbo on the STS is the GT60.....you can get 8psi out of those but it really beats the air up......the 67's will have a very minute bit of lag but nothing you'll be able to see......it comes down to what do you want the car to do.....you will get the basic turbo and like that but then you'll be hit with the "I want to go faster" bug and then you'll want to upgrade the turbo......if you are mechanically inclined you can build a system like the STS and it will cost you way less..........I looked at their system and built one like it....came in way less and I got a 76mm turbo..........just something to ponder........

  5. #5
    Member Rich L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    near Atco NJ
    Age
    48
    Posts
    108

    Burgandy
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    The GT67 should support about 750 flywheel horsepower.....basically it's not a matter of if the turbo would have to work harder to get the psi you're wanting.....it's a matter of the blades and how much air they can move effeciently.....I think the basic turbo on the STS is the GT60.....you can get 8psi out of those but it really beats the air up......the 67's will have a very minute bit of lag but nothing you'll be able to see......it comes down to what do you want the car to do.....you will get the basic turbo and like that but then you'll be hit with the "I want to go faster" bug and then you'll want to upgrade the turbo......if you are mechanically inclined you can build a system like the STS and it will cost you way less..........I looked at their system and built one like it....came in way less and I got a 76mm turbo..........just something to ponder........
    Your absolutely right. Plus I was thinking the higher stall converter would help any lag of this turbo.

    I went to Garrett's website and couldnt find any info at all?!

  6. #6
    Junior Member crazycat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    new york
    Age
    47
    Posts
    60

    red
    95 z28 convertible

    I have the basic 60-1 turbo and I am now upgrading to the gt67. I was told by sts that both turbos at the same psi, that the gt67 would make quite a bit more power. I think at 7psi the gt 67 , he said it would make like 30 or 40 more hp.

  7. #7
    Member Rich L's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    near Atco NJ
    Age
    48
    Posts
    108

    Burgandy
    2002 Z28

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by crazycat View Post
    I have the basic 60-1 turbo and I am now upgrading to the gt67. I was told by sts that both turbos at the same psi, that the gt67 would make quite a bit more power. I think at 7psi the gt 67 , he said it would make like 30 or 40 more hp.
    Thanks for the info. I figured it would make more power, but not that much more at only 5psi. Its good to know that with only 7psi it can make a difference.The GT-67 is like the mystery turbo, I cant find any charts or graphs about. Only that it supports 750hp.

    Do you have the methanol kit? I was considering just getting one and going with 2 boost settings (5psi and 8psi). What are the negatives of methonal?

    (I know that you need to get stronger valve springs, to run the 8psi)

  8. #8
    Member cailey37's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    832

    Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    Your absolutely right. Plus I was thinking the higher stall converter would help any lag of this turbo.

    I went to Garrett's website and couldnt find any info at all?!
    Take a look at this site: Got a lot of good info for you.

    http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ch_center.html

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Age
    40
    Posts
    58

    Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

    I ran 8 psi intercooled on my stock engine and put down 475 to the wheels. But, anything above 5500 rpm, something wasn't holding up. I think it was a combination of valve float, and the 60 trim turbo choking at 8 psi.

    The 67 will be well worth the money, but you might want to invest in an intercooler so you can take full advantage of that size turbo.
    2002 Camaro SS-STS kit, LME built 370, h/c, and a bunch of other stuff

    5psi-456 rwhp 498 rwtq ran out of fuel!!

  10. #10
    Junior Member jakesz28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    iowa
    Age
    45
    Posts
    55

    teal
    94 z28

    Quote Originally Posted by cailey37 View Post
    The GT67 should support about 750 flywheel horsepower.....basically it's not a matter of if the turbo would have to work harder to get the psi you're wanting.....it's a matter of the blades and how much air they can move effeciently.....I think the basic turbo on the STS is the GT60.....you can get 8psi out of those but it really beats the air up......the 67's will have a very minute bit of lag but nothing you'll be able to see......it comes down to what do you want the car to do.....you will get the basic turbo and like that but then you'll be hit with the "I want to go faster" bug and then you'll want to upgrade the turbo......if you are mechanically inclined you can build a system like the STS and it will cost you way less..........I looked at their system and built one like it....came in way less and I got a 76mm turbo..........just something to ponder........
    If you don't mind could I see some pictures of your turbo kit? That is what I have been considering for a while.
    Thanks Mike

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. turbo info
    By oldpurple73 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 10:06 AM
  2. Turbo kit info????
    By KnightmareWS6 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-31-2009, 10:50 PM
  3. looking for info on turbo size?
    By 99transamC/FIA in forum General Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-17-2008, 02:27 PM
  4. looking for info on parish8s turbo fairmont
    By bradyfred77 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 09:06 PM
  5. Trying to get info on twin turbo setups
    By 03YellowZO6 in forum Forced Induction
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-08-2006, 08:58 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •