Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

402 ci S/C Vortec overheating

This is a discussion on 402 ci S/C Vortec overheating within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Some people have the same problems you do running dexacool. If thats what your using, try flushing out the cooling ...

Some people have the same problems you do running dexacool. If thats what your using, try flushing out the cooling system and use regular antifreez. If you already are, or that don't work, then i think you have one of them car gremlins.

ive heard of people having similar problems as you running dexicool. Try flushing out your cooling system and using regular coolant. If i don't work or you are using regular coolant, then you might have one of them car gremlins.

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Talking

Woooohoooo found the problem, removed the blower belt and intercooler and found that the F%@*ing intercooler is too thick and restricting the air flow, ran it for 40 minutes at 1/2 throttle 3600 rpm in 5th and temp crept up to 230, backed the load off a little and temp came back down, Sweet, ordering another intercooler tomorrow. The intercooler was upplied with the blower kit and they knew what i was fitting it to, not happy but will have a 'friendly' chat with them in the morning

Thanks for all the input people, I'll post up some pics when it's all finished with some dyno figures.

Dave

2002ss

Just curious on your car did you reinstall the plastic wind deflector on the bottom of the front bumper? This will cause the car to also run hot.

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Yep, we fitted the deflector and sealed off around the radiator so the air has to go through it instead of escaping around the sides.

Dave

green
    98 formula

sounds like a timing issue to me or maybe the temp guage wire is on the exhaust, or maybe the guage is bad? maybe try a manual temp guage on the dyno most importantly dont work on it when you are pissed that just makes it worse good luck!!

BOSSONNOS

Turismo Blue
    2005 Holden 502rwhp

Well tried a new intercooler and worst luck, she's still getting hot. I really thought it was the intercooler that was the problem so guess what now..........yep the engine is coming out, the more miles we put on this thing the easier it is overheating. Not happy Will keep you posted.

We don't allow alcohol on the premise so no chance of any one getting pissed while they are working.

green
    98 formula

so is it a customers vehicle? does it still have the crossover for the coolant? im sure its something small that is causing th problem my turbo car runs fairly cool actually cooler than my other nearly stock onelike i said before good luck

1998 M6 vert TA

There is a steel pipe on top of the engine (I don't remenber how it's called) to remove the air bubbles that accumulate in the heads.
    If it doesn't work properly the coolant won't flow properly.

You measure the heads temperature. Is the coolant temperature as high as the heads?

Have you tried without thermostat? Only with the housing?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information