08 Vette Procharger annoying belt squeak?

This is a discussion on 08 Vette Procharger annoying belt squeak? within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My friend here at work bought a brand new convertable 08 Vette last spring and had a Procharger installed mid ...

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

08 Vette Procharger annoying belt squeak?

My friend here at work bought a brand new convertable 08 Vette last spring and had a Procharger installed mid summer. Car is an animal! 535hp/485tq Only problem is the drive belt squeaks like crazy now. He's had it back at the shop a few times and still no fix. He's been dabbing some type of sticky grease like gel on it to keep it quiet but that's only a temp fix. On my Camaro I had a similiar squeak and I changed out the tensioner and it was gone. They tell him Procharger is working on a fix but its still too new...? Anyone have a similiar problem or any potential advice?
    Last edited by Joe00SS; 02-27-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Trans Am owner
    former

is it actaully reptitive squeaking, or is it a constant kind of screeching?

dont rub lubricative stuff on serpentine belts. you arent supposed to because it'll slip on the pulleys.

post up a video. or, try seeing what side of the engine its coming from.

White Liquid Silver

Weather permiting (snow coming monday) I'll try and get a video with my blackberry next week if he drives it to work. We had a few nice days this week so he had it out. Its a repetitive squeaking and I want to say its coming from the passenger side by the charger, my guess is it needs a stronger tensioner or belt. I want to say the car only has less than 5k miles.

And I told him not to put anything on the belts but he said its the only thing that quiets it so its not embarrasing when he starts it.

Trans Am owner
    former

it could be the blower pulley. they are known for being loud, but I dont know if its a porblematic squeak, or if its just the blower screechin.

I'll think about what it'd be

White Liquid Silver

the blower pulley makes that grinding type noise, this is more of a belt squeaking noise, it goes away if he coats it with the sticky gel stuff. It looks like we might get a foot of snow tomorrow so it might be a few days before I can get a vid...sucks! I can wait to be done with this crap.

White Liquid Silver

I got a video on my phone, hopefully it works.
    Last edited by Joe00SS; 03-12-2009 at 02:42 PM.

White Liquid Silver

try it in youtube...this is my first time doing this, sorry if it doesn't work.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

Sounds like pulleyes are off a bit/misaligned,did they change belts yet? Ive had several procharger setups they all have belt issues<main reason I went turbos.not knocking em just stating facts.

White Liquid Silver

They've changed the belt twice and the tensioner once, Procharger last week suggested shimming it, maybe that has something to do with alignment? According to the shop its a big job, I told the guy who owns the car that if I paid 13k to have it done , I'd expect it to be done as many times as it takes to get it right!

White Liquid Silver

Correction: Procharger told him they are developing a stronger tensioner. Shop that installed it said they had to shim a Camaro once to get rid of the squeak but it took 3 attempts to get it right. Since its so much labor they suggested waiting for Procharger.... brand new Vette cost +13k for a charger to have it squeak like that everytime when I start it, I'd be on the phone with them everyday!

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

yes I figured belt alignament,think by now in at least the factroy setups they would have that all fixed..
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Guys, I have a 2002 Z06 with a ProCharger D-1SC. After two years, I'm now getting a belt squeal for about the first five minutes of driving. After that it's gone. Is that what happens to you? Or do you experience the squeal continually?

1998 Firebird Formula WS6

Quote Originally Posted by koset View Post
    Guys, I have a 2002 Z06 with a ProCharger D-1SC. After two years, I'm now getting a belt squeal for about the first five minutes of driving. After that it's gone. Is that what happens to you? Or do you experience the squeal continually?
    while i am no expert it sounds like it needs a new belt. Old car belts will do the same thing, squeek at first then when they are warm they stop. A new belt should fix that.

White Liquid Silver

Agree with above...either a new belt or tensioner...the Vette squeaked all the time.

My Camaro however developed a squeak when cold last year, only when it was first started, I changed the belt and then the tensioner before it went away for good.

black
    1999 T/A

for the old belt you should try using some water based valve grinding compound on the inner surface. very effective.

'98,'00 Bird '03, 14 Vets

Believe it or not bees wax on the back side of my S-Belt has fixed many a squealing belt for me. Do not use belt dressing or anything like that on the ribs. When I tried that it just made things worse.

Good luck....

Tensioners seem to be one of the main causes as well.

Thread Information