Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

$11K to spend......

This is a discussion on $11K to spend...... within the Forced Induction forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; This is a pretty cool site that I found. They have some pretty serious turbo kits which include install, tune ...

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

This is a pretty cool site that I found. They have some pretty serious turbo kits which include install, tune and everything. As with the others, K member required along with some other mods. They have a few different selections though. Awesome custom work though.

http://www.ls1speed.com/turbo.cfm

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I would build a bad ass engine, get stainless headers and true duals,9" rear, install sfc, Adjustable Torque arm , relocation brackets and some nitto dr's w/ weld pro stars.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I would build a bad ass engine, get stainless headers and true duals,9" rear, install sfc, Adjustable Torque arm , relocation brackets and some nitto dr's w/ weld pro stars.
    That's what i'm sayin man. If he had $20K to spend I'd say get a blown stroker. But with that cash he can do real well N/A. That's the way i'd go. A stock ls1 with a turbo or supercharger usually gets around 450-500 rwhp. But the same or better numbers can be reached with a stroker that can solidly withstand FI down the road. I would absolutely get the stainless LT's and true duals tho. Damn i wish i was rich!

BTW, is that ur camaro in ur avatar? if so...... GOD DAMN!!
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD, !AIR, !EGR, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    That's what i'm sayin man. If he had $20K to spend I'd say get a blown stroker. But with that cash he can do real well N/A. That's the way i'd go. A stock ls1 with a turbo or supercharger usually gets around 450-500 rwhp. But the same or better numbers can be reached with a stroker that can solidly withstand FI down the road. I would absolutely get the stainless LT's and true duals tho. Damn i wish i was rich!

BTW, is that ur camaro in ur avatar? if so...... GOD DAMN!!
    Nahhhh thats not mine(I wish!!!) But yeah no doubt-fuck puttin that shit on a stock engine.

a red 1 and a silver 1
    1993,2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by pinky93 View Post
    I know you are right.... but who ever listens??

HAHA...you will be hearing me whine about those holes in my pistons before long!!
    amen bro im the same way!! good luck with what ever you do!

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

literallly tons and tons of stock bottom ended cars live for years for at 550rwhp and lots more than you would expect at the 600-650rwhp level. Most of the 600-650rwhp stock bottom ends that stay together are turbo rather than SC'd believe it or not...

Not sure where the above poster said 450-500, but understand that 550 is just a pulley away with a S/C or the push of a button/twist of a knob away on a turbo setup.

The top right video on my video page http://www.lsxtune.com/video.htm is a car that has a cam-only stock long-block and has been at the 630+ rwhp level for 3 years and raced quite a bit. Moving from the 6-speed in the dyno video to an auto, his car ran a 10.33 @ 135 spinning through most of first gear. The car should go 9s on the stock bottom end this year if 60' allows.

Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Quote Originally Posted by Frost View Post
    literallly tons and tons of stock bottom ended cars live for years for at 550rwhp and lots more than you would expect at the 600-650rwhp level. Most of the 600-650rwhp stock bottom ends that stay together are turbo rather than SC'd believe it or not...

Not sure where the above poster said 450-500, but understand that 550 is just a pulley away with a S/C or the push of a button/twist of a knob away on a turbo setup.

The top right video on my video page http://www.lsxtune.com/video.htm is a car that has a cam-only stock long-block and has been at the 630+ rwhp level for 3 years and raced quite a bit. Moving from the 6-speed in the dyno video to an auto, his car ran a 10.33 @ 135 spinning through most of first gear. The car should go 9s on the stock bottom end this year if 60' allows.
    Hmmm, i see. I was just making that assumption from what I have heard other people saying. I don't really have any experience with FI. I also know that an ls1 has no forged parts which definitely affects its stability.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

If you think putting that on a stock bottom is fine thats up to you-however- If I had that kind of money I would do things right.

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

If you think putting that on a stock bottom is fine thats up to you-however- If I had that kind of money I would do things right.
    Why are the tons of people who started out at 7-10psi on their stock bottom ends wrong? Why is my buddy's Z06 supercharged and running 10.6s (M6 remember, pics of his car on my site and on the first page) on a stock bottom end and 8psi/meth "wrong"? It's been at that level for over 3 years and would even make an awesome daily driver at 550rwhp seeing as it has a stock feeling clutch and a stock cam. That's wrong? Why is the owner of the black SS that I linked in my vid section "wrong" for running 10s for 3 years (and countless street races) on his stock bottom end? What is your depth of experience with FI that you can tell all of the people with FI on stock bottom ends that they are "wrong"? ATI's p1sc kit, STS's kits, and quite a few Vortech setups are pretty much made for stock engines. Are they wrong too?

Not everyone has the money to build a full tilt FI drag car, and more don't want one. The vette's I tune with power adders (and many f-bodies) want HP and driveability. You think you can make 500-600rwhp on a stock bottom end with H/C and even come ANYWHERE close to driveability of a SC/turbo? No.

Just because it's the way they choose to do it and not the way that you would doesn't mean it's "not right". I have tuned far more FI setups on stock bottom ends than built ones.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just disagree.

red
    2000 trans am ws.6

I agree with Frost. theres allways a wrong way and right way to do things but running something on a stock bottom end isnt one of those scenerios. the wrong way would be to put a kit on a stock bottom end and not tunning for it, that would be wrong. i sprayed for 3 years on a stock bottom end with countless runs and never had a problem untill i upped it to 200 and went direct port...it finally decided it had enough.
    2000 WS.6 Trans am M6
    402 W/APS Twin turbos for support...
    1999 Firebird Formula Hardtop M6
    www.cardomain.com/id/twinturboramair

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Why are the tons of people who started out at 7-10psi on their stock bottom ends wrong? Why is my buddy's Z06 supercharged and running 10.6s (M6 remember, pics of his car on my site and on the first page) on a stock bottom end and 8psi/meth "wrong"? It's been at that level for over 3 years and would even make an awesome daily driver at 550rwhp seeing as it has a stock feeling clutch and a stock cam. That's wrong? Why is the owner of the black SS that I linked in my vid section "wrong" for running 10s for 3 years (and countless street races) on his stock bottom end? What is your depth of experience with FI that you can tell all of the people with FI on stock bottom ends that they are "wrong"? ATI's p1sc kit, STS's kits, and quite a few Vortech setups are pretty much made for stock engines. Are they wrong too?

Not everyone has the money to build a full tilt FI drag car, and more don't want one. The vette's I tune with power adders (and many f-bodies) want HP and driveability. You think you can make 500-600rwhp on a stock bottom end with H/C and even come ANYWHERE close to driveability of a SC/turbo? No.

Just because it's the way they choose to do it and not the way that you would doesn't mean it's "not right". I have tuned far more FI setups on stock bottom ends than built ones.

You know what I meant when I said that- I didnt mean that anyone was "wrong" and you know it.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 03-20-2008 at 10:21 PM.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Nahhhh thats not mine(I wish!!!) But yeah no doubt-fuck puttin that shit on a stock engine.
    I didn't reply on purpose to this response. I know some may feel it is a mistake for me to boost a stock engine, however I am willing to take that chance. If she blows, we build it bigger and better!

I have built so many engines in my life, I cannot count. I have crewed for Top Alcohol Dragsters, I work on 7,000 horsepower jet engines, I know what boost is and what it can do.

I have never built a turbocharged car, so that is my goal now. I have always done heads and cam, etc. and have lost driveablility because of this.

I am excited about this. Regardless of my outcome, either success or failure, rest assured I will share all of my experiences here on the board. This is a great place to learn from others and share in what they have learned.....mistake or not.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback and advice.
    2002 Camaro SS - SLP # 7744
    SLP SFC
    SLP Blackwing
    SLP Panhard Bar
    SLP LCA's
    SLP 85mm MAF
    SLP 160 degree stat
    SLP Y-pipe
    Diablo Tuner

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

You know what I meant when I said that- I didnt mean that anyone was "wrong" and you know it.
    I just replied to what you posted "If I had that kind of money I would do things right". not trying to start an argument; I don't know what you meant, all I have to go on is what you said here.
    Last edited by Frost; 03-21-2008 at 08:01 AM.

Red
    2001 SS (M6) #4581

Just my .2 cents so take it for what its worth

This is just me (and some others), but you should seriously consider doing some of those chassis / suspension upgrades you mentioned. If youre just going for straight cool factor and the ooh's and ahh's when you lift the hood, a flashy power adder is probly the ticket for you. But a real car guy is going to see all that and immediatly hit his belly looking under the car for suspension, drive line, and chassis upgrades. If you go and blow your whole wad on a big power add, youre going to be really depressed when you cant drive the thing because you broke something that you now dont have the cash to fix. If you dont care about blowing the motor up, then spend your cash on a rear dif, driveshaft / clutch / flywheel, throw a 5 gallon tank of nitrous at it and let it eat. Atleast when the thing hand grenades, youll have a chassis and drivetrain that you can put anyhting in front of. Down here in Texas we would probably seriously question the douche baggery of a car owner with a bone stock chassis and driveline with twin turbos

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by ss_caramo View Post
    Just my .2 cents so take it for what its worth

This is just me (and some others), but you should seriously consider doing some of those chassis / suspension upgrades you mentioned. If youre just going for straight cool factor and the ooh's and ahh's when you lift the hood, a flashy power adder is probly the ticket for you. But a real car guy is going to see all that and immediatly hit his belly looking under the car for suspension, drive line, and chassis upgrades. If you go and blow your whole wad on a big power add, youre going to be really depressed when you cant drive the thing because you broke something that you now dont have the cash to fix. If you dont care about blowing the motor up, then spend your cash on a rear dif, driveshaft / clutch / flywheel, throw a 5 gallon tank of nitrous at it and let it eat. Atleast when the thing hand grenades, youll have a chassis and drivetrain that you can put anyhting in front of. Down here in Texas we would probably seriously question the douche baggery of a car owner with a bone stock chassis and driveline with twin turbos
    A douche baggery of a car owner??? WTF???

I AM going to do the suspension mods. I already have the LCA's, the SFC's and the rest will be coming soon. I will have to baby it until I get a rear end and am able to beef up the tranny, but that will be progresss. The last thing will be the forged engine.......

My only point was I will NOT have this big of a wad of cash in the future. So, I can do everything else a bit at a time, and then save up for the engine. The big money needs to be spent towards what I eventually want the car to be. Right now the turbo will be a big ticket item out of the way, I AM upgrading the fuel system, I will get a safe tune, I am getting the BMR K-Member, (which is a big step in the right direction), I spent $700 on gauges alone to monitor this thing. But, I don't have the money to do it all at once.

I am a gear head, just like many of you that have a passion for thier cars. I have built many cars, motorcycles, boats....whatever and even helped friends with thiers. Yeah, over the years, not all of them turned out like we wanted, but we learned from it. It is what makes it fun, you follow through with an idea or a dream and see if you can make it work. If you do, great. If you don't, just be cool enough to share the experience with others, so they can learn from it too.

It is just that with 4 kids, 1 in college, etc, I cannot spend every damn dime on this car.

I just put this on here to get some people's opinion and look for some advice, not to get bashed. You don't EVER have to agree with what I do with my car.

Keep it constructive, or keep it to yourself.
    Last edited by pinky93; 03-22-2008 at 05:30 AM.

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

I agree alot more stock bottom end car pushin alot of power out there TUNED right they last and make awesome power,my ls2 has over 700hp with 10 psi boost car flat ass flys..I have a 408 seting on the stand planns for more boost are in the near future stock motor will be kept for backup.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

Red
    2001 SS (M6) #4581

Quote Originally Posted by pinky93 View Post

I just put this on here to get some people's opinion and look for some advice, not to get bashed. You don't EVER have to agree with what I do with my car.

Keep it constructive, or keep it to yourself.
    Wasnt bashing you at all bud. Nor do I really give 3 shits about what you do to your car. My opinion was very constructive. My opinion is what most other people with any common sense would think as well. These cars break stock diff.'s with stock power, and tweak frames w/o sub connectors with stock power. I dont care if you put 3000hp under the SOB. I too have built plenty of cars, one of which probably has more horsepower than all the cars youve built combined. Be careful where you put your foot, it will likely end up in your mouth as it did here.

In the future, dont ask for peoples advice (or opinion) in an open thread, if you dont really want it. Mmkay?
    Last edited by ss_caramo; 03-22-2008 at 05:52 PM.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ss_caramo View Post
    Wasnt bashing you at all bud. Nor do I really give 3 shits about what you do to your car. My opinion was very constructive. My opinion is what most other people with any common sense would think as well. These cars break stock diff.'s with stock power, and tweak frames w/o sub connectors with stock power. I dont care if you put 3000hp under the SOB. I too have built plenty of cars, one of which probably has more horsepower than all the cars youve built combined. Be careful where you put your foot, it will likely end up in your mouth as it did here.

In the future, dont ask for peoples advice (or opinion) in an open thread, if you dont really want it. Mmkay?
    Ok, lets keep this one civil.....I can see both sides....maybe you were trying to give constructive advice.....that's ok...

The guy asked a good question and with everyone's input here I think he can now make a good decision....dont need a pissing contest in here.....

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

Mmkay.....you can flame when I am crying about holes in my pistons and I will have to take it.

I DO appreciate all the advice and yes, even the opinions. No pissing contest intended, my apoligies.

a red 1 and a silver 1
    1993,2000 z28

so your going turbo right??? please take pics as you go id love to see one built from the get go!! as im building a 408 that i want to boost the shit out of!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information