Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

raccoon round worm

I know some of you guys hunt and while this is definitely not panic worthy is probably worth at least knowing about. A buddy was telling me about this a few weeks ago and I'd never heard of it. I finally got around to looking it up. Pretty nasty ass worm. It's very rare but it's next level type shit if you get it or your kids get it. I know from now on I'll be more diligent about steering clear of raccoon shit and making sure the kids wash their hands after playing in the woods next to us.

Baylisascaris procyonis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I think studies showed like 70%+ of racoons tested had it. It doesn't become infective until like 2 weeks after the shit has been sitting out. Damn rodents.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

We had raccoons running around everywhere when I was growing up and one of my moms friends even adopted some as pets...never heard of this worm until now.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I think studies showed like 70%+ of racoons tested had it. It doesn't become infective until like 2 weeks after the shit has been sitting out. Damn rodents.
    it says in the link....they estimate 70% of adult coons and 90% of juveniles....I would assume because the juveniles are more apt to eat other coons shit??

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    We had raccoons running around everywhere when I was growing up and one of my moms friends even adopted some as pets...never heard of this worm until now.
    same here...my grandpa and aunt both had them for years. Me and my brother caught 3 babies one year and kept them all summer playing with them. I'd never heard of this until just a few weeks ago. My buddy was telling about one of our mutual friends that studied it in college. I called "bullshit" but told him I would look it up. Out of 13 confirmed cases.....5 died and the rest had severe neurological problems. What really caught my attention was the 3 day window you have. It would take longer than that to just get a doc to believe something was wrong with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Chloe used to chase them off our property all the time. But since she died, the damn things have decided that they love our yards and swimming in our pool. They fight in our pool too. There is always at least one of three screaming and getting it's ass kicked in there. So, I got online to see what I could do about getting rid of them and found an article about this and how they can also contaminate a pool. Great... Apparently, raccoon taking over pools are a pretty common thing, and they like to use pools as their toilets. I didn't know anything about this either until last year and we have a lot of raccoons around here.

I need another dog with attitude like Chloe.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would imagine you're not the "kill a raccoon" type so I would recommend a good live trap. Trap them and haul them off. We have woods around us and from time to time we have issues with them here but generally they leave our stuff alone. I've had them dump the trash a time or two but it's rare. I've shot a few and trapped then shot a few. I only kill them if they become a problem. Bastards are smart and learn quick. I saw one out last week about 10 in the morning ambling across the field out back. I was busy at the time so couldn't do anything about it but if I see it again during daylight hours it'll get a bullet. Daytime coons are the ones that worry me. They should be asleep by then....if they're not that makes me wonder if they're sick.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

You're right, I'm not. But I'd trap one and call animal control if this gets to be a regular thing.

I haven't heard them in the pool for a couple months now. I had to section off the back yard so that my two little Papillons can't get back there at night. They are all bark and no bite and the raccoons are more than 3 times their size. Chloe is not around to protect them anymore. I'm afraid they'll end up getting tore up. It seems raccoons travel in 3's around here for whatever reason.

This is the article I found last summer:
    CDC - Raccoons & Pools - Animals and Pools - Pools & Hot Tubs - Healthy Swimming & Recreational Water - Healthy Water

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

So don't eat Raccoon poop... got it. Does it say you can get anything from eating them???? Especially since I would cook it? I haven't eaten raccoon in a long time but when I was a kid my dad's friend would have a raccoon roast every year.

Raccoons were attempting to take over our playground. Specifically the bottom area underneath the playground. They are no longer with us.

Black / White

I had to shoot a rabid one in my grandparents barn a long time ago but thats the only issue I ever had with them.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    So don't eat Raccoon poop... got it. Does it say you can get anything from eating them???? Especially since I would cook it? I haven't eaten raccoon in a long time but when I was a kid my dad's friend would have a raccoon roast every year.

Raccoons were attempting to take over our playground. Specifically the bottom area underneath the playground. They are no longer with us.
    it doesn't really address the hillbillies that eat them I would imagine though that cooking them would kill the larvae and unless you're eating coon chitlins you shouldn't deal with the eggs really. Not eating raccoon shit seems like an easy thing to avoid but kids that climb trees like mine could get some on their hands and then eat chips or something without washing their hands and ingest the eggs that way. I could get some on my hand out hunting and since I chew I could get it that way. I'm not adding this to my check list of things to worry about.....I'll just be a little more conscientious about what me and the kids are doing in the woods.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Yea, kids do get into things. I would be more worried about pets.

As for hillbillies that is pretty much what they were. My mom never liked going there.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Chloe used to chase them off our property all the time. But since she died, the damn things have decided that they love our yards and swimming in our pool. They fight in our pool too. There is always at least one of three screaming and getting it's ass kicked in there. So, I got online to see what I could do about getting rid of them and found an article about this and how they can also contaminate a pool. Great... Apparently, raccoon taking over pools are a pretty common thing, and they like to use pools as their toilets. I didn't know anything about this either until last year and we have a lot of raccoons around here.

I need another dog with attitude like Chloe.

I pellet gun would also work.....

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I pellet gun would also work.....
    Come to think of it, a paint gun might be fun

Navy Blue Metallic

Come to think of it, a paint gun might be fun
    Make sure you freeze the balls or get some with pepper spray

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Make sure you freeze the balls or get some with pepper spray
    I know you guys all probably think I'm nuts, but I really don't want to hurt them. I really don't. I just want to deter them from my yards and playing and fighting in my pool. Chloe totally had that part handled. She was badass

Black / White

I know you guys all probably think I'm nuts, but I really don't want to hurt them. I really don't. I just want to deter them from my yards and playing and fighting in my pool. Chloe totally had that part handled. She was badass
    shooting them with a paintball gun could hurt them long term tho...kind of kills the ability to hide from predators when you are neon yellow or pink

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

shooting them with a paintball gun could hurt them long term tho...kind of kills the ability to hide from predators when you are neon yellow or pink
    They can go and wash off in someone elses pool or the lake

Navy Blue Metallic

^^reminds me of my experence with monkeys in Honduras jungle. Damn monkeys would troll you all damn night, if you didn't tie shit together they would rob you faster than kids in 3rd world countries. So one night our Plt Sgt tosses out a few chemlight sticks. They play with them all damn night. Next night I cuts them and then tosses them back out. This time they play with them, they got covered in the glow liquid and that's when the fights start. Little bastards going after each other in a massive brawl. Next night he tosses a few more around and not one damn monkey came near them. So after that we just put a chem stick on packs and stuff and they would never touch the stuff.

Frozen paintballs are much nicer than what I would do permanently to those little vermin.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

coons are pretty smart and figure shit out pretty quick but you may try putting a fake owl somewhere by the pool so they'll see it.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    coons are pretty smart and figure shit out pretty quick but you may try putting a fake owl somewhere by the pool so they'll see it.
    We've got two, each perched every night in the pine trees, on each end of the property. (which is pretty small btw) One in the front and one in the back. We also have a rather young one that just started making a whole lot of noise during the day. We heard this noise and went outside looking through the tree tops and there it was, a little owl. I've never heard such screeching before. He is pretty small and I'm assuming calling for his mama.

The owls are another reason I don't let my little dogs outside at night. One of those owls could scoop them up rather easy. We can lots of Coyote out here too.

I'm ready for another dog...

Thread Information