Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

not a gun.....but close

Got this for Zach for xmas. It's a bad ass little bow and the only bow he'll ever need. That's awesome because at his age he outgrows everything so fast and the shit gets expensive. It's nice to finally find something that'll grow with him. I'm thinking about buying me one too. 310 fps at 70lbs is moving along pretty good and probably almost twice as fast as my current dinosaur of a bow. He wants to start bow hunting next year. Not sure he'll be ready by then but it'll get him started. He won't be able to draw the 40lbs required to deer hunt I don't think and I'm not sure I'd trust him in a tree stand yet. He could always ground hunt but that's not nearly as successful as from a stand. We'll see. Just gotta get him shooting it and see how he does.

Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Bow Package — Mossy Oak® Break-Up Infinity® : Cabela's

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

310 fps will get the job done in almost all cases. I like it, please have Santa bring me one as well. lol
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I'm really thinking about buying one for myself. The price is pretty attractive. I want to draw and shoot his a few times and see what I think. It's super light compared to mine and is better in every way. I guess bows have come a long ways in the 25 years since I bought mine. I like the fact I can change his draw weight and lengths without a press. That'll make it easy to adjust it for him. I am going to buy a press though so I can work on it myself. First order of business is to get rid of that tube peep sight and go to a captured peep like I have if they even still make it. Don't have to worry about the tube breaking in cold weather. I'm also going to move him to a pendulum sight to take the guess work out of ranging his shots from a stand. I have a Keller which isn't made anymore but tru glow makes one.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

That is an awesome present. Good job. I remember getting stuff like this from my parents when I was a kid and those are times I will never forget. He won't be shooting 310 fps for a while but it will still kill deer. I shoot a 2004 hoyt so my bow isn't what you would call new but not old either. The bow I had before that I had since I was 11 and yes it was a chirstmas present. It was nice to get something lighter and smaller yet more powerful.

My aunt has killed black bear shooting 44lbs.

If you are looking for a good bow at a decent price I would recommend a mission by matthews bow for yourself. A friend of mine bought one from a local shop, the bow, the sight, and setup for him was around 700. Which is too much to spend on a kid but for yourself I think that is a good price for a bow like that. It shoots so smooth, is lighter than my 2004 hoyt and edges it by fps a little.... made me want to get one just based on how darn smooth it is. I thought my bow was smooth and quiet.... until I tried his but my bow works very well so I don't see the point right now in getting a new one. My uncle bought a brand new diamond and while it is a decent bow, shooting his next to that mission... it is no contest on which one feels better to me, the mission.

I belive this is the one he has... the blaze. 340fps if you shoot it at the 70lbs max weight depending on draw length. I have shot it at 70lbs but I prefer 60lbs-62lbs.

http://missionarchery.com/product/blaze/
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-08-2014 at 06:13 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

yeah...my buddy has a mission. That was actually the bow I was going to get....mission riot. About $400 stripped which is how I would get it and then put the stuff I want on it. I could see $700 easily before I was finished with it. The riot is 310 fps so it's not any faster than the diamond. The diamond is also lighter. If you compare that missions and diamond they're pretty close to one another really except in price. I go through this every year. I get on the verge of buying one and then get sticker shock and decide to get another year out of my bow. The price of that diamond may be enough to convince me that this is the year. The bow I should now is probably shooting 160-180 fps so pretty much anything on the market would be a huge leap forward for me I've gotten so used to that bow of mine I'd probably have to re-learn to shoot if I got a new one.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

just to put the pricing in perspective.....we got him a bow package and a bow case for $379 and it's a bow he'll use for years and years. Just tough to beat that deal.

I foresee a 3D target range in my back yard this summer

Arctic White, red/gray

The price difference between a 500 dollar setup bow and a 700 dollar setup bow is so small when you are talking about something you will hopefully get 10-20 years of use out of. I would definately get the one that feels better to me.

As I said I had never shot either diamond or mission before shooting in my uncles basement that day and the mission just felt smoother/nicer to shoot. Plus I like matthews and hoyt. The fact that they don't sell bows in major retail stores like gander etc is cool to me. They don't want some retail stores shitty customer service giving their bows a bad name. As long as you can find a matthews/hoyt dealer in your area that is.

I call hoyt when I took my bow into gander mountain to have some new stuff put on, string, rest(it was no extra charge since I bought the rest there and figured their huge bow department would do it right), peep etc. I noticed 4 bolts missing when I got it back. I went back to gander "sir this is how we got bow" me-"no it isn't"(with a few more choice words in there). So corporate gave me a store credit.... great do you guys sell these bolts.... NOPE. So I called hoyt about a 10 year old bow which they don't even make anymore. They had the bolts still though. I asked how much is it. "There is no charge sir, we don't want people shooting our bows with bolts missing." Not even for the shipping.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

that's cool of them....you see a lot of that in the hunting world. A lot of companies willing to do the right thing. I've ran across it on a few things I've owned. Coleman is one of those companies. They've sent me 3 complete lids for a stainless cooler I have for no charge because the lid keeps separating from the insulation. It's tore up again but at this point I'm tired of messing with it....really doesn't effect how it holds beer so I can live with it. Like I say...I want to draw his bow a few times and see how it shoots. I may set it up for me first and give it whirl before setting it up for him. It's not like he's going to be hunting with it anytime soon......probably be 2 seasons I would guess before he'll be able to draw 40 lbs. Drawing a bow is all form and leverage anyhow but it'll take him a while to learn that. I draw 65 with mine at only 65% let off. I've had mornings where I was so cold I struggled to get that back.

Arctic White, red/gray

Yea, a lot of guys would shoot their bows on max lbs even if the max lbs was 85lbs just so they can say they shoot x amount of lbs. And that is fine and dandy standing at the range shooting. But in blinds, brush, stands, leaning, kneeling..... in the awkward positions you have to shoot from sometimes I like 60-62lbs. Still gets me over 300fps and I can draw much easier.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

one thing I learned early on with my bow is to not draw early I can't imagine how nice it is to hold the 80% let off bows.....you draw too early with mine and you're shaking like a dog shitting a peach seed in 30 seconds.

Arctic White, red/gray

Yea, mine is 80% if I recall. Cams have come a long way but the bigger and thinner they make them the more some seem to fail. I have seen some of the cheaper polymer ones at the shops that have come apart. Even more so on some of the newer crossbows. I have heard of certain crossbow cams failing after 50 shots. That is why some people swear the recurve style limb crossbows are the best and that is why excalibur sells so many.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my buddy has an excalibur crossbow that he first started bow hunting with......pretty solid shooting crossbow. I had given a split second thought to letting zach use that next year. I'm just not a fan of crossbows and feel it's too dangerous for zach and wouldn't want to stick him in a treestand with one. I had thought about letting him ground blind hunt with it but again....not a fan of them and would worry about him sitting with a crossbow.

Arctic White, red/gray

He needs to learn how to kill with a bow first anyhow.

blue
    1999 TransAm

nice! ..the sights should also get him learning how to compensate for range!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    nice! ..the sights should also get him learning how to compensate for range!

I'm going to put him a pendulum sight on it. I love the one I have. Takes all the guess work out of it and when you have a bruiser in front of you it's easy to misjudge range. Mine is dead on from 0-30 yards and I've made a bunch of shots with it out to 40 although I did miss 2 doe this year at 40 with it. I shot a nice 8 a couple years ago at 40 that's probably been the best shot I've ever made with a bow. Keep in mind my bow is 25 years old and shoots less than 200 fps. I use aluminum arrows with feathers so it's an old school set up. I was on a point and he came in and went up the wrong side of the ravine. He got up about level with me and that was as close as he was going to get so I put the pin high and whacked him. Ran 30 yards and folded up. I say that's a 40 yard shot but I bet it was even a few more than that.

This is a shot I made last year on one at about 25 yards. Can't get much neater than this.....dead center heart. I need to get that swagger back and try to take one here late in the year to redeem myself and my season. I can still sling an arrow....just haven't done it this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Arctic White, red/gray

Trophy ridge came out with a pendulum that they state is guaranteed accurate to 100 yards if you sight it in at 10, 20 and 30. They sure have made enough videos about it to. 100 yards is a risky shot for other reasons as well. Such as arrow fps, angle and deer reaction to the noise but some people say it is indeed accurate at 100 yards. I wanna say it is like 180-200 bucks though. That's crazy

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I looked at trophy ridge and don't see a pendulum but the react series has the multi-adjustment deal where you sight in 2 pins and then it auto sets the rest of your pins out to 100 or 120. The thing is with new bows you don't have near the drop that I have with my bow so most people could probably get away with 1 or 2 pins. Set a 20 and 40 yard pin and that should pretty much do you for any realistic shot you're going to take. I can never see me taking a shot over 50 and I doubt I would ever take that shot. I just like that pendulum because it's 1 pin and you don't have to worry about anything else. Just put the pin on the chest and let it fly. Zach's actually pretty good with yardage right now. I constantly ask him yardage to different trees and things like that when we're out. He's normally pretty close.

Arctic White, red/gray

Huh I can't find it either. Just the single pin quick adjust one. Must have made up the pendulum one in a dream. It has one pin... that you sight in for two different distances and then the other distance markings on the adjustment slide should all be on.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 12-09-2014 at 07:06 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

zach's bow came today.....pretty dang nice for the money. Don't be surprised if I post that I also have one in a couple weeks. I wish I could buy it stripped down and add my own shit to it. Seems like a waste to have to buy the package just to toss the shit on a shelf for it to sit until I get tired of moving it and throw it away.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

resale?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information