Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My baby...

Silence Is Not Golden. stolenthunder's Avatar

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

My baby...

ATF Registered SWR Trident-9 silencer, attached to Beretta M9 host. Serial number is rotated out of view on the thread adapter for security/privacy.

Beretta was modified with a 20lb recoil spring to slow down rearward slide travel/recoil impulse. Added a polymer "blackjack" style guiderod buffer to decrease action noise. It's a fairly quiet piece of kit.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

What's with the pic from the 1930's?

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    What's with the pic from the 1930's?
    I found a USB port on my daguerreotype.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I hated my military issued m9 shot like crap!!

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

Mine has been 100% reliable. To be honest, it's my favorite pistol of all time for just plain out shooting- out of every handgun that I've had the honor to discharge. I don't see why it gets such a bad rap. Yeah, it's heavy but remember that 9mm in it's classic form is a snappy little round. The weight distribution helps to tame down recoil impulse. It's easy to strip down, easy to clean, easy to maintain.

Most hardcore 1911 people have a hard time transitioning from first shot being DA to subsequent shots going SA but a nice trigger tune smooths things up. It's one of those platforms that grows on you. Aesthetics are actually important to me too...there is no doubt that it's a sexy gun.

One thing that I would recommend doing as soon as you get any 92FS/M9 handgun is changing out the trigger reset spring to a Wolf INS. There have been issues with batches of these guns having bad reset springs...I like taking the guesswork out of it, so that I don't have to wonder if mine came from one of them. Other issues known to the gun have actually come from cheapest-bidder government contract magazines being used in the field, from what I gather.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by stolenthunder View Post
    Mine has been 100% reliable. To be honest, it's my favorite pistol of all time for just plain out shooting- out of every handgun that I've had the honor to discharge. I don't see why it gets such a bad rap. Yeah, it's heavy but remember that 9mm in it's classic form is a snappy little round. The weight distribution helps to tame down recoil impulse. It's easy to strip down, easy to clean, easy to maintain.

Most hardcore 1911 people have a hard time transitioning from first shot being DA to subsequent shots going SA but a nice trigger tune smooths things up. It's one of those platforms that grows on you. Aesthetics are actually important to me too...there is no doubt that it's a sexy gun.

One thing that I would recommend doing as soon as you get any 92FS/M9 handgun is changing out the trigger reset spring to a Wolf INS. There have been issues with batches of these guns having bad reset springs...I like taking the guesswork out of it, so that I don't have to wonder if mine came from one of them. Other issues known to the gun have actually come from cheapest-bidder government contract magazines being used in the field, from what I gather.
    The last paragraph sums it completely up it is from the lowest bidder that is why I have grown to hate the m9, cause it has failed me when I needed it the most. But then again once I ordered a new barrell and trigger assembly with the buffer spring it shot great but that wasnt until about 4 or 5 months into the tour that I recieved these things to do it to my side arm. But truthfully I would have liked to have had a larger round like a .40 or so just because the knock down power since the 9mm didnt really meet my needs in certain situations!!

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

No kidding. 9mm ball isn't the best...it makes nice, neat, non-expansive little geneva convention holes. Hollowpoints make the caliber. I think that .45 ACP or .50GI would be a better caliber choice in your situation given soldiers' legally imposed ammo restrictions.

I should still post a video of my suppressed rig. I think I'll do that today.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

I would actually like to see a video of that!!

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

I didn't get a chance today...lot going on. But you have my word that it will be done.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Cool deal man, should get together and shoot sometime I dont live far from sc depending where you live at in sc. But I need to start going and finding somewhere I can set up a reflexive fire range and start practicing again.

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

Sounds awesome, man. I'm in the lowcountry but my new FFL/SOT is way upstate. He has some serious toys and I can bring my stuff too.

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Two of my baby's

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

Man, that warms my heart. Never seen a P22 look so big... heh heh.

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

her first shooting was a mosquito with that YHM mite.

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

You got her off to a good, early start. As she grows up, every time she hears something negative and crazy about gun owners she'll weigh it against her upbringing, all of her time with you and she'll automatically see through the crap floating around out. Helping kids learn to think and grasp their basic human rights before the public re-education system gets into their heads is a priceless gift.

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

At 2 1/2, she's a full blown gun-nut like me.

She will come up and say "gun?....see?" So Ill pull the HK out and unload and hand it to her. Immediate response is "heavy".

SHe has her own copy of American Handgunner.

Were working through not pointing at people or the dogs while shes got one.

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

Man, this makes me want to have kids.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

You need to teach that kid some trigger discipline.

Blue
    1998, Trans Am

The weapon is obviously unloaded. The slide mounted safety is engaged. It is pointed in a safe direction.

Trigger discipline was an invention of Col. Jeff Cooper and it came with 3 other rules. He never meant for it to become a religion. I see many range-nazis using petty "violations" of his "four rules" to vent their personal expressions of hoplophobia. We depend on the mechanical safety (brakes) to work on our cars and we depend on them even more than we do gun safety mechanisms...do you disavow speeds above 10mph because an accident "could" happen?

Pedanticism can ruin a good moment.

--
    Last edited by stolenthunder; 12-14-2010 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Sounded a little harsh to begin with. Sorry about that.

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

At 2 years old, it is hard enough to teach her normal things, but trust me, friend, were doing what needs to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by stolenthunder View Post
    The weapon is obviously unloaded. The slide mounted safety is engaged. It is pointed in a safe direction.

Trigger discipline was an invention of Col. Jeff Cooper and it came with 3 other rules. He never meant for it to become a religion. I see many range-nazis using petty "violations" of his "four rules" to vent their personal expressions of hoplophobia. We depend on the mechanical safety (brakes) to work on our cars and we depend on them even more than we do gun safety mechanisms...do you disavow speeds above 10mph because an accident "could" happen?

Pedanticism can ruin a good moment.

--
    Word!

Thread Information