Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Mossberg "MVP" series Rifles

Does anyone here have one? or Shot one?

Interesting concept. Take the bolt action and marry it up with AR15 style magazines.

Comes in 5.56mm or 7.62mm.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

It's an interesting concept but no so sure it is a useful one. I couldn't see myself wanting more than a 10 round mag with a bolt action. Even that is a bit much for something I would be lugging through the woods. Once mags begin to get that long it really begins to limit your shooting positions. Plus mossberg has never been my favorite company. Most of the stuff they make feels cheap to me. I would rather buy a ruger gunsite scout.

Navy Blue Metallic

Ruger Gunsite Scout - those look nice, wooden stock too.

Arctic White, red/gray

You can get them in a few different styles. Awesome gun, depending on the model and generation the triggers leave something to be desired but that is an easy upgrade. And IMO most factory triggers need upgrading.

Navy Blue Metallic

I'll keep that in mind.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have a Mossberg 500 for home protection but I would not invest the money into the MVP until I got a few good write ups about it in the field. Mossberg makes decent guns cheaply. You always get what you pay for.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic

My Dad hunts with his 500 with a scope. Uses slugs in IL deer hunts. Hasn't missed yet.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my buddy has a mossberg 500 and although I've never really cared for it much (feels unbalanced to me) it's been a good gun. He's had that thing years and years. One cool thing mossberg even did back then was offer a muzzle loader barrel for it. It shoots pretty good as a muzzle loader too. I think he got the barrel used for like $100 or something. I bought him a real muzzle loader a few years ago so now he just loans out the 500 with the barrel to someone every year when ML season rolls around.

Navy Blue Metallic

I didn't know that. I wonder if TX has muzzle loader season.....

yup they do but damn it's late in the season.

Arctic White, red/gray

Anybody can make a shotgun. It's just a tube with a firing pin. As long as the action works that is all you need to have a usable shotgun. Rifles are a whole different ball game. Now I'm not saying mossberg can't make a somewhat accurate rifle but I would trust in other brands over them for something like that. I would take a 350 dollar savage bolt rifle over the mossberg anyday.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

My son just bought his first gun, a MVP patrol in .308. It's very nice. The mag system uses it's own mag and the M1A based .308 AR mags (side catch) as well as standard M1A mags (back catch). Zero problems so far, bolt and trigger is smoother than my new remington 700's stock trigger and bolt, less feeding issues as well as my last 2 700's when they were new, and even with the short 16" barrel I managed 1MOA using 180 gn nosler handloads. Groups just as well (or better) than my M1A Socom with ball ammo and irons, and is lighter to boot. I'm jealous but he can't leave the house yet anyway since he's just 16 so it's in my safe! I will get myself one shortly and probably one in .223 as well. .308, mag fed, light, 16" with flash suppressor, accurate, 1 in 9 IIRC, smooth as silk reliable action, affordable, what's not to like. I'll post pics when I get a chance, can't do that with my 700, had to send it back to remington for a miscut reciever or improperly installed barrel don't have it back yet
    Last edited by slims00ls1z28; 11-05-2014 at 11:52 AM.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1256_zps36859892.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	100.2 KB 
ID:	26006

I like the Ruger gunsite as well but this is well put together for less.
    My Toy 00 Z28 1SC A4 - MS3 cam with supporting valvetrain, Milled LS6 heads, LS7 lifters, , ARP rod and mains, All free mods, pacesetters, True duals, moser 9 with 4.11's and Detroit Locker, Vig 3600 tuned, tubular SFC,adj PHR, LCA, adj TA, PHR reloc, LCA reloc. all with poly bushings, ZR1's and Nitto DR's (315).

My other toy 05 GTO LS2 M6- Comp XR269HR cam, 918's, hardened pushrods, Dart Pro 1's, pacesetters, X-pipe, flowmaster 1 chambers, TSP oil pump, Tick master cylinder. Pedders RR bushings, end links, SB bushings, tie rods and strut mounts, total performance poly F&R bushings. Polk DVC 12", Infinity Kappa 6.5 component and 6x9's with corresponding amps.

Her toy 77 F100-6.6/c6. All original (for now)

Arctic White, red/gray

Looks nice, I like the twisted bolt, always have. I would have to try it out to compare it to the ruger. 100-200 dollars isn't really much when talking about a firearm that could last you the rest of your life with proper care.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

No doubt, I'm a Ruger fan through and through with 4 of them, (Mini-14 10/22, MKII, MKIII), the biggest thing I like with the MVP over the gunsite is the fact that you can use other magazines with them versus a proprietary one. I know first hand that Rugers prefer Ruger magazines (10/22 sometimes being the exception) and they are expensive. You can find cheap milsurp M1A mags all day long, even a couple of drum mags 50 and 100 drums if your strong enough to carry it. I thing Magpul just came out with a polymer .308 for the .308 AR's that will work in it as well.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by slims00ls1z28 View Post
    No doubt, I'm a Ruger fan through and through with 4 of them, (Mini-14 10/22, MKII, MKIII), the biggest thing I like with the MVP over the gunsite is the fact that you can use other magazines with them versus a proprietary one. I know first hand that Rugers prefer Ruger magazines (10/22 sometimes being the exception) and they are expensive. You can find cheap milsurp M1A mags all day long, even a couple of drum mags 50 and 100 drums if your strong enough to carry it. I thing Magpul just came out with a polymer .308 for the .308 AR's that will work in it as well.
    Rugers, especially the .22 handguns only seem to work properly with ruger mags lol. The magazine thing really isn't a factor for me. Owning a handful loaded up is good enough. Having 20 mags for each gun only means you have 20 mags to load up once you shoot em and 20 mags per gun to carry. Which sucks. And 50-100 round drums for a bolt action gun is kind of a silly thought. But it is nice to have the ability to use so many different type of mags like the AR mags give you access too. Since pretty much every company makes AR mags.

Thread Information