Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

help with Rem 870 stock

Here's the 2 stocks in question.

Went tonight to pick my son up an 870 20 gauge for xmas at Dick's. I went there expecting to get stock 1 because that's all I've ever really seen on an 870 express and what I have on my 870 12 gauge. They didn't have anything in 20 gauge but had 3 in 12 gauge with stock 2. I had them call the Dick's (actually field and stream) up at Easton and they had 2 in stock in 20 gauge. We drive up there and the guy brings out one and it has stock 1 on it. I tell him about stock 2 that I saw at the Dick's out here and he says "all 870's come with the same stock". Now I'm not blind....or ignorant because I know what I saw. I semi-argue with him for a few minutes that the 870's they had at Dick's had a different grain pattern or finish on them. Guy was pretty set on his opinion that all 870's come with the exact same stock and the only variances might be a slight variance because not all pieces of wood look the same. His other explanation was maybe the one's I saw were wingmasters which I know isn't the case because a guy was buying one of the 12's and I looked at the box and it was an express. I quickly tired of trying to convince him of what I saw and left without buying it because I really want stock 2 now. It's a beautiful gun really.

Anyone have an answer why these 2 stocks would be so different and where I can find stock 2 in 20 gauge? I'm going to go back to Dick's here tomorrow and talk to them about ordering me a 20 gauge and seeing if they can figure out the stock differences so that I get one with stock 2. Worst case scenario I'll get stock 1 because my son isn't going to be picky but I really want the other stock if at all possible.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks like there are a bunch of different models in the 870 family and I see both styles of stock: Pump Action Shotguns - Model 870 Shotgun - Remington Shotguns

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I have seen many different stocks on 870s. The two you listed are the most common these days. I know Dunhams has the number 2 stock in my area. Not sure if you have any in your area.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I ended up getting him a mossberg 500 combo. Got both barrels and a scope for $319. Probably would've rather had the 870 but a few things went into the decision. First and foremost Zach won't really give a shit....as long as he has a gun he'll be happy. I've never been real happy with my 870. It shoots for shit really...always high right and the stock looks 50 years old just from handling it with my gloves. I only use it about 1 week a year during gun season. My old jc higgins will outshoot it any day of the week as far as holding a group. I just know where it shoots and know to aim a little low left. This whole stock confusion has been a real turn off too. Not reliable solid info out there on exactly what it takes to get one stock or the other. If they're going to make stocks that look so different they need different part numbers. I can't also know for certain if ALL their stocks are laminated or not. If you read Rem's website it looks like all the 870 stocks are laminated but a guy called them and they said they had a "laminate wood" stock and a "hardwood" stock. I can find no other information that says an 870 has a solid wood stock so I'm guessing they mean "laminated hardwood". There's a lot of happy mossberg owners out there the same as remington. We'll give this one a shot and at the end of the day it's not life or death. If it doesn't shoot well or we have problems with it we're only out $319.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Arctic White, red/gray

Well I got the black synthetic stock on my 870 from 4-5 years ago. And I have won many league and club trap shoots with it. Even a few doubles shoots against guys with semi autos and over/unders who don't have to cycle a round between the first and second shot. So I like to think mine shoots straight.

blue
    1999 TransAm

..due to my lack of familiarity w/ shotguns in general, ..I don't know the answer, but I have to say, ...that would be one hella-cool gift to get to open Christmas morning!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    ..due to my lack of familiarity w/ shotguns in general, ..I don't know the answer, but I have to say, ...that would be one hella-cool gift to get to open Christmas morning!!!
    he'll be happy.....he borrowed my buddies 870 20 gauge this year and got his first deer with it. Now he'll have his own gun. Last year for xmas I got him a .45 cal muzzy so he's on a string of guns as presents. He's pretty close to having as many as I do.....only his shit is all new and mine is old and banged up. He'll outgrow most of these. Technically he could continue to shoot the 20 gauge but at some point I'm sure he'll want to move up to a 12. I'm going to buy me an 1100 or 11-87 soon I think because I've always wanted one so he gets my 870 12 gauge when I do.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    he'll be happy.....he borrowed my buddies 870 20 gauge this year and got his first deer with it. Now he'll have his own gun. Last year for xmas I got him a .45 cal muzzy so he's on a string of guns as presents. He's pretty close to having as many as I do.....only his shit is all new and mine is old and banged up. He'll outgrow most of these. Technically he could continue to shoot the 20 gauge but at some point I'm sure he'll want to move up to a 12. I'm going to buy me an 1100 or 11-87 soon I think because I've always wanted one so he gets my 870 12 gauge when I do.
    haha, nice! ..sounds like a wonderful Christmas, and sure to be excitement and anticipation opening those presents from under the tree! you should treat yourself and get the 1100

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I just have a hard time coming off that kinda money for myself on a gun. My 870 gets the job done the 1 week a year I really use a gun. I did do a little more squirrel hunting with the kids this year than in years past but even then the 870 works fine.....that's where I always end up. What else could I buy for $1000 versus getting a gun for myself that I technically don't need?

Zach really likes the 870's because he used my buddy's 20 gauge to kill that deer this year and squirrel hunted with it. I think most of that is because it's the only gun he has experience with really except for his .410 and muzzy. The .410 is undersized and the muzzy stomps the dog shit out of him I was busting his balls about bitching over the muzzy kicking him.....until I shot it at 100 grains. That little light/small youth gun with 100 grains of powder really knocks the shit out of you. I backed him down to 70 grains after I shot it This mossberg is different but he's going to really like it I think after he shoots it a few times....both barrels are ported so that'll help with recoil and having the shorter rifled barrel with a scope will make it better for him to shoot. The trick is going to keep me from getting it out of the box while he's in school this week and running some shells through it.

blue
    1999 TransAm

I just have a hard time coming off that kinda money for myself on a gun. My 870 gets the job done the 1 week a year I really use a gun. I did do a little more squirrel hunting with the kids this year than in years past but even then the 870 works fine.....that's where I always end up. What else could I buy for $1000 versus getting a gun for myself that I technically don't need?

Zach really likes the 870's because he used my buddy's 20 gauge to kill that deer this year and squirrel hunted with it. I think most of that is because it's the only gun he has experience with really except for his .410 and muzzy. The .410 is undersized and the muzzy stomps the dog shit out of him I was busting his balls about bitching over the muzzy kicking him.....until I shot it at 100 grains. That little light/small youth gun with 100 grains of powder really knocks the shit out of you. I backed him down to 70 grains after I shot it This mossberg is different but he's going to really like it I think after he shoots it a few times....both barrels are ported so that'll help with recoil and having the shorter rifled barrel with a scope will make it better for him to shoot. The trick is going to keep me from getting it out of the box while he's in school this week and running some shells through it.
    ...two are better than one...

..as for the gift, ...well, you could justify test firing it as a "safety inspection"

red
    95 Z28

Next year for him, a savage in 338 lapua magnum. It's a good squirrel caliber, or so I hear.
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I think he may be done with guns for awhile......my daughter will probably be next. Pink .17 maybe?? Squirrel and ground hog gun.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I still have the 870 I received for Christmas when I was maybe 13 years old. Guess that means it is officially an antique.

Arctic White, red/gray

I think he may be done with guns for awhile......my daughter will probably be next. Pink .17 maybe?? Squirrel and ground hog gun.
    .17 hmr? It's a great round. Don't get it in pink though, you will probably want to use when she isn't from time to time.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    .17 hmr? It's a great round. Don't get it in pink though, you will probably want to use when she isn't from time to time.
    wouldn't bother me haha.....squirrels and ground hogs won't care what color the gun is. My daughter actually has a long way to go before she's ready to get serious on hunting. She has the patience but she's just not that good with a gun yet. That's going to be a point we work on this winter and spring. Get her out with my pellet gun and get her shooting better then move her up through the guns. That's 2 more deer tags every year for the family

Arctic White, red/gray

Yep. The .17hmr doesn't feel too much different from a pellet gun. Just louder.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I got an email back from Remington. They said it was because wood is "organic" and the differences in color can't be controlled. I'm calling bullshit.....that difference right there isn't a slight color difference from the wood. That's a completely different grain pattern. I've been trying to find an email to someone further up the chain with no luck. I'd love to keep pressing this until I find someone that actually knows what the fuck they're talking about. So far none of the 10 salesmen at various stores I've talked to know anything about it and evidently no one at Remington does either.
    Truth be told I would really rather Zach have gotten a remington over a mossberg but I'm not supporting such incompetence. Everyone loses here. Zach doesn't get the gun he or I wanted him to have and Remington loses out on a lifetime customer possibly. I won't buy Remington guns from here on out and since Zach will grow up shooting a mossberg that's probably where his loyalties will be later in life also.
    Last edited by 0rion; 12-16-2015 at 06:56 PM.

red
    95 Z28

I got an email back from Remington. They said it was because wood is "organic" and the differences in color can't be controlled. I'm calling bullshit.....that difference right there isn't a slight color difference from the wood. That's a completely different grain pattern. I've been trying to find an email to someone further up the chain with no luck. I'd love to keep pressing this until I find someone that actually knows what the fuck they're talking about. So far none of the 10 salesmen at various stores I've talked to know anything about it and evidently no one at Remington does either.
    Truth be told I would really rather Zach have gotten a remington over a mossberg but I'm not supporting such incompetence. Everyone loses here. Zach doesn't get the gun he or I wanted him to have and Remington loses out on a lifetime customer possibly. I won't buy Remington guns from here on out and since Zach will grow up shooting a mossberg that's probably where his loyalties will be later in life also.

Winchester 1200 is another good option in that category if you're looking again at some point in the future. I have one and it's been a great and reliable gun.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my uncle has a browning a5 16 ga built in the late 50's early 60's that he's being threatening to give me for about 5 years now. I killed my first deer with that gun back in '86. Pretty sure that gun is worth a little money.....it's a beautiful gun with the receiver engraved. I would never sell it and I don't think it's worth a truck load of money.....$1500-$2000 or something like that. Be a good family gun to keep passing down. No one else in our family hunts....just me and him and it looks like Zach now.

Arctic White, red/gray

A lot of people have sworn of Remington over the past decade. Claiming the quality control has gone down hill. They use too much plastic these days and then there was that whole Remington 700 series lawsuit which has been an on going case for almost 30 years and I think they finally settled and had to change the trigger to the Mark pro trigger because of it.

By the way a lot of people buy the H&R Pardner shotgun instead of the Remington 870 these days. It's the same design as the 870, made by a sister company and they sell for 199.99 in 12 gauge. I don't know if they come in wood though, all the ones I see are syn.

Thread Information