Thread: Gun Storage

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Gun Storage

I only have a couple of firearms at this time. I may go out shooting 2-3 times a year which means that the guns are "in storage" most of the time. I have always questioned whether to relieve the pressure on the firing pin after cleaning and cycling of the weapon. Of them all, only my bolt action rifle eases it off as you hold the trigger and close the bolt.

I have heard of using a spent cartridge in the chamber to give the firing pin some sort of a cushion, but then ejecting that round becomes an issue. Is this accurate, and you simply leave the cartridge in until you next use the gun? I really don't know what the correct answer is. The guns in question are a Glock Model 23 .40 caliber and a S&W Sigma .380.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

For storage I do not like the brass in there ( in storage) ...as it is the first metal to corrode.
    As for the firing pin....I have many of my pistols/rifles stashed and locked/loaded.....I shoot all of my "active" pistols/rifles once a month (minimum)...clean and reload...have never had any firing pin issues.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

By the way...when you say "storage"....describe storage Safe w/Golden Rod or Sock Drawer?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    By the way...when you say "storage"....describe storage Safe w/Golden Rod or Sock Drawer?
    Storage for the Glock is in a padded nylon gun bag in the back of my closet. The S&W is in a soft clip-type holster locked in a safe. Ammo is kept separate in a steel cabinet in the basement along with the cleaning kits.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Ok....I just do not like brass on steel for a long period of time....Long= year+

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Firing pin damage is an issue on hammer mounted firing pins.

Striker fired guns, which is your pistols, will not be harmedd by dry firing to relieve the spring tension.

My Glock 20 has had a round in the chamber for nearly every day since 2003. And still goes bang everytime.

Regarding your bolt action. I've never heard of what you described.

A-Zoom makes a product called a Snap Cap, wich is a plastic shell that chambers and has a spring loaded primer area that will absorb the pressure when you pull the trigger.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

You are not going to live long enough to damage a firing pin if all you are doing is relieving pressure off it once or twice a year. You just will NOT do it, unless the gun was defective in the first place. Snap caps are okay if you need to dry fire a lot, but I just don't think they are necessary for most people.

Storage needs to be a DRY area with as little moisture as possible. A light coat of oil and/or a silicone-impregnated "sock" will keep rust at bay.

Magazines should not be kept fully loaded for long periods of time. My suggestion for home defense is maintain at least four magazines for the weapon, two loaded - two empty, and rotate them every few months. Polymer mags will be less maintenance, but not always available for specific weapons. Keeping fresh ammo (bought yearly) for a home defense weapon is cheap insurance to ensure it goes boom if you really need it. If you need more than two mags of ammo in a home defense situation, you are really having a bad day.

Thread Information