Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Getting my license

I'm going to class for my license tomorrow and am looking at getting a Springfield XD 40 for my handgun. Anyone have experience with it? Pros? Cons?

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

I have a xdm .40 which I have 25-30k rounds through. Great gun IMO, the only time it acted up was when the striker pin spring was caked up with gunk. Took it apart and cleaned it and it worked good again. This was after 20k rounds and was the first time I stripped the gun down that far.

blue
    1999 TransAm

my brother has an xd45 for his carry pistol, ...he likes it... i've shot his at the range, ...the ergonomics weren't quite rite for me (i have fairly small hands), ...so i prefer my S&W m&ps... but as to the quality that goes into the springfield xds, from what i've heard they are reliable and reasonably priced (maybe a bit higher than glock or m&p though)... you might want to fondle a few different pistols at a gun shop (ergo, fit, feel is important when it comes to handguns) befere deciding which to buy...

red
    95 Z28

Rent or at least handle anything before deciding. If it isnt comfortable, it wont work for you. Oh and get a glock if you want something reliable.

Arctic White, red/gray

Glocks aren't anymore reliable than the XD guns IMO. Plus they are ugly as sin but they are good guns. I just can't stand the way the glocks feel in my hand. It is all about personal preference, hold and shoot as many as you can.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I have had a XD40 in the past. Awesome gun. Plan on getting another as funds allow. I would think the 45 is a bit much for a polymer. I noticed with the XD40, that it feels perfectly balanced with a full magazine, but as it empties, it becomes slide heavy. Also, the lack of a safety makes some people nervous. You do have to intentionally fire it, it has safeties built in, just not an actual safety as is usually defined. Again, awesome pistol.

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I would think the 45 is a bit much for a polymer.
    No, it isnt. At all. Never has been.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Took the 8 hour class today as the first step in getting my OC. Needless to say I decided to try my hand with an XDM and really liked it and it showed because I got compliments on my accuracy (I've never shot so much as a BB gun before). I fired off 50 practice rounds, where the majority went through the same hole in the chest area of the target. The gun was very comfortable to me. I'm still planning on getting the XD40, as its pretty close overall to the XDM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I don't like the feel of the glock. My brother in law has one.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    Rent or at least handle anything before deciding. If it isnt comfortable, it wont work for you. Oh and get a glock if you want something reliable.

red
    95 Z28

I was joking. If you shoot the XD well and it's comfortable, by all means get that.

2005 GTO M6 Black
    2000 Z28 A4 Red

Congrats on the shooting. Nothing wrong with the XD and .40 is a nice caliber. As 5.0 said whatever feels best to you will be the better gun. As long as you stay away from High Point, Jimenez, Jennings, and all the other sub 300$ guns you should be good. Alot of times you get what you pay for in firearms in relation to the low side especially.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Picked one up

Went ahead and picked up an XD40 this weekend.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Nice choice.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Nice choice.

Arctic White, red/gray

Yay GUNS

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Good choice, you'll love it. A friend of mine has that exact gun. He let me play with it a little the last time we went shooting. I was hitting point of aim at 15 yds with every shot on the first mag (my first time shooting an xd, period). I was perfectly comfortable with it after just a few minutes of shooting (and I'm not a pistol expert, by any means). If I had to find one thing to complain about, it would be that because the barrel is a little high in those guns, the muzzle flip did make my follow up shots take slightly longer when going for speed, but since my first shot hit where it was supposed to damn near every time, this isn't a major issue. I still loved the gun.

Have fun, and go break her in!

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post
    Good choice, you'll love it. A friend of mine has that exact gun. He let me play with it a little the last time we went shooting. I was hitting point of aim at 15 yds with every shot on the first mag (my first time shooting an xd, period). I was perfectly comfortable with it after just a few minutes of shooting (and I'm not a pistol expert, by any means). If I had to find one thing to complain about, it would be that because the barrel is a little high in those guns, the muzzle flip did make my follow up shots take slightly longer when going for speed, but since my first shot hit where it was supposed to damn near every time, this isn't a major issue. I still loved the gun.

Was it a .40 cal? If it was and you do not shoot .40 cal it could just be the round causing that flip. .40s&w is a very snappy round.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Thanks, I'm looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBornThriller View Post

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Was it a .40 cal? If it was and you do not shoot .40 cal it could just be the round causing that flip. .40s&w is a very snappy round.
    Yeah, it was a .40. I've shot a .40cal before. (S&W M&P, and a Sig). I agree that the round is a little snappy, but it felt moreso in the xd. Done a little reading, and a lot of people tend to say that about the xd in every caliber. It's just a tall gun with a higher barrel than others in it's category. Again, I'm not griping about it at all, I loved the gun...it's just the closest thing to an annoyance I could find when shooting it. It would still be near the top of my list if/when I decide to pick up a .40 of my own.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Good choice.

Thread Information