98 Formula
    06 duramax

fair weather hunters need not apply....

Moved my stand Monday for this weekend. I'm gonna go sit with the bow this weekend and try to get 1 more deer. High friday.....15 the low friday night.....9. High on saturday.....24 saturday's low.....14. This is when we separate the men from the boys.

I found a kickass spot to put my stand. When the snow was on the ground I found a heavily tracked area skirting the edges of some pines. There were several mounds in there and the tracks looked like a cattle trail. I went back 2 weeks later (last monday) and there was still tracks in here so they're moving through there. Just hoping it's not at night. I've hunted that spot before about 10 years ago. Deer would always show up in the evening right at last light. I had my stand about 30 yards from where I'm at now so I'm hoping to catch them that few minutes earlier.

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

lucky! Our season ended weeks ago

our season ended last weekend... The late season is always a bitch to bow hunt.

blue
    83 mustang 347

What separates the men from the boys is standing in waist deep water with neoprene waders on in 16 degree weather during a sleet storm. But good luck on your deer! lol

I think hunters have some kind of chemical inbalance in our brains lol
    Last edited by ztrouble; 01-20-2011 at 04:44 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by ztrouble View Post
    What separates the men from the boys is standing in waist deep water with neoprene waders on in 16 degree weather during a sleet storm. But good luck on your deer! lol

I think hunters have some kind of chemical inbalance in our brains lol
    I'm doing that next weekend......if the rivers aren't locked up we're going for steelhead.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

9-24 degrees is average hunting weather in WI. Tomorrow the high is under 10 and the wind chill is -20. My boots are rated to -70 too bad the rest of my suit isnt.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    9-24 degrees is average hunting weather in WI. Tomorrow the high is under 10 and the wind chill is -20. My boots are rated to -70 too bad the rest of my suit isnt.
    I can stay fairly comfortable. Usually the only issue I have is with my hands. I don't/can't wear big bulky gloves especially with the bow because they interfere with my release. I have a little better gloves when I carry the gun and I just cut the finger out of one so it fits in the trigger guard. With my bow I just wear insulated jersey gloves.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

don't forget your snuggie... hunting in freezing rain is the WORST ever...

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I can stay fairly comfortable. Usually the only issue I have is with my hands. I don't/can't wear big bulky gloves especially with the bow because they interfere with my release. I have a little better gloves when I carry the gun and I just cut the finger out of one so it fits in the trigger guard. With my bow I just wear insulated jersey gloves.
    When its cold I usually wear a bigger solid glove on my left hand with bow and one of those mittens that flips over so your fingers stick out on my right hand.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

When its cold I usually wear a bigger solid glove on my left hand with bow and one of those mittens that flips over so your fingers stick out on my right hand.
    I've tried those but my hands got colder in those than in insulated jersey's. I had a cheap ass pair so that was probably most of the issue. The flap that went over the fingers was just cloth with no insulation in it. The main problem I have though is the release fitting over the cuff. It makes the release feel funny in my hand.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I missed a doe this year partly to do with my glove on my release hand. I bought a new pair of jersey's and they hadn't shrunk yet from being wet and drying them out. I went to draw on a doe and the glove was getting pinched in the release so when I'd try to draw the release would pop open. Happened 2-3 times trying to draw until I finally was able to take the glove off and draw on her. By that time she was looking up at me and ducked my arrow when I shot.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I've tried those but my hands got colder in those than in insulated jersey's. I had a cheap ass pair so that was probably most of the issue. The flap that went over the fingers was just cloth with no insulation in it. The main problem I have though is the release fitting over the cuff. It makes the release feel funny in my hand.

what about them little heat pack things??? them little shits get hot!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    what about them little heat pack things??? them little shits get hot!!!
    I'll be going and buying some to use this afternoon and tomorrow morning. Temp right now is 5 with a -7 wind chill. Dats frigin cold.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I'll be going and buying some to use this afternoon and tomorrow morning. Temp right now is 5 with a -7 wind chill. Dats frigin cold.
    yeah... just make sure the packets don't break cause they can burn you good...

Arctic White, red/gray

Yea its a good idea to have those warming packs. I shoot with my hand and a archery glove no trigger release so that makes wearing the gloves easier. I know most people say the trigger release makes them more accurate but I have been shooting like this since i got my first bow i was 5 and I am still just as good is not better with my fingers.

It was -9 wind chill -27 on the drive in to work today... my snot froze for a short time

I missed a doe this year partly to do with my glove on my release hand. I bought a new pair of jersey's and they hadn't shrunk yet from being wet and drying them out. I went to draw on a doe and the glove was getting pinched in the release so when I'd try to draw the release would pop open. Happened 2-3 times trying to draw until I finally was able to take the glove off and draw on her. By that time she was looking up at me and ducked my arrow when I shot.
    My friends dad uses a spike and I would like to try one sometime, but I'm sure it would take a lot of time getting use to one. http://www.carterenterprises.com/products/atension.htm

98 Formula
    06 duramax

hunted this afternoon but didn't see anything. Had 3-4 fresh tracks by the stand....2 sets were within 5 yards of my tree. Gotta do something with my stand....it's creaking like a bitch. Not sure if the rain this week soaked it and now it's all frozen or if it's just the fact it was 2 degrees when I came out of my stand but it's noisey as hell. No way I'll be able to shoot one out of it the way it is. I'm going to try hosing it down with wd-40 tomorrow and see if that helps.

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

It was -9 wind chill -27 on the drive in to work today... my snot froze for a short time
    ogtta leave the two wheeler at home on them days....

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    ogtta leave the two wheeler at home on them days....
    Yep, take the snowmobile.

Thread Information