The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

Composite AR lower review

I picked up one of these to check it out, thinking that if I dont like it, I can sell it. It is a composite (plastic) complete lower for an AR-15. First impression was good. It feels considerably lighter, but still substantial. It comes as a complete lower, ready to pin an upper on and go shoot. The six position stock is your standard stock, but did not come staked. staking would be a simple task. The buffer tube is threaded directly into the composite lower, there are no metal threads. Im not too thrilled about the logo, but a little bit of sandpaper would fix that.

A look at the internals reveals plastic hammer, trigger, selector switch and mag release. the bolt catch is metal and the trigger pins are metal. The takedown pins are plastic. The fit is very tight and there was no slop or movement between the upper and lower. At first thought, you would think a plastic hammer wouldnt have enough weight to strike the firing pin, but you come to understand that the spring is what provides the force strike the firing pin, and that the hammer could be weightless if need be.

The trigger feels crisp and light, better than a stock DPMS parts kit trigger somehow. If the trigger is not up to your liking, it will take a standard parts kit trigger or a whiz-bang aftermarket trigger just like a standard lower.

Shooting it was uneventful, and it cycled 320 rounds without a failure in January, outdoors in Alaska. This lower is considered a complete firearm by the ATF. MSRP is around 140 dollars, so with shipping and FFL fee, and 500 dollars or so for a complete upper, a light, 700 dollar AR can be had.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Thats kinda cool never thought i would see a composite lower do you know what th weight difference is between the 2.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

Can you buy a stripped composite lower and use a separate trigger parts kit?

gray
    07 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by REVNORR82 View Post
    Thats kinda cool never thought i would see a composite lower do you know what th weight difference is between the 2.

Difference is 7.5 ounces for a total of 1lb 11 ounces. Nothing too drastic, but if your goal is the lightest AR you can make, this would be the way to do it.

gray
    07 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Tobynine9 View Post
    Can you buy a stripped composite lower and use a separate trigger parts kit?

stripped out lowers go for about 65 bucks before shipping. Also, you might be interested in a cav arms style lower.

These are very good receivers and proven to be top notch. the plum crazy is a newcomer and still needs to prove itself.

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

MY buddy found his Plum lower for 105 shipped. No name upper from JSE surplus and your into an AR for under $450.

gray
    07 duramax

There you go. His upper, however, is probably a blackthorne/hesse/vulcan. I wouldn't shoot through one of those uppers, unless I at a minimum upgraded the bolt and carrier. 450 is a good price for an AR, though.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    There you go. His upper, however, is probably a blackthorne/hesse/vulcan. I wouldn't shoot through one of those uppers, unless I at a minimum upgraded the bolt and carrier. 450 is a good price for an AR, though.
    I think at that price I would buy one quad rail it and put the cheapest accessories I could find make a crazy ass ar like you see in the pics

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2002 WS6 TA VERT M6 HOOKER SUPER COMPS ORY AND CAT BACK TUNE DONE BY CHARLES AT GREAD TUNNING!!

2007 Z71 EXTENDED CAB PROGRAMMER COLD AIR
    TRUE DUALS

gray
    07 duramax

That would be cool.

I think a dedicated 22lr would be perfect for this lower too.

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

Like this!!!

silver
    2002 ws6 ta convertible

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Seems like it would wear out alot faster tho, expecially the hammer after alot of usage!!

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    Hey now, I know Vulcan isnt the greatest. BUT, Ive got one of their 16" stainless fluted bulls on my AR, and it printed 3/8" @ 100 yds with Wolf 62gr.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

Dad ordered three of those lowers yesterday, two uppers today, a 16" dpms and a 20" stainless heavy barrel, I'm putting together the shorter one and looking at foregrips and buttstocks now. I couldnt find much info about these lowers, am I right in assuming that the buttstock can be changed?

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

just seems to me that a lightweight lower would make the gun feel top heavy.

i know my XD is bad about at with the clip out

Thread Information