Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Question Can I carry a pistol in my CAR legally? No CCW.

I travel a considerable amount, and would like to start bringing my pistol with me. I'm about to drive to Myrtle Beach, and wondering if I can legally carry my pistol in my car? It's registered, I do not have a CCW or have the time to get one at the moment.

If so, Do the rounds have to be in the trunk while the pistol itself is in the cab/locked out in a case?

If I get pulled over, is there a chance of getting in any kind of trouble?
    Last edited by Hi-Po; 01-06-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Title

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    I travel a considerable amount, and would like to start bringing my pistol with me. I'm about to drive to Myrtle Beach, and wondering if I can legally carry my pistol in my car? It's registered, I do not have a CCW or have the time to get one at the moment.

If so, Do the rounds have to be in the trunk while the pistol itself is in the cab/locked out in a case?

The laws change state to state. In WI the gun has to be in a case out of arms reach and unloaded. The rounds have to be stored serperately from the gun. As far as trouble you can get into... that also changes state to state.

Midnight Blue
    2001 WS6 TRANS AM

As far as PA is concerned..once you put a gun in the car it is "concealed". I wouldnt chance it without a Permit... If something happens the law tends to screw over.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Hmmmm, with as many states I drive through... its impossible to know. I guess I'll leave the pistols here. I would love to have them with me though, shooting pairy dogs with the .44 Super Redhawk would have been awesome! I really need to get a CCW.

Excuse the dumb question, if I get a CCW in Michigan, does that transfer over to any other state? If not, its pointless because im only here a few months a year maybe.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Hmmmm, with as many states I drive through... its impossible to know. I guess I'll leave the pistols here. I would love to have them with me though, shooting pairy dogs with the .44 Super Redhawk would have been awesome! I really need to get a CCW.

Excuse the dumb question, if I get a CCW in Michigan, does that transfer over to any other state? If not, its pointless because im only here a few months a year maybe.
    I dont think one permit works in all states. Because how you obtain the permit is different between states. Some you just mail in your info, others require more detailed examination.

Black
    1997 Firehawk LT4

Many of your questions can be answered with a half hour of reading here:

http://www.carryconcealed.net/

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

myrtle beach I believe it has to be locked in a case or the dash, when I went to myrtle beach last june I kept mine in my case with a lock on it.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

That is in sc btw and when you get pulled you have to let the officer know, and I always put mine on the dash if its not in the case, NC is a open carry state.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by LT4Hawk9 View Post
    Many of your questions can be answered with a half hour of reading here:

http://www.carryconcealed.net/

Assuming it is accurate, good info.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Thanks for the information. Ill read up when I find some time, currently.... pistols are staying in the safe. Poor things haven't been shot in months.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Thanks for the information. Ill read up when I find some time, currently.... pistols are staying in the safe. Poor things haven't been shot in months.
    Well I can tell you the laws in NC and a few for SC, if you will be traveling threw here, just got to make sure that info is updated on that site.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I forget which states it's in but there are several states that one permit works in. There's a guy that comes to ohio to give the class for blah blah state because it's so far reaching. It's like 8-9 states or something that the one permit covers.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    Well I can tell you the laws in NC and a few for SC, if you will be traveling threw here, just got to make sure that info is updated on that site.
    If the pistol comes with me on this trip, it will most likely be going to florida, and a possibility of Minnesota, iowa, texas, california, Wyoming or the northwestcand everywhere in between. That's the thing, I don't know where i'll be going really. I blame my job for that!

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

If the pistol comes with me on this trip, it will most likely be going to florida, and a possibility of Minnesota, iowa, texas, california, Wyoming or the northwestcand everywhere in between. That's the thing, I don't know where i'll be going really. I blame my job for that!
    The only real states you have to worry about is New Jersey, New York, they are real dicks about that lol. I have carried mine threw virginia and sc thats it lol, but I am sure their is a site that shows all the rules and regs on that.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Transporting firearms you own already accross state lines is protected by the fed transport law and they don't have to be locked in a case unless they are in the passenger compartment or otherwise accessible.

If the state you are travelling to does not have a firearms transport law (some say long guns must be unloaded though) or is less restrictive, then you can follow their law when travelling in it. For instance in VA you can load a handgun and carry it openly in your car.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

You can in Texas.
    State by State laws vary greatly.
    Check with your State.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have a Texas CHL....a Utah and Pennsylvania CHL....reason is the way states reciprocate with one another....with those three I am covered in 40+ states.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I have a Texas CHL....a Utah and Pennsylvania CHL....reason is the way states reciprocate with one another....with those three I am covered in 40+ states.

I may have to go talk with the powers that be about this.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I may have to go talk with the powers that be about this.
    For some reason, I don't see you putting a good word in for me either!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

LOL....PA is the easiest. Send the Sheriff (pick a county in PA) a copy of your State of Residence CHL...and I think about $35 bucks....and you get a PA CHL Good for like 5 years.

Thread Information