Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

building an AR-15. parts manufacturers preference?

as the subjects says I am building an AR-15. Those of you who have built your own firearms, which part manufacturers do you like and why?

in example:
    -Rockriver arms
    -dpms
    -magpul
    -calvary arms
    -M&A
    -DSA
    -etc, etc, etc,

I bought the lower reciever and dpms parts kit.
    Upper receiver will be a 5.56 nato/.223 (gas tube not piston) with a 18" or 20" barrel.
    I'm going to keep the gun all black, with a tactical urban assualt look (staying away from the typical m16 style look)

Brownell has good info on building an AR-15 from videos to a parts configurator http://www.ar15builder.com/

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Mine all RRA (upper, lower, all reciever parts, and bcg) with YHM freefloat 4 rail, vltor lo-pro gas block. LMT SOPMOD stock(best option over all) Harris BRM bi-pod, and tangodown/grippod vert grip with bi-pod.

I like RRA beacause its all quality. YHM was availability. LMT is because its the best stock out there. Harris bi-pod, because Harris is THE name in bipods, THe vert grip was given to me.

Now my barrel is Vulcan. lots of people shit-talk Vulcan. They make lots of machine gun barrels for the military. They arent known for amazing accuracy, BUT, mine is amazingly accurate. 3/8" @ 100 yards, 3 shot group, Wolf 62gr fmj.

Theres my 0.02

(brownells might have good info, but all of thier AR parts are way too expensive, and can easily be found cheaper.)

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

I have a Del-ton. Didn't build it myself but I hear they make good kits.

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

I got my buddy across the street into a Del-Ton kit. he finished out his stripped lower for 465 plus shipping. to complete your lower, it sounds like you need a stock kit, and a complete upper. Del-ton has a great price for 16 inch, heres the link. Shoots nice, chrome lined barrel, etc.
    http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Rifle_Kits_16_s/57.htm
    for me, the jury is still out on chrome lined barrels. I think chromemoly is more accurate, but you need to keep on top of your cleaning regimen. Chrome lined is good if you are going to shoot ancient ammo with corrosive primers and are worried of pitting the barrel that costs like 150 dollars and takes about 10 seconds to replace.

that includes LPK, stock kit, and ASSEMBLED upper. If I was you, I would sell the LPK you have and get that kit. Ill give you 50 bucks right now for your LPK, you could get more on gunbroker maybe. so you are basically into a decent rifle for right around 400 bucks.

but you should get an ar-10.
    Last edited by Modulistic; 02-08-2010 at 08:09 PM.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    Mine all RRA (upper, lower, all reciever parts, and bcg) with YHM freefloat 4 rail, vltor lo-pro gas block. LMT SOPMOD stock(best option over all) Harris BRM bi-pod, and tangodown/grippod vert grip with bi-pod.

I like RRA beacause its all quality. YHM was availability. LMT is because its the best stock out there. Harris bi-pod, because Harris is THE name in bipods, THe vert grip was given to me.

Now my barrel is Vulcan. lots of people shit-talk Vulcan. They make lots of machine gun barrels for the military. They arent known for amazing accuracy, BUT, mine is amazingly accurate. 3/8" @ 100 yards, 3 shot group, Wolf 62gr fmj.
    Theres my 0.02

(brownells might have good info, but all of thier AR parts are way too expensive, and can easily be found cheaper.)
    ^^^^ Is that an average or just one time? How abot 5-shot groups?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

what is the cost of building your own vs buying one???

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

cost depends on whos parts you use,you can build a complete rifle with Del-ton Inc parts for about $600

this also depends on what accessories and barrel you use if you go good name brand stuff be looking at 800-1000 dollars for a fairly tricked out setup

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by dpinson View Post
    cost depends on whos parts you use,you can build a complete rifle with Del-ton Inc parts for about $600

this also depends on what accessories and barrel you use if you go good name brand stuff be looking at 800-1000 dollars for a fairly tricked out setup

not to bad... the closest place to me that sells them has them for $1,400 - $2,200... but it's been about 10 years since i've been there...

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    not to bad... the closest place to me that sells them has them for $1,400 - $2,200... but it's been about 10 years since i've been there...

I had a Bushmaster (M-4 type) built for $1320. That included a new Bushmaster carbine with National Match barrel and trigger, an ACE stock, and a C-more tactical rail reflex sight with integral A2 rear peep to co-witness. All boresighted and sent (shipping included) to my local FFL holder. Been a few years now, but that was a compensated barrel, not a flash suppressor, w/o a bayonet lug. I really miss the opportunity to attach a bayonet......NOT.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    I had a Bushmaster (M-4 type) built for $1320. That included a new Bushmaster carbine with National Match barrel and trigger, an ACE stock, and a C-more tactical rail reflex sight with integral A2 rear peep to co-witness. All boresighted and sent (shipping included) to my local FFL holder. Been a few years now, but that was a compensated barrel, not a flash suppressor, w/o a bayonet lug. I really miss the opportunity to attach a bayonet......NOT.
    you never know if you need to stab your target to finish it off...

Awaiting Activation

69 hugger orange
    98 z28

check out legal transfers llc they are one of the top rock river arms dealers and can get you a good deal on a tricked out rifle with chromelined barrel,match trigger and hogue grip

and i promise you wont be dissapointed with accuracy i can put as many bulets as you want through a 1" bullseye at 100 yds with mine
    Last edited by dpinson; 02-09-2010 at 07:28 AM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    You can buy a complete Del-ton for less. Paid $800 for mine. The Colt was $500 more. Bushmaster, Smith&Wesson, etc. are a lil more than Delton but not better imo.

long and strong Willfully Armed's Avatar

Black
    01 WS6 (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    Chrome lined is good if you are going to shoot ancient ammo with corrosive primers and are worried of pitting the barrel.
    AR10, he may have to worry about corrosive ammo, highly unlikely in a 5.56.

As for accuracy, I believe stainless is far superior to chomemoly and chrome lined.

Anyone whos regularly shoots old berdan ammmo, keeps Windex and gun oil in the same box. The ammonia in the windex counteracts the corrosive properties.

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    ^^^^ Is that an average or just one time? How abot 5-shot groups?
    That was all day long at a Precision Rifle certification I did 3 months ago. We were doing 3 shot strings at several different targets.

Gun hasnt been fired since. (shitty Kansas Weather and all)

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Willfully Armed View Post
    AR10, he may have to worry about corrosive ammo, highly unlikely in a 5.56.

As for accuracy, I believe stainless is far superior to chomemoly and chrome lined.

Anyone whos regularly shoots old berdan ammmo, keeps Windex and gun oil in the same box. The ammonia in the windex counteracts the corrosive properties.

That was all day long at a Precision Rifle certification I did 3 months ago. We were doing 3 shot strings at several different targets.

Gun hasnt been fired since. (shitty Kansas Weather and all)
    That is pretty much my opinion too, however I didnt know stainless was that much superior to chromemoly

red
    2000 Z28

What is your purpose for the rifle, benchrest range toy? home defense? all around? Stick with a 16-18" barrel unless you're going to be shooting from a rest only.

1/7" or 8" twist will stabliize heavier ammo better. Colt, LMT, Bravo Company, Daniel Defense, Noveske, GTS, LaRue, White Oak all are some of the best off the shelf barrels.

Chrome-lined is easier to clean, stainless can be more accurate but all the above are capable of shooting sub inch groups at 100m from a rest with match ammo, whether stainless or chrome-lined.

For your bolt carrier group, stick with Bravo Co., GTS, Daniel Defense or Colt.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

My gun is totally RRA

id avoid magpul...no certain reason, just would.

DPMS makes good guns....but heavy.

they also have an upper without a bump assist or dust cover.....makes for a cleaner looking gun

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

thanks for the info...

Agreed brownell, has good info but high priced.

I will check out the other brand everyone listed

blue
    83 mustang 347

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    thanks for the info...

Agreed brownell, has good info but high priced.

I will check out the other brand everyone listed
    I wanted a stainles bull barrel with 1/8 twist for my last one so I committed heresy and ordered an upper from Model 1 sales and I'm happy with it. Delton is a good inexpensive place to get an upper. Bravo company seems to be the cats ass right now though.

Mine has a DPMS lpk and RRA BCG

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

mines not quite a bull....its a heavy match, just a hair thinner, but its a stainless 1 in 8, 20"

red
    2000 Z28

A very informative forum for AR's used by bad dudes who kick in doors for a living is http://www.m4carbine.net.

Thread Information