05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Any probs with m&p .40?

Anyone else having problems with their smith and wesson m&p? I'm having mag drop issues when firing. I sent the damn thing back twice and all they say is "can't duplicate but replaced mag catch". I love the way this thing fits my hand and how smooth/straight it fires so i'd hate to sell it but damn. It drops mags for everyone so it's not my grip. I'm thinking there's a flex problem with the frame causing the mag to slip off the catch. Is there any regulation to where they have to replace it after a certain amount of returns?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Well that must suck. Maybe this will help? http://mp-pistol.com/boards/index.php?showtopic=5403

05 Wrangler

Sweet thanks bro..i'll lurk the board and see what I find. Such a PITA I should've just got a glock or xd.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    Sweet thanks bro..i'll lurk the board and see what I find. Such a PITA I should've just got a glock or xd.
    My next gun was gonna be a M&P9 compact. Now not so sure. I got time to do more research tho seeing as how I'm broke anyway. Lol.

blue
    83 mustang 347

never had a problem with my m&p 9mm. but I had to trade it off for my first 1911

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Our department has been carrying the M&P for close to two years now. Never heard of that problem. It sounds like a specific problem to your gun. S&W should work with you on it. Keep records and make sure you TALK to someone who is in a position to make it happen.

Yes I had same issue.
    They gave me a new mag catch . Same as old one and did not work. Sent gun back they installed a new mag catch . (new design)200 rounds and so far working good?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by jad628 View Post
    Our department has been carrying the M&P for close to two years now. Never heard of that problem. It sounds like a specific problem to your gun. S&W should work with you on it. Keep records and make sure you TALK to someone who is in a position to make it happen.
    read the link I posted. Widespread problem.

red
    2000 Z28

They've replaced your mag catch 2x and it still drops mags after the replacement? What does your SN start with (MP?xxxxxxx)? There were numerous mag drop complaints attributable to the mag catch on early guns. S&W has a great warranty and great CS. Don't give up on it yet, they'll fix it. I've got about 12k rounds through my M&P9 (daily carry and IDPA SSP gun) and 2k through my 9c with no malfunctions through either.

06 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
    02 superchipsZ28 M6(sold)

its a smith then its a problem.....i dont care for smith and wesson. i also have heard of this before dont remember if it was the m&p though.

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by bamaz28 View Post
    its a smith then its a problem.....i dont care for smith and wesson. i also have heard of this before dont remember if it was the m&p though.
    S&W has made a whole lot more good firearms than lemons. Maybe you don't care for them, but they make some damn fine guns.

05 Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by tremiles View Post
    They've replaced your mag catch 2x and it still drops mags after the replacement? What does your SN start with (MP?xxxxxxx)? There were numerous mag drop complaints attributable to the mag catch on early guns. S&W has a great warranty and great CS. Don't give up on it yet, they'll fix it. I've got about 12k rounds through my M&P9 (daily carry and IDPA SSP gun) and 2k through my 9c with no malfunctions through either.
    It's a MPFxxxx. The mag catch has been replaced 3x if you count the time they sent me the catch and I put it in myself. The polymer is so thin in the grip area it has to be a flex problem. S&W blaming the catch is just a cheap way of working around the real problem. I can't even sell this POS unless it's for 1/4 value...who wants a pistol that drops mags.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Damn I really wanted an M&P9 compact. Now I'm thinking maybe Glock 26??

Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Just got back from night-time qualification with my S&W M&P .40 full size. Shot 100%, no problems at all. Nineteen other shooters on the line and no weapon-related failures. Same as always.

It really sounds like there are a few lemons that need to be dealt with, but I know personally that over 1500 of them are working just fine.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Well I just got my M&P9 compact. Haven't gotten it to the range yet but hopefully it'll be issue free.

Thread Information