Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation 1911 vs. Glock: Which Is the Better Gun?

It’s a debate as old as time itself — or at least as old as the Glock itself. Since hitting...»

More...

Black
    2002 B4C

Hands down 1911.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Glock ....

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Hahaha, this is just a bad article to write as there is no right answer. IMO I am a 1911 guy but the guns are so different does it really make sense to compare them? It is like comparing a reliable toyota camry to a 69 camaro. Both cars have there purpose just like both guns do but the purposes are different.

The glock is a super reliable and cheap(compared to many of the 1911s) striker fire duty pistol that can hold oodles of rounds. The 1911 is a age old design that is also very reliable has much less ammo capacity but god damn is it a sexy gun that shoots amazing.

As for self defense I would want a 1911 in my hands as far as accuracy goes but that is just me. But knowing that after I do kill this SOB the cops will take my gun as evidence for the next year or two I would want the glock because I like shooting my 1911 to much to not have it for a long time.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 07-17-2012 at 05:09 AM.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I have to admit that I have never fired a Glock but I do own a beautiful Colt .45 1911 series 70 which is polished nickel with Rosewood grips. It has a smoth action, never jams and it always on the target. I love the looks and the weight as well. Overall a great handgun and it is not as heavy as you would think.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    I have to admit that I have never fired a Glock but I do own a beautiful Colt .45 1911 series 70 which is polished nickel with Rosewood grips. It has a smoth action, never jams and it always on the target. I love the looks and the weight as well. Overall a great handgun and it is not as heavy as you would think.
    I am sure most gun enthusiasts have at least held a 1911. I love the all steel frame ones the most. The aluminiums are cool but I feel I shoot better with the steel.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Different strokes for different folks. I've shot numerous 1911's over the years, as well as Glocks. I've owned several different Glocks in several different calibers and I carry a Glock on duty. Nothing against the 1911, as it is a fine weapon and I would have no hesitation about carrying one if I ever gave up my Glock. Both are excellent firearms. It just comes down to personal preference.
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28 A4
    SLP cold air intake/lid, SLP smooth bellow, Pacesetter LT's, ORY, Magnaflow exhaust, BMR STB, adjustable Panhard rod, SFC's, LCA's, 1LE sway bars, cross-drilled rotors

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by FinZ28 View Post
    Different strokes for different folks. I've shot numerous 1911's over the years, as well as Glocks. I've owned several different Glocks in several different calibers and I carry a Glock on duty. Nothing against the 1911, as it is a fine weapon and I would have no hesitation about carrying one if I ever gave up my Glock. Both are excellent firearms. It just comes down to personal preference.
    Agree, personal preference and different purposes. I love shooting the 1911 as I have stated and I think I would probably be more accurate with the 1911 than a glock but as a carry gun if it is going to be full or mid size frame gun I want something with a good amount of ammo capacity. Sure most CCW shoots only see a few bullets fly but I want to be prepared for a group or more. That is why I usually carry my XDM if I am carrying a good size firearm, 3 16 round clips should be a good start.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Not all guns are a great choice/fit for everybody.

When I considering what gun is best for me.

My factors for purchase are:

Fitment - how it feels in both hands. I've found some guns are just to big in the grips for me to be able to hold steady and firm. Having one come flying out of your hands is a little scary.

Reliability - both the gun maker and the gun itself. Good gun makers have made shitty products and shitty gun makers can get lucky and make a good product.

Simplicity - how difficult is the gun to use, clean, fix.

Aftermarket support

Now comparing the 2 choices Glock 45 vs Colt 1911 based on those 4 factors.

I have to say I favor Glock more. Not because I'm a Glock fan/owner, but because based on my list of factors above Glock out performs the Colt 1911 in fitment, reliability, and simplicity, but ties in aftermarket support.

Don't get me wrong a 1911 is still one of my favorite guns. It's a living piece of history as well as a key important step in the evolution of making guns. My fault with 1911 is when compared to today's standards and technology it has too many components that can lead to failure and can be out shot. Not to mention it's a PITA to reassemble, how many steps to tear down a 1911?

These are just my opinions.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 07-17-2012 at 08:36 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post

Fitment - how it feels in both hands. I've found some guys are just to big in the grips for me to be able to hold steady and firm. Having one come flying out of your hands is a little scary.

Bright Rally Red
    2001 Chevy Camaro Z28

Scott might want to proofread a little better before he posts........

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

wow I wish I could have caught that before you did..... way out of context...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Once you put a 1911 in your hands you never want to let it go. It almost becomes part of your hand. It's hard to explain, I guess it's just a gun thing.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I have a glock 21 for over 2 years now. Is my home defense gun. I like the fact is easy to operate, i can get parts cheap(specially OEM since im an armorer), there are plenty of aftermarket options. I finally got a chance to shoot a 1911 last week. The difference was amazing. Very accurate and i felt the recoil was straight back instead of a flip. I love my glocks and I shoot really well with them but 1911 is very nice. i just can't justify the investment now since I won't be carrying the 1911.

i do carry Springfield XDS 45. Is easy to operate, maintain and conceal with just 1 inch thick.

Thread Information