Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Test drove 2 - 556 Horsepower CTS-Vs today

I work as a tech at a Cadillac dealer. As rare as these cars are to come by, I worked on and drove 2 of the new body style CTS-Vs today. One was a 2009 customer car(3300 miles) and the other was a 2010 new car fresh off the truck with 1 mile on it. I've become the CTS-V goto guy at work. I guess I'm the only one the really trust to behave and do a really good job on these cars. Its a really cool feeling. I'm also the only one they trusted to work on a 2004 Viper that someone traded in, although I wasn't allowed to drive it. Only management could drive it...booo.
    I got on the gas a little bit in both these cars. They are QUICK!! Way too quiet though. Just thought I'd share...and brag a bit

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    ...and brag a bit
    you lucky s.o.b.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    you lucky s.o.b.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Sounds fun
    Hopefully you weren't to hard on the diff before it got broken in

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

no I didn't even take either one to a WOT shift. Boy I wish I could have one for a weekend of track fun

White
    '10 ZR1

no I didn't even take either one to a WOT shift. Boy I wish I could have one for a weekend of track fun
    Without looking it up, what are they 'supposed' to run in the 1/4? (stock)

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

If I had the money, I would already have one. I think they do 0-60 in 3.9??....

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    If I had the money, I would already have one. I think they do 0-60 in 3.9??....
    3.9 sec 0-60 is what they advertise.

And if it doesn't do a 12 second quarter with 556 ponies then "I ar disapoint son".

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    3.9 sec 0-60 is what they advertise.

And if it doesn't do a 12 second quarter with 556 ponies then "I ar disapoint son".
    oh it does..oh it does

98' trans am

I work as a tech at a Cadillac dealer. As rare as these cars are to come by, I worked on and drove 2 of the new body style CTS-Vs today. One was a 2009 customer car(3300 miles) and the other was a 2010 new car fresh off the truck with 1 mile on it. I've become the CTS-V goto guy at work. I guess I'm the only one the really trust to behave and do a really good job on these cars. Its a really cool feeling. I'm also the only one they trusted to work on a 2004 Viper that someone traded in, although I wasn't allowed to drive it. Only management could drive it...booo.
    I got on the gas a little bit in both these cars. They are QUICK!! Way too quiet though. Just thought I'd share...and brag a bit
    outstanding...i am heavily heavily thinking of getting into 1 after college and maybe a year extra ...anything about them you didnt like or dont like /mechanically/cosmetically/ergonomically?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Very cool! GMHTP had an article a while back on modding these cars. They installed LT's and and all, but left the factory mufflers in place.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

From GM
    Engine

The CTS-V 6.2L LSA engine is closely related to the Corvette ZR1 LS9 engine. The CTS-V's LSA engine was designed to provide class-leading performance. As a result of these efforts, the CTS-V establishes the new benchmark with best-in-class horsepower, torque and 0-60 mph time. In fact, the CTS-V punishes the competition in nearly every track measurement.

On Track Performance
    • 0-60 MPH (0-96 km/h): 3.9 seconds
    • ¼ mile: 12.0 seconds
    • Nürburgring lap: 7:59 minutes

6.2L LSA V8 Engine Specifications
    • 556 Horsepower @ 6100 RPM
    • 551 lb ft of Torque @ 3800 RPM
    • Aluminum block and heads
    • 9.1:1 compression ratio
    • Eaton Gen 6 Supercharger
    • Behr 1-brick Intercooler
    • 9.0 psi (0.62 bar) maximum boost

Eaton Gen 6 Supercharger Supercharging Technology

The CTS-V LSA engine features the latest supercharging technology with the Eaton Gen 6 Supercharger which combines peak performance with refined power. Supercharging allows the 6.2L V8 to achieve its impressive horsepower and torque numbers and provides the CTS-V with a wide, flat power band that’s usable at all rpm levels.

The supercharger compresses air to help move more volume into the intake manifold than a normally aspirated engine. As the air is compressed, it becomes heated. Before reaching the intake manifold, the air passes through an intercooler to help create a denser charge entering the combustion chamber. More dense, cool air in the combustion chamber means that additional fuel can be added to the mix, providing enhanced power without compromising fuel economy. Twin, 4-lobe rotors help create a smoother, more efficient flow of air into the engine and provide the added benefit of virtually eliminating supercharger noise. Typical of high performance supercharged engines at approximately 2600 RPM there is an audible whine, which is a normal condition.

SOPHISTICATED TRANSMISSIONS

6L90E Hydra-Matic

A 6L90E Hydra-Matic transmission is designed to optimize the torque output of the LSA engine and features two overdrive gears. Driver shift controls allow the driver to switch the automatic to clutchless manual mode. Upshifts and downshifts can be controlled through the center console shifter or via paddle shifters located on the back of the steering wheel.

Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS) allows the driver to choose Sport shifting mode, which determines if the car is being driven in a sustained performance manner and will force downshifts and hold lower gears to create the optimized shift pattern. PAS is so precise it allowed the CTS-V to achieve one of the fastest times ever recorded for a production sedan with stock tires on the Nürburgring (7:59 minutes). The automatic is electronically speed limited to 175 mph (281 km/h).

The 6L90 automatic transmission will only start in first gear for the first key cycle forward movement. This is to check the first gear range and the low gear ratio is then no longer used for forward take-offs. When in Manual Tap Mode the driver can select first gear and the gear range is displayed on the Driver Information Center (DIC).

Tremec TR-6060 six-speed manual

The Tremec TR-6060 six-speed manual with short-throw shifter is standard on every CTS-V. The TR-6060 has been upgraded with heavy-duty gears to handle the LSA engine’s torque. A dual-disc clutch system provides exceptional shift feel. This is a result of the performance-grade clutch system designed with a high-clamp load pressure plate. There is a distinctive increase in clutch pedal effort when compared to a standard clutch in most vehicles. Two overdrive gears add cruising comfort and help improve fuel economy. A 1-4 skip-shift is used under low throttle and light engine loads to maximize fuel economy. There is no driver notification of the event. Fine pitch teeth synchronizers help reduce shift travel for a refined performance feel. Dual reverse synchronizers provide easy shifting into reverse. With the manual transmission, the CTS-V achieves a top track speed of 198 mph (318 km/h).

The Tremec TR-6060 is a high performance transmission that has unique cold weather (usually below 40°F [4°C]) characteristics. On a 1-2 shift the driver may experience an uneven feel and an audible engagement noise. They tend to subside after 5 miles (8 km) or 10 minutes of driving. This is a normal experience and in no way negatively affects the performance or durability of the transmission.

Driveline
    Robust driveline components are designed to handle the engine’s torque. A heavy-duty cast iron limited-slip differential provides for optimal launches and strikes the right balance between excellent high-speed stability and low speed maneuverability. The heavy-duty propshaft has been stiffened and is 70 mm in diameter. SKF racing bearings at all four corners help provide confidence inspiring braking. Asymmetrical hollow half shafts (55 mm left/35 mm rear) help reduce resonance between the two shafts, thereby eliminating power hop.

Differential Cooler

Vehicles that will be driven at extended high speeds or in competitive driving, an add-on differential cooler is available from SPO. It is designed as a dealer installed kit. Additional information is available and was published in the October 2008 edition of the TechLink magazine Volume 10, Number 10.

TECHNOLOGICALLY ADVANCED CHASSIS

Brembo Braking Components

State-of-the-art braking components from Brembo help the CTS-V’s braking power match its acceleration speed. In the front, the rotors have been upsized to 370 mm, approximately 15 mm larger than the previous generation CTS-V, and feature 6-piston calipers. The rear brakes are 365 mm in diameter and include 4-piston calipers. Acco-cast disc design in the front features a cast-iron braking surface and an aluminum hat, combining the heat-resistance of cast iron with the light weight properties of aluminum.

Electronic Park Brake

An electric parking brake features a control switch on the base of the center console, at the bottom of the shifter bezel. The electric parking brake can be applied any time the vehicle is stopped or in motion. Lifting the lever switch up will activate the electric park brake. To release the electric parking brake, turn the ignition switch to the ON or RUN position, apply and hold the brake pedal, and push down momentarily on the electric parking brake switch. The electric parking brake will automatically release if the vehicle is running and put in motion. In a situation where no roll back is desired, an applied electric parking brake will allow both feet to be used for the clutch and accelerator pedals in preparation for starting the vehicle moving in the intended direction.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    outstanding...i am heavily heavily thinking of getting into 1 after college and maybe a year extra ...anything about them you didnt like or dont like /mechanically/cosmetically/ergonomically?
    Honestly I love everything about these cars. There is an optional suede steering wheel I didn't like as much. I also wouldn't want one with a sunroof, but most don't either one of those options. The Recaro seat option is awesome but the standard seats are great also.
    I also haven't driven or seen a manual transmission one yet....I think there are a lot of automatics out there.

98' trans am

Honestly I love everything about these cars. There is an optional suede steering wheel I didn't like as much. I also wouldn't want one with a sunroof, but most don't either one of those options. The Recaro seat option is awesome but the standard seats are great also.
    I also haven't driven or seen a manual transmission one yet....I think there are a lot of automatics out there.
    yeah i heard the recaro seats are to die for...but a suede steering wheel is

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Ditto on the steering wheel. However I would take one with a sunroof.....

Black
    1999 WS6

I know this isn't the forum to post this on, being GM related and all... but I have too. I had the pleasure of running across a 2009 CTS-V just entering the Interstate in front of me while I was driving my Roush P51B. How do I know it was an "09"?? His plate says 09CTSV.
    I got up close to him to see if he'd push it because I know they are quick, I wanted to see how quick. I saw brown smoke and the ass dive down and he started pulling away. I dropped back into 3rd and punched it and nearly ran him over. I pulled up alongside as he looked in disbelief, followed me to my exit and asked to see under the hood. My hood clearly shows 510HP, and he wanted to know what upgrades were done. I said this is all Roush, just re-tuned a bit to open things up.
    They are beautiful cars, that's for sure and to 60 very quick. After that they seem to lose momentum.
    What do they weigh?
    1999 WS6 - Black - 414rwhp 401rwtq w/o NOS
    632rwhp 577rwtq with HSW 250shot NOS

98' trans am

597 rwhp 562rwtq does not equal 510 ...kind of shitty of you to say oh just a tune to open things up .......

plus the cts-v pulls in these numbers at the fly # 556 @ 6100
    # Torque (lb-ft) 551 @ 3800

so yeah i wouldnt say they loose momentum..it is just that you had a much faster car

by the way they way 4200lbs

so your 3500 pound monster should have whipped that Vs ass

Black
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    597 rwhp 562rwtq does not equal 510 ...kind of shitty of you to say oh just a tune to open things up .......

plus the cts-v pulls in these numbers at the fly # 556 @ 6100
    # Torque (lb-ft) 551 @ 3800

so yeah i wouldnt say they loose momentum..it is just that you had a much faster car

by the way they way 4200lbs

so your 3500 pound monster should have whipped that Vs ass

Seriously Shady...no mods yet on that car. I have Lt's, smaller pulley (2.8)being made, 181mm crank pulley, polished inlet elbow and dual 67mm throttle body on order. That and a tune will be $4000 but will then push 650 to the rear wheels as seen by a few other "B" model owners who have been playing with this forged TVS set up the past 3 years now. I still will need to change the FRPP 113mmCAI it comes with to provide more air to reach my goal of 725 as its pretty much maxed out at 650rwhp during tests.
    510HP was an advertisement forced to Roush to keep Ford and Shelby feeling all warm and fuzzy for their coveted GT500 sled so it remained "top dog".
    I promise you, 539rwhp 517rwtq was what it came with at 16psi of boost. The re-tune gave about 60 more HP. They run pig rich from the factory, and they all need to be re-tuned or they clog the cats.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by kevnstac View Post
    510HP was an advertisement forced to Roush to keep Ford and Shelby feeling all warm and fuzzy for their coveted GT500 sled so it remained "top dog".
    I promise you, 539rwhp 517rwtq was what it came with at 16psi of boost. The re-tune gave about 60 more HP. They run pig rich from the factory, and they all need to be re-tuned or they clog the cats.
    i understand that ...but that guy i am sure was thinking 510hp ..wtf ...none the less nice kill and those p51Bs are nasty...complete beasts ...when jack says it is the fastest mustang they have produced ...best believe it isnt pushing 510 lol

black
    02 ss camaro

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Without looking it up, what are they 'supposed' to run in the 1/4? (stock)
    I've seen a 09 run a 11.88 at the track.

Owner claimed to be bone stock.

Thread Information