Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Keep CTS V rear end from blowing up.

Around a few buddies with GTO's and F-Body's we had all heard a lot of things about the bad rear end problems in CTS V's as some are having children and need extra space for stuff & Kids it's a great logical step for LS power junkies.

SO is the problem as bad as the press and rumors make it out to be?

If so how is it best fixed?

2005 Cadillac CTS-V

on the "main" CTS-V forum there are plenty of members who have abused the hell out their rear end and it has failed in a spectacular fashion.

That being said, it is certainly a prevalent issue that the CTS-V community has to deal with. The problem isn't necessarily the rear end as it is people's driving style. The rear end has a wheel hop problem when you really get on the gas and the tires lose traction. This wheel hop has a tendency to crack the differential right open.

If people drove the car a little less aggressively (at least at launch) than this problem wouldn't become exascerbated. But lets be honest, nobody buys a V to drive it like a regular Caddy, myself included.

Fixes range from simply installing some additional washers and bushings all the way to people experimenting with entirely different rear-ends. The results (as well as the price) varies.

There are a few companies that make kits to reduce the wheel hop or to upgrade the diff, each attacking the problem from a different angle. It all starts with your right foot though...

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

thank you. that makes a lot of sense actually. I was trying to help this forum grow. I read a couple of articles where the brand new test car rear end died on their first few runs.

Thanks

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

I just blew the rear end up on my 04 cts-v this weekend. kinda pissed off obviously because i have only put 8000 miles on it (personally) and this is my second time bringing it in for a rear end issue. first time was for snapped bolts. this time it seems to be a pinion shaft in my opinion. took off normal from a stop light, heard a loud thud, and then nooo go. all the gear oil blew out of it at that moment. its pretty weird though, because i can be in gear, clutch out, and no grinding...well its at the dealer now, so in high hopes they will have a fix for it that doesnt break my bank. i do know they want to make me a deal on an 09 cts, but not a V. Test drove the standard cts w/ the 3.6 direct injection, beautiful car but certainly not a V. There is no replacement for a cts-v. simple as that. unfortunately i cant afford one of the NEW V's, or else i would grab it in a heartbeat Anybody on this forum got any idea's as to a good replacement? or maybe somebody who makes harder gearing??

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Are they using a 10-bolt rear in the CTS-V?

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Angry

nope, just a regular old CTS differential. just got word today they arent going to replace it under warranty...and it turns out the root cause for failure was shotty workmanship to begin w/. im ready to slit GM's fucking throat. I have currently contacted 7 news presses, GM, and D.O.T.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

that sucks, what bullshit! I wish you luck!

Its a 4 door vette bitch! JOHN_DEERE_LS6's Avatar

Black Raven/Ebony cowskin
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

over on ls1tech theres a sticky of a guy you should contact since youve experience total rearend failure... there already investigating these diffs... maybe if we keep on them gm will send us all cast iron solutions!

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

When I used to post up on the various GTO forums, I watched debates over the rear diff. Apparently, there have been agreements that the rear diffs could not handle over 400 HP.

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

yeah ive already made my claim in with D.O.T., but that "investigation" has been going on for years now. its all grey area when it comes down to the words of warranty and what is considered "driving habits". They cant pin anything on GM, not unless they bought a bunch of CTS-V's and test drove em till they exploded. They got bigger fish to fry than to deal w/ that crap. Nobody cares anymore, the new V's are out. I should be getting a word back from GM customer care today, they called me on friday while i was at work.

RED
    99 ss camaro

bump

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

The 09 CTS-V has a cast iron rear diff housing! Unfortunately its doesn't swap into a earlier V.
    I've seen Vette rear ends crack open too, so me thinks aluminum isn't a good choice for a rear end housing.

Thread Information