2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Interior project complete

Normally I would have just added to this to one of the other threads, but since the first one was an intro and the second one is now a sticky, AND this section needs ALOT more activity, I started a new thread.

My interior project is complete. Those of you following will remember the Di-NOC project (from the sticky) and the plans I noted in there, for those who don't know, here's the outline.

1 - Laminated old-man-wood pieces with 3M's Di-NOC film (see sticky in this section for details)
    2 - re-wrapped stock steering wheel with perforated leather and alcantara
    3 - swapped stock shift knob for CTS-V2 Alcantara knob
    4 - installed autovation aluminum insert series pedals

Pics:

Silver
    2000 Trans Am

Where did you get that steering wheel cover, or was it stock?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Dang, that looks nice!!
    That reminds me. I came across a strange STS at work the other day. It was a Northstar naturally aspirated V8, AWD....with six lug wheels (stock is 5 lug)...and the STS-V Bremo Brakes but without the V logo painted on them.
    I heard through the grapevine that its a rare Bremo Brake option on a regular STS. Thought that was neat. Never heard of it.
    Last edited by Cutlass; 03-05-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

looks great! nicely done.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Dang, that looks nice!!
    That reminds me. I came across a strange STS at work the other day. It was a Northstar naturally aspirated V8, AWD....with six lug wheels (stock is 5 lug)...and the STS-V Bremo Brakes but without the V logo painted on them.
    I heard through the grapevine that its a rare Bremo Brake option on a regular STS. Thought that was neat. Never heard of it.
    That would be the STS "Sport Performance" package. It's not that it's rare really, it's more the fact that it was only offered in '10-'11 cars. But that is a kickass car if you want the style and feel of the STS-V and don't need the engine, or don't want the 16 miles-per-premium-gallon burden. You can also add the Platinum package which would give you the STS-V's Draxlmeier interior.

The thing that I don't understand about GM is now that they have tried to move away from the "badge engineering" practices that got them such a bad name in the past, they are missing out on the positive applications of those practices.

For instance - why, for this performance package, are they continuing to produce the horrific six-lug wheels? The CTS-V2's 5x120 hubs are direct bolt-ons for the STS, and the old Brembos are interchangeable with the CTS-V2's new setup, so why not ditch the stupid six lug setup and use the new CTS's pattern instead, with either the old 4/4 brembos or even the new 6/4 brembos? Then all the CTS and V wheels would be useable for the STS. Money saved, coolness gained.

Here's the one that really kills me...why is the XLR gone? There was a perfect opportunity for a very competitive and cost-effective halo car. Yeah the design was stale but who cares, it's still an awesome looking car. It sits on the frikin corvette platform after all!! So you can't tell me it's too expensive to update! All they needed to do was take the existing bodywork and update the grill and taillights, take a new CTS dash and seats and make whatever changes needed to fit them in the XLR interior, then go to the Vette parts bin as follows:

Base XLR - de-tuned LS3 (maybe the camaro version?) with the six-speed auto and paddle shift from the vette, Z51 brakes. Result - 420ish hp, 26mpg, new interior, almost no new parts!

XLR-V - LSA with six-speed paddle shift (maybe the T6060 as an option?), CTS-V brakes, same interior. Result - 550ish hp, 24mpg, new interior, and AGAIN almost no new parts!

It's great that we don't have to endure another badge-engineered Chevrontialdsmobuick Grand Intregalibu (the w-body for those who didn't get it), but GM is now missing out on some great opportunities for GOOD platform sharing.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Beck2013 View Post
    Where did you get that steering wheel cover, or was it stock?
    Sorry, I did not notice this post at first.

I sent the wheel off to "Dallas Custom Steering Wheel" to have it done. I wanted it done by pros because it's a heated wheel and they can be very tricky to recover safely.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '00 Formy A4

That looks awesome! I'm going to look atthesticky, I'm really interested in how you did the trim panels. Might be something nice to do in my 'Bird.

And I agree with you about the SLR...IMO that's a GREAT looking car, and with the LS3, I'd choose it over the Vette.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

cf looks so much better than the wood trim!!! good job!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Absolutely b e a u t i f u l! I love the STS-V! Wish I could find one!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Blakbird24, you really know your Cadillacs. I enjoy reading your replys.

Thread Information