Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I wanna buy an 04-07 CTS-V? Pro's and Con's?

I am interested in an 04-07 CTS-V. Can you suggest which year I get?

Any issues you know of or have heard of and is there a fix available?

Thanks

Ray Charles blue

The early ones have rear dif issues but not all of them, like the 10-bolt it has good and bad stories.

04-05 is the LS6 and the later years are LS2 so not sure which you would prefer. Some like th LS6 more where as some want the LS2 but it really wouldnt matter to me.

There are some decent deals on those right now.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

if you get one with the ls6 most of your fun parts should bolt right up

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yep, the rear end is about as good at the 10 bolt in the F-body, except it'll cost you alot more to fix it. And I don't think there is an aftermarket solution for a stronger rearend, so if you wanna upgrade it, it'll have to be a custom fab job. Otherwise, they are pretty cool cars. You get those big ass cool looking Brembo brakes!! And I can't really think of any common PITA problems with them besides the rear end.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass View Post
    Yep, the rear end is about as good at the 10 bolt in the F-body, except it'll cost you alot more to fix it. And I don't think there is an aftermarket solution for a stronger rearend, so if you wanna upgrade it, it'll have to be a custom fab job. Otherwise, they are pretty cool cars. You get those big ass cool looking Brembo brakes!! And I can't really think of any common PITA problems with them besides the rear end.
    The rear ends are weak because of the wheel hop the car experiences. change out the axles and from what i have read it eliminates most if not all of the problem. the motor mounts seem to go bad quickly so that is something to be careful of and a lot of the people have experienced easily chipped nav buttons. I know that mine was replaced about 2 years ago under warranty because of this. I absolutely love my V. It is an amazing car to drive.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Chipped navigation buttons? What do you mean?
    2004 SILVER CTS-V sittin on H&R Springs / KOOKS 1-7/8 LTH's/Corsa Cat-Back/COMP CUSTOM GRIND CAM(.613/.620)/TRICK FLOW HEADS

TUNED BY RACE PROVEN MOTORSPORTS

R.I.P. 505 RWHP PROCHARGED 98 SS

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I know all about the rears. It seems the Fab 9 is the only fix so far but it costs $5k, haha!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Yeah, the TFS heads and Centerforce clutch should bolt right up.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    Chipped navigation buttons? What do you mean?
    the paint chips off the buttons fairly easily. if you google "CTS-V chipped nav buttons" you will see all kinds of threads from Tech and Cadillac forum about the issue. I looked for pics but didnt find anything good.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Can you replace them yourself?

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Can you replace them yourself?
    I have seen threads where people have replaced the buttons themselves.

Ray Charles blue

My damn Jeep has a button that is chipping...................send a man to the mood but we cant have a plastic button that wont chip?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Yeah the paint coming off the buttons is a problem industry wide (GM, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, etc). It can be minimized or avoided if you're hands are clean and you're gentle with the buttons. I've heard that lotions/sunblock/etc accelerates the problem. Hopefully they eventually develope a better paint someday.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

all I have to say is buy a V. you will not be disappointed.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

The V is badass, but I will still be yearning for more the day I pick it up. I test drove a black V with tan interior last Saturday. I was hooked as soon as I pulled in the parking lot and saw it.

Now comes the disappointing part. >> The acceleration. By no means is this car slow, but you gotta remember what I got out of. My Camaro made over 500 RWHP. I used all 500 RWHP everyday so I am going through some serious withdraw right now. I could pull out into traffic and hit 60 in like 3 seconds, and I could short shift it to achieve this kind of acceleration. It was a monster, even in 6th gear. I guess I already miss it pretty bad and I'm still pretty upset. The V will never be what the Camaro was. I guess I feel like I am forever out of the game.

I know the Trick Flow heads will fit but I need to figure a way to hook up the Procharger as they don't make a bolt-on kit. A cam will be added at the same time.

I also need to see if my Quick Time scatter shield and Centerforce 12" clutch will fit? I know that the throwout bearing is mounted further out of the crank since the input shaft is shorter on the V T56.

Only thing is, I don't want to make the V like my Camaro was, which had a brutal ride and loud exhaust. I kinda like the way the V sounds and I love the way it rides.
    Last edited by 9t8z28; 07-26-2011 at 03:18 PM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

You might have to call ProCharger directly and ask if they can cross-reference the kit for the GTO with the V and see if the bracket for the GTO will bolt to the V. That way, you can take the blower from the Camaro and bolt it into the V.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

The V is badass, but I will still be yearning for more the day I pick it up. I test drove a black V with tan interior last Saturday. I was hooked as soon as I pulled in the parking lot and saw it.

Now comes the disappointing part. >> The acceleration. By no means is this car slow, but you gotta remember what I got out of. My Camaro made over 500 RWHP. I used all 500 RWHP everyday so I am going through some serious withdraw right now. I could pull out into traffic and hit 60 in like 3 seconds, and I could short shift it to achieve this kind of acceleration. It was a monster, even in 6th gear. I guess I already miss it pretty bad and I'm still pretty upset. The V will never be what the Camaro was. I guess I feel like I am forever out of the game.

I know the Trick Flow heads will fit but I need to figure a way to hook up the Procharger as they don't make a bolt-on kit. A cam will be added at the same time.

I also need to see if my Quick Time scatter shield and Centerforce 12" clutch will fit? I know that the throwout bearing is mounted further out of the crank since the input shaft is shorter on the V T56.

Only thing is, I don't want to make the V like my Camaro was, which had a brutal ride and loud exhaust. I kinda like the way the V sounds and I love the way it rides.
    That is all understandable. There are a ton of Vs out there with Maggies. Sell the procharger kit and get yourself a maggie. You sir would then have an absolute beast. As far as the sound, cut off the rear mufflers and you will love the sound even more and I promise it isn't a trashy sound.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

I had a 2004 CTS-V which I loved performance wise. Biggest issue I had was when minor stuff went bad, like my climate control panel went bad and the dealership wanted $900 to fix it, which included 3 hours labor, I found one online for $35 with shipping, and had to removed 4 little screws to replace. Other then that it was quick and handled amazing. Just make sure you get rid of the skip-shift, can get really really really annoying.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by DaddysZ28 View Post
    I had a 2004 CTS-V which I loved performance wise. Biggest issue I had was when minor stuff went bad, like my climate control panel went bad and the dealership wanted $900 to fix it, which included 3 hours labor, I found one online for $35 with shipping, and had to removed 4 little screws to replace. Other then that it was quick and handled amazing. Just make sure you get rid of the skip-shift, can get really really really annoying.
    Absolutely hate that on my car

Thread Information