Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

xbox problem with new hdmi cable...please help

i had an old (5 year old) netgear router. i got a new 250 gig 360 about a month ago and it has worked fine. i bought a new HD tv last week and hooked up the xbox using the RCA cables and have had no problems with connecting to the router (no reason why i wouldn't). for netflix and picture i picked up an hdmi cable which came in the mail today. i disconnected the RCA cables and hooked up the hdmi cable and instantly the xbox can no longer find the router. i switched back to the RCA and the router was found.

so i thought that perhaps i needed a new router to handle the HD that the hdmi cable, xbox, and tv could all handle. so i purchased a new netgear n600 dual band gigabit router.

hooked it up (using it right now to type this on my laptop) and hooked up the hdmi cable and the xbox can not find the router. hooked the RCA's back up and the router was found by the xbox. so...i hooked the hdmi back up and started going through the checklist for the troubleshooting and have had zero luck whatsoever with the trouble shooting guide.

anyone have any idea whatsoever as to why my xbox can not find my router when i hook up the hdmi cable?

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    i had an old (5 year old) netgear router. i got a new 250 gig 360 about a month ago and it has worked fine. i bought a new HD tv last week and hooked up the xbox using the RCA cables and have had no problems with connecting to the router (no reason why i wouldn't). for netflix and picture i picked up an hdmi cable which came in the mail today. i disconnected the RCA cables and hooked up the hdmi cable and instantly the xbox can no longer find the router. i switched back to the RCA and the router was found.

so i thought that perhaps i needed a new router to handle the HD that the hdmi cable, xbox, and tv could all handle. so i purchased a new netgear n600 dual band gigabit router.

hooked it up (using it right now to type this on my laptop) and hooked up the hdmi cable and the xbox can not find the router. hooked the RCA's back up and the router was found by the xbox. so...i hooked the hdmi back up and started going through the checklist for the troubleshooting and have had zero luck whatsoever with the trouble shooting guide.

anyone have any idea whatsoever as to why my xbox can not find my router when i hook up the hdmi cable?
    Is your new router wireless? The new 250GB Xbox is wireless compatible from the get go. Just hook the cable into the tv and have the Xbox find the router wireless. Might help, might not, just a suggestion
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

yes it's wireless capable. it picked up my old router just fine and it picks up the new router fine when the RCA cables are hooked up...but as soon as i hook up the hdmi cable instead of the RCA's i lose the signal entirely and immediately am disconnected from xbox live.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

yes it's wireless capable. it picked up my old router just fine and it picks up the new router fine when the RCA cables are hooked up...but as soon as i hook up the hdmi cable instead of the RCA's i lose the signal entirely and immediately am disconnected from xbox live.
    Try going into the system (Xbox) settings and switching it over to HDMI or HD

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I see that you are "akirk835" on the Xbox forums

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    Try going into the system (Xbox) settings and switching it over to HDMI or HD
    no clue what you're driving at here.

in system settings i went to "console setup", "display", and everything is in 1080p widescreen hdmi. don't know what changing any of that would have to do with it.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    I see that you are "akirk835" on the Xbox forums
    yes i am. like how i just cut and paste.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

it did connect one time momentarily but said that i needed to adjust my MTU on my router...but i have no clue what that means or how to do that and the error never came back since it never came close to establishing a connection again.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

no clue what you're driving at here.

in system settings i went to "console setup", "display", and everything is in 1080p widescreen hdmi. don't know what changing any of that would have to do with it.
    Thats what I was kinda thinking. I don't know how you could have that setup with RCA's. This is how mine is set up:

Xbox has HDMI cord going into the tv
    Xbox to router has internet cable going from router to Xbox (I have wireless but choose not to use it)

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

my router is next door at my parents house. i'm cheap and don't want to tack another $60 per month onto my phone bill just to have a line in my house when i get it for free from my parents.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i even got a cable and moved the router about 3 feet closer to my house but still nothing. i really hope that i don't have to have a hard line on this blasted thing. about the best option i'd have otherwise would be to get a couple of 50 foot ethernet cables and get it closer to my house yet by moving the router from the dining room to the living room which is about 10 feet closer to my living room...but i don't know that that would do much of anything.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

my router is next door at my parents house. i'm cheap and don't want to tack another $60 per month onto my phone bill just to have a line in my house when i get it for free from my parents.
    I understand, I am about run out of ideas bud

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

no worries. worse comes to worse i guess i'll just use the RCA's for a while until i can figure something else out. apparently they aren't too interested in my thread over on the xbox forum. the only reply is from me and the only views are probably from myself.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

no worries. worse comes to worse i guess i'll just use the RCA's for a while until i can figure something else out. apparently they aren't too interested in my thread over on the xbox forum. the only reply is from me and the only views are probably from myself.
    And me

I found it instantly

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Found this:

I have always played my games on Xbox in SD. Now I have an HDMI cable, but when I use it, it isn't connecting to the Internet/Xbox LIVE. But in standard definition, it connects just fine. I am going off of WiFi connection from a wireless router, but get connection all the time. I even go to search wireless networks, and it finds my network, but can't connect unless in SD. Why does it not connect to Internet/XBL when I plug in the HDMI cable?

ANSWER:

that is very odd. Using an HDMI cable or component cables IN NO WAY effects connecting to the internet. I would just check into your network settings and make sure everything is working fine. If that doesn't work, I'd just call the support line. Toll free: (800) 4MY-XBOX or (800) 469-9269

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

hahaha

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

hahaha
    What?

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

no shit...yeah that's what i'm lookin for. i wonder if they have people there on the weekends. i could call tomorrow.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

no shit...yeah that's what i'm lookin for. i wonder if they have people there on the weekends. i could call tomorrow.
    Thought that maybe I found you again

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Call them, I called and they answered (Robot )

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information