Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Windows 10 upgrade notification icon on the system task bar

Well, as some of you already know, Windows pulled a sneaky update shown as an 'important' update that updated your system for the release of the Windows 10 upgrade and planted an icon in the task bar as well in Windows 7 and 8 systems.

If you want to remove/uninstall this update, look for the: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583).

I just did it and it took over half an hour for it to configure and uninstall.

Once you uninstall it, make sure that you hide the update in Windows update so that it will not automatically install it again. It will only take a few minutes for it to show up again after you uninstall it. So, if you don't have your Windows update settings set to notify before installing, change it to notify so you can hide the update so it won't automatically reinstall.

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Well, as some of you already know, Windows pulled a sneaky update shown as an 'important' update that updated your system for the release of the Windows 10 upgrade and planted an icon in the task bar as well in Windows 7 and 8 systems.

If you want to remove/uninstall this update, look for the: Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3035583).

I just did it and it took over half an hour for it to configure and uninstall.

Once you uninstall it, make sure that you hide the update in Windows update so that it will not automatically install it again. It will only take a few minutes for it to show up again after you uninstall it. So, if you don't have your Windows update settings set to notify before installing, change it to notify so you can hide the update so it won't automatically reinstall.
    hmm... didn't even notice it until you pointed it out... thankfully it hasn't done any annoying popups (yet)... think i'll uninstall it...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Apparently they are not done either.

This morning I found this waiting to be downloaded, "important" Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664)

Having the suspicious mind that I do I decided to look into it. This is what I found:
    Microsoft reclassifies Windows 10 nagware patches, KB 2952664 and 2976978, as 'Important' | InfoWorld

So keep your eyes peeled for KB 2952664 and 2976978 if you don't want to deal with the Win 10 crap

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

So so far, I've uninstalled on my Win 7 daily use laptop:

KB3035583
    KB2990214
    KB2952664

I'll be doing the same on my Win 7 Desktop within a few days after I see how things work out on this laptop. I keep no files of any importance on this laptop. Those are all kept on my desktop and also backed up on an external HD.

I decided to break out my old laptop, a 2012 model, also running Win 7 Ultimate, (the laptop I am currently using, was purchased this past Jan) and left the Windows 10 updates on it and signed up for the Win 10 upgrade to be released sometime in July. There is currently nothing on that old laptop. I had brought it back to factory after purchasing my new laptop.

That way, I can have the Win 10 upgrade and be able to check it without any worries.

I will say that after uninstalling the KB2990214, I've already noticed a lighter load on my CPU and my fans are nice a quiet again

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Dena, so you obviously don't want to pick-up the free upgrade to Windows 10, which by the way is pretty amazing given Microsoft has never done the OS upgrade as a free download before. What are your concerns with 10? Are you perhaps waiting until after the certain to happen problems and first major service pack? Eventually they will stop supporting our beloved 7 but I hear that 10 has backed off of a lot of the things in 8 that people didn't like so 10 should be something of a cross between 7 and 8.

Steve

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Hopefully Win 10 will follow the trend

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    Dena, so you obviously don't want to pick-up the free upgrade to Windows 10, which by the way is pretty amazing given Microsoft has never done the OS upgrade as a free download before. What are your concerns with 10? Are you perhaps waiting until after the certain to happen problems and first major service pack? Eventually they will stop supporting our beloved 7 but I hear that 10 has backed off of a lot of the things in 8 that people didn't like so 10 should be something of a cross between 7 and 8.

Steve
    I've found it best not to the first in line for any new Windows roll out Plus, I think Windows should tell its customers that they are loading software they don't need in updates so secretly. It is not an important update. When I am ready to start using Win 10, I will either buy a PC with it or buy the software myself and do a clean install after the gazillion bugs to be expected are worked out. Something always gets screwed up with computer performance and older software when you upgrade a previous version of Windows.

Plus, I finally once again, have all my computers reading each other just fine on my home network with Win 7 and all my daily use software and printers/fax/scanners' are all in sync with each other too. I'm in no rush to upgrade and don't need the extra crap clogging up my system when I didn't ask for it. Been there and done that with Vista

I can be patient when it comes to OS upgrades

blue
    1999 TransAm

..I went to win 8.1 last year, ...why would I want win10 all of a sudden?...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Win 10 is supposed to fix all of the Win 8 woes So, it would make more sense for a Win 8 user to upgrade. But for us Win 7 users, let everyone else be the guinea pigs. I'll wait and see how it's accepted over all before I make the leap to Win 10

blue
    1999 TransAm

Win 10 is supposed to fix all of the Win 8 woes So, it would make more sense for a Win 8 user to upgrade. But for us Win 7 users, let everyone else be the guinea pigs. I'll wait and see how it's accepted over all before I make the leap to Win 10
    I like win 8.1 though... not sure what "woes", but i'm assuming it's folks who thought the interface was too much of a change from the "familiar" winxp/vista/7 interface?...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I guess it would depend on the software's you use and how you use your computers.

The whole Win 10 thing is to try and become an across the board OS for Windows. One OS for all the different computer types, traditional PC to touch screens, to tablets, and phones, etc... That is fine, but not something I need. I use Windows, Android and Apple OS systems. I like being familiar with all three. And personally, I just hope that Windows doesn't end up too much like Apple in that Windows (particularly 98, XP and 7) gives you much more customization options. That is also something I like about Android and dislike the lack of very much with Apple.

Hopefully if Windows goes off the rails, our good friends at Stardock will come to the rescue once again

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I guess it would depend on the software's you use and how you use your computers.

The whole Win 10 thing is to try and become an across the board OS for Windows. One OS for all the different computer types, traditional PC to touch screens, to tablets, and phones, etc... That is fine, but not something I need. I use Windows, Android and Apple OS systems. I like being familiar with all three. And personally, I just hope that Windows doesn't end up too much like Apple in that Windows (particularly 98, XP and 7) gives you much more customization options. That is also something I like about Android and dislike the lack of very much with Apple.

Hopefully if Windows goes off the rails, our good friends at Stardock will come to the rescue once again

can't wait to see how fubar this goes....
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Only time will tell. You and I will have a seat all the way in the back to watch from a safe distance though, Scott

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Windows 10 upgrade notification icon on the system task bar

I rode XP a yr past they quit giving updates. And then still only went to 7.

blue
    1999 TransAm

..I uninstalled the update, ...but still have the "get windows 10" icon

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

There is more than just the one update. Check your installed updates list.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Oh, and if you didn't hide the update after you uninstalled it, it will install it again if you have your win update set to install updates automatically. And even if you hide it, you have to watch your updates because they will sneak it in again weeks later. I just had to re-hide it on my desktop this past week.

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Win 10 is supposed to fix all of the Win 8 woes
    The only "woes" that the current iteration of windows 8 has is clueless users who like to complain.

It's funny to me that people had no complaints about learning AN ENTIRELY NEW OS when they picked up their first Droids and iPhones, but act like the start screen is the end of the world because they have to slightly adjust how they open facebook on their home computer.

Windows 8 and server 2012 are absolutely fantastic OSes that blow their competition (I use that word figuratively since there really is no competition for windows) out of the water.

I really feel sorry for anyone still on windows 7, as I can turn on my desktop or laptop, check my mail, clean up the files synced from my Icon, and shut down before they even see their desktop. I have a win7 laptop that I keep around for legacy compatibility, and I absolutely loathe using it. It literally takes 12 mins to boot...all the machines I use for work are encrypted due to the field that I work in, and the encryption has a very detrimental effect on speed on the win7 laptop...not at all on the win8 machines.

I could go on and on about what windows 8 does right and why people need to get over themselves.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Sounds like you need faster processors

I'll wait before going to Win 10, and my machines take seconds to load, Thanks anyway

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Solid state drives fix a lot of that...write speeds even when encrypted to DOD standards are crazy fast.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information