Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Unable to Open Internet Exporer....Please Help!

Okay so I was on myspace the other day and I started to download some bull shit when my antivirus alert came on. It asked my if I wanted to quaratine or allow program to install. I click, "allow." Same screen came up again a couple of time and I decieded to quaratine. A few minutes later I got kicked of all my Explorers. I open them up again and same thing happens. The other day I try to open my explorer and nothing won't happen. It doesn't even open up and display, page unable to open. The hour-glass next to mouse appears then dissappears. Any suggestions as to wat may happened and can I fix it. I.E. connection problem, do I need to change some settings? Thanks in advance.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

You have a virus

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    You have a virus
    Most likely, yes...

Boot to safe mode with network support and run a full scan.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    Most likely, yes...

make sure you have no internet conection while you do this...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    Most likely, yes...

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

make sure you have no internet conection while you do this...
    network support is internet connection...he will want internet connection to 1. update his AV to the newest deff.

2. to research or possibly d/l another free AV

3. use a online scanner

4. download or update malware scanner

try running windows update from the start menu...and see what happens..most likely you do indeed have some malicious code.. 1 dont just blindly allow things to be installed...however what IE are you running? 7? is your system up to date? best bet is to run the AV once you get any type of browser reaction..d/l firefox and d/l ie7 and sp3

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

thanks guys much appreciated.

98' trans am

also worth noting just for shits and giggles....go to the start menu...click on run...type cmd...then type ping www.yahoo.com....if it comes back with several responses then it is a in house thing (a computer thing) also have you tried turning off your firewall and seeing what happened? but i am 99% sure you my friend have a virus..thats what you get for d/l shit from myspace.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    network support is internet connection...he will want internet connection to 1. update his AV to the newest deff.

2. to research or possibly d/l another free AV

3. use a online scanner

4. download or update malware scanner

try running windows update from the start menu...and see what happens..most likely you do indeed have some malicious code.. 1 dont just blindly allow things to be installed...however what IE are you running? 7? is your system up to date? best bet is to run the AV once you get any type of browser reaction..d/l firefox and d/l ie7 and sp3
    problem is with what ever virus it might be has implanteed a key root that changes every time the internet conection is opened... or it could be a key tracer... or other shit along thoes lines...

98' trans am

well root kit viruses are very few and far between...if he has ever installed a AV in the past 2 years then it will protect for the most part...new viruses are weak and kind of toyshop viruses..used by script kiddies ect. he needs to d/l sp3 ect...

98' trans am

WAIT a minute...ok if you have XP..you need to go to the run menu and type CMD. then type "sfc /scannow" exactly how i typed it....make sure you have the windows install CD in your CD rom...the SFC ..system file checker will search all of your core system files and if any are corrupted or changed it will change them back to factory....this might solve your issue.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

well root kit viruses are very few and far between...if he has ever installed a AV in the past 2 years then it will protect for the most part...new viruses are weak and kind of toyshop viruses..used by script kiddies ect. he needs to d/l sp3 ect...
    true i guess... but they are a fucking bitch to get rid off...

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    true i guess... but they are a fucking bitch to get rid off...
    i know one of my friends got one....i just gave him a new hard drive and said..there you go..your starting with a new slate....he was pissed

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i know one of my friends got one....i just gave him a new hard drive and said..there you go..your starting with a new slate....he was pissed
    my buddy used to write some nasty ones...

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Alright fellas, thanks for all the great tips but just found out the my supervisor at work it a computer geek and he says he can fix any problem with computers. He will taking a look at my computer 2morrow. I know that's the last time I download shit from myspace Mr. Shady Milkman.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Sound to me like you have told your anitvirus to quaratine everything and our block the web period. Could be a simple fix of going into the antivirus and turn the quaratine of sites off. Will take like all of 2 seconds. Okay maybe 5.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

No... he downloaded a virus, his anti-virus tried to warn him, and he ignored it, installing the virus. Virus kills IE and antivirus, game over.

I'm trying really really hard to be polite, but that was seriously stupid of you to do. You have antivirus for a reason, if it says it needs to quarantine something, do it.

*sigh* it sounds like you've got somebody else who can take care of it for you, but if he can't, I can walk you through the steps to take out a virus manually.

98' trans am

RDP in.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    No... he downloaded a virus, his anti-virus tried to warn him, and he ignored it, installing the virus. Virus kills IE and antivirus, game over.

I'm trying really really hard to be polite, but that was seriously stupid of you to do. You have antivirus for a reason, if it says it needs to quarantine something, do it.

*sigh* it sounds like you've got somebody else who can take care of it for you, but if he can't, I can walk you through the steps to take out a virus manually.
    You can set an anti-virus program to quarantine everything. Turning that setting OFF will not stop you from getting warnings about virus's and being asked to quarantine one. By having it set to everything can and will make it seem like you can not access the net.

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

By having your antivirus set to everything will not do that... having your FIREWALL set to max lockdown will kill your connection. However, its not his connection, internet explorer auto-closes the instant he tries to open it. That is a virus. Its a common virus... I would almost bet money that if he hits ctrl-alt-del his task manager would close itself too.

I've had to kill so many varitations of this virus on my family and friends computers over the years... it came out when XP did. Pain in the ASS and its always the persons fault... thats why I'm pissy about it. That, and its a total pain to get rid of.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by B34M3R View Post
    By having your antivirus set to everything will not do that... having your FIREWALL set to max lockdown will kill your connection. However, its not his connection, internet explorer auto-closes the instant he tries to open it. That is a virus. Its a common virus... I would almost bet money that if he hits ctrl-alt-del his task manager would close itself too.

I've had to kill so many varitations of this virus on my family and friends computers over the years... it came out when XP did. Pain in the ASS and its always the persons fault... thats why I'm pissy about it. That, and its a total pain to get rid of.
    Pissy about viruses.... Been in IT for about 21 years and have had to fight to many of them.. I know you can lock out with the firewall. But you can also lock it with antivirus programs.. Well at least the ones at work I deal with. But if it is a common virus your aware of then looks like you have it under control. What is the name or variant of this virus ????
    Last edited by Z28Thunder; 08-10-2008 at 08:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information