Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Recovering Data from Damaged HDs

Well, I got my computer working again, but I've run into a problem. I think when my motherboard went, it took one (of two) of my data storage HDs with it, and since they were set up on RAID, they both apparently died (the computer is seeing them, but is not able to pull data). I really need the data off of these HDs, and since they are exactly the same, I have twice the chance of getting it back. Now, I've tried using partitioning programs to recover the data, but to no avail.

Does anyone know of a professional place that can get the data off of at least one of them. I've already ordered new 1TB HDs, so the old ones can be taken apart for all I care, as long as I get the data.

Purple 95 Camaro
    Arctic White 02 T/A WS6

Try googling for the trick to 'freezing' them in your freezer and you should find some instructions and story's that it might work before you send it off to a costly recovery center. Worked once for me.

Good luck

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

What type of raid? Mirrored or striped? If they were set up as a mirroe you should break the mirror, power up the good drive, and the data should be there... If they were striped, you have other issues...

However, the key to getting the drives back up is to utilize the exact same raid setup and exact same raid software/firmware as was on your old system.

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    Does anyone know of a professional place that can get the data off of at least one of them.
    You'll end up spending $500-$1000 via a professional service to recover data. Since the drives are still spinning and the OS sees them, you can probably do it yourself.

If you give the following information, I can help you:
    1. What RAID level were the drives set up as? (basically the same question tnthub asked)

2. How was the array set up? (i.e. was it a software or hardware RAID)

3. What exactly did you do with the partitioning programs? Which programs did you use, and (most importantly) did you change anything on the drives?

red
    69 Firebird

Hi, I tried to post this last night, but for some reason, it had to be "moderator approved".

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    What type of raid? Mirrored or striped? If they were set up as a mirroe you should break the mirror, power up the good drive, and the data should be there... If they were striped, you have other issues... However, the key to getting the drives back up is to utilize the exact same raid setup and exact same raid software/firmware as was on your old system.
    What tnthub said.

Otherwise, Do a Google search on:
    data recovery services
    http://www.google.com/search?q=data+recovery+services
    Note: They are not cheap! Figure $500+++.

If your data is really important, then it's a good idea to do monthly backups and keep that drive separate.

Also, store all important daily data on an external USB/Firewire drive (~$100 for 1TB).
    Also, use usb flash drives (8G, 16G+).
    Also, use Amazon data services (you can encrypt your data with 3rd party tools).

I do all of the above. And, more! I'm a consultant and do a lot of work at home. Saying, "Sorry, I lost or accidentally erased months/years worth of work" is a great way to end up never working again. :-O

For future reference, and for others, if you use SATA drives and have at least two free 5-1/4" bays, then I suggest using swappable drive trays.
    Here's what I use:
    From newegg.com http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817121179
    KINGWIN KF-813-BK SATA Mobile Rack - Retail
    For standard 5.25" drive bay.
    Triple fans (2 front & 1 rear).
    Easy transport and secure valuable data.
    Auto push-pull handle design.
    Dust & wear resistant auto shutter.
    Direct SATA to SATA bridge connection for fastest performance.

You can buy additional trays.
    When you do a backup, you should use the backedup drive! Otherwise, you do not know if your backup is good. Regardless of what anyone tells you. Even a read/verify can work after backup, and then the disk may not work when needed (for various reasons).

NOTE: Some ***** software manufactures still have the idiotic practice of using the disk block ID for software protection. Acronis is a good example. Then again, what would anyone expect from a company that makes software that's harder to fully erase all of the remnants than just about any virus out there!

So, in cases like that. The software from that company will need to be reinstalled on the backedup disk. Needless to say, I don't use Acronis at all anymore.

I use an older DOS-based Norton backup. It always works, and it's the fastest way to back up disks. And, I can swap to my backedup disk after every backup.

Last: Rotate through your backups. I always have at least 2 backups.

So...., it all depends on what a person really means when they say "my data is very important".
    The above is for anyone that wants to know a correct/good way to do data backup for a "PC" (verses a server or rack farm).
    Last edited by NE-Firebird; 07-05-2009 at 09:21 PM.

red
    69 Firebird

I'll add that although RAID is nice, it does nothing to protect you from a virus, from accidental deleting, or from a screwed up program doing "non good things" to your files and/or OS.

A great example is the MicroSucks updates and IE7 and IE8. Forget about "restore points". You see, MicroSucks doesn't even know how to back up it's own flaky OS and critical files. <rolleyes>

I'm one of many people that tried to upgrade to IE7 after it was released, and could never get my system to work "right" again with IE6. I punted and went to a backup. I feel sorry for the people that didn't have that option.

So, RAID is nice. But, if you really need your data, do a external backup and disconnect that drive from the PC and power after your done. For weekly backups, using the Amazon data service is awesome. Note, you pay for storage, to upload, and to download. But, the rates are cheap for critical current data (often under 10 GBytes for me). And, even if a hurricane blows my house away, I still can get access to my data, and have it be only one week old. Sweet!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by NE-Firebird View Post
    Hi, I tried to post this last night, but for some reason, it had to be "moderator approved".
    sorry about that... didn't see this thread last night...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by noxside View Post
    Try googling for the trick to 'freezing' them in your freezer and you should find some instructions and story's that it might work before you send it off to a costly recovery center. Worked once for me.

Good luck
    nope..that is only for physical issues ..this is software

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

these guys are quick...follow what jcws6,and tnthub said...i personally do not run raid ..i have no need to. so i am not much help to ya

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jcws6 View Post
    You'll end up spending $500-$1000 via a professional service to recover data. Since the drives are still spinning and the OS sees them, you can probably do it yourself.

If you give the following information, I can help you:
    1. What RAID level were the drives set up as? (basically the same question tnthub asked)

2. How was the array set up? (i.e. was it a software or hardware RAID)

3. What exactly did you do with the partitioning programs? Which programs did you use, and (most importantly) did you change anything on the drives?
    This is from my friend who was involved in the building of my computer 4 years ago:

"You had hardware raid 0 using the nforce chipsets. I installed the drivers in windows which forced a resync on the drives, then couldn't get a drive letter to show up."

Is this any help?

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ls1camino View Post
    This is from my friend who was involved in the building of my computer 4 years ago:

"You had hardware raid 0 using the nforce chipsets. I installed the drivers in windows which forced a resync on the drives, then couldn't get a drive letter to show up."

Is this any help?
    The RAID you have set up is "striping" (the computer writes data across both drives, making it appear as one big drive). RAID 0 is good for increasing performance, but it's theoretically more likely to fail than a single drive. You had a "hardware" RAID controlled by the motherboard.

When you replaced the motherboard, did you replace it with the EXACT SAME model as the old one? Most hardware RAIDs use a proprietary system which can't be read by other controllers. If you replaced the motherboard with a different one, chances are the new RAID controller may not be able to read the data format your old motherboard wrote to the hard drives with.

Since you have access to a computer-savvy friend, all is not lost. Give your friend the following website, and tell him to gather all of the recommended tools: http://www.bootcd.us/BartPE_Plugin_D...or-plugin.html

Basically, he'll create a boot CD with software that will "guess" at how your previous RAID controller wrote the data to the disk. After that, you just use a recovery program (that page recommends "GetDataBack," but there are probably some free ones) to write the recovered data to another hard drive. Just bribe your buddy with beer or food to get him to help you. Good luck, man.

Thread Information