Thread: Photoshop help

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Photoshop help

I just got a copy of photoshop and i was wondering if someone could give me some pointers. How do you cut an object out of the picture without messing up the background or taking some of it? How do you select a certain color and color it with it looking right? i found how to select by color but it doesnt get all of it and when i color it there is no shading or anything like that so it doesnt look right. How do you color something and shade it to make it look like it was on there originally? I want to try different ideas for my car on the exterior.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by stephen02ws6 View Post
    I just got a copy of photoshop and i was wondering if someone could give me some pointers. How do you cut an object out of the picture without messing up the background or taking some of it? How do you select a certain color and color it with it looking right? i found how to select by color but it doesnt get all of it and when i color it there is no shading or anything like that so it doesnt look right. How do you color something and shade it to make it look like it was on there originally? I want to try different ideas for my car on the exterior.
    it's kinda something you have to learn on your own with messing around...

for example if you use the lasso tool you can copy your car but nothing else besides it...click and drag... if it gets some extra click on the "-" sign so deselect the extra crap... just screw around with it... you'll have fun...

this is something i did to mess with my sister (who wants a mini really bad)... i told her that my mom drove this home from the philly auto show... it's a very quick photoshop just to mess with my sis...

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

so do you have to free hand it or is there a way to pick it out?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

search for some ps tutorials......this one is pretty decent http://www.myjanee.com/tutorials.htm

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Go to the bookstore, get Adobe Photoshop in a Book.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Either grab a book at your local B&N or do a google search for 'photoshop tutorials'.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen02ws6 View Post
    At the bottom of your tool palatte is a circle inside a box. Double Click that to enter "the quick mask" and an option box displays. Click the radio button infront of "Selected Area" then hit "OK"

Select a paint brush size and softness. Begin to paint over your image where you want to select an object. You'll notice a colored tint appears over where you're working. Click ONCE on the "quick mask" button again to exit out and you'll get the "walking ants" line around where you've been working.

Go back into the quick mask by clicking ONCE. To subtract from your selection, invert the forground/background color on your tool palatte by clicking the little 2 sided arrow. You'll see the white jumps infront of the black. As you paint, you'll now remove selection from where you've worked. Switch back and forth, alternate your brush size and softness to get the most accurate selections.

Exit the quick mask one last time and then go to "select" > "save selection" This is optional, but recomended.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    it's kinda something you have to learn on your own with messing around...

for example if you use the lasso tool you can copy your car but nothing else besides it...click and drag... if it gets some extra click on the "-" sign so deselect the extra crap... just screw around with it... you'll have fun...

this is something i did to mess with my sister (who wants a mini really bad)... i told her that my mom drove this home from the philly auto show... it's a very quick photoshop just to mess with my sis...

Click for full size
    your mom makes me FAP

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

ok that helps some(except for the mom part haha). is there a way to fill in all of the selected areas at once? instead of filling in each one little at a time. will that quick mask way work for cutting out objects too? ive been playing with it and starting to catch on somewhat just still not good at all.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

use the paint bucket to fill a mass area while in quick mask.

yes, once it's selected, you can delete it/copy it to a new layer, alter the colors on it.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Thread Information