Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

optimize dd-wrt firmware

I just bought a linksys router with dd-wrt firmware. I did a search but didnt find exactly what I was looking for. Whats the best way to optimize my router?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

What are you looking to do?

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Its got more settings than I know what to do with. I looking to optimize my setting so I get better downloads.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

What did you originally download DD-WRT for, and what version is it?

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

I bought it already installed on a router. He installed a heatsink in there so I could overclock it. I think its rc-2 version.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

What are you trying to do, in detail please...?

What are you trying to speed up? Downloads, uploads, large transfers, small transfers... If you access the cable modem without the router I assume your connection speeds up...? Are you using Vista and having an issue with large packets?

It seems you are asking for specific help without providing details.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Hmm in detail. When I go into router setting s there are lot more settings than the typical firmware. I didnt know if I could any of the setting to make my downloads faster?
    I am using win xp sp3.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Rule number one is if you do not fully understand the relationship between settings, do not change them.

The odds are router settings you do not understand are not going to significantly change your download efficiency. The actual speed of your internet service is far slower than the router or internal network. Your cable/dsl modem is what controls the speed of your downloads/uploads unless something is actually misconfigured elsewhere on your internal network.

There are all type of little tweaks for XP but over the years I have found the majority of them are specific to a particular download site where matched parameters make things faster or involve file compression.

If you try anything with your router, make sure you have a full backup of the firmware and its settings before you change anything so if something goes wrong you can put it back the way it is.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Thanks , I gues Ill leave it the way it was. Only thing I reallly did is adjust the transmit power for the ant. and overclocked the processor a little.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by tnthub View Post
    Rule number one is if you do not fully understand the relationship between settings, do not change them.

The odds are router settings you do not understand are not going to significantly change your download efficiency. The actual speed of your internet service is far slower than the router or internal network. Your cable/dsl modem is what controls the speed of your downloads/uploads unless something is actually misconfigured elsewhere on your internal network.

There are all type of little tweaks for XP but over the years I have found the majority of them are specific to a particular download site where matched parameters make things faster or involve file compression.

If you try anything with your router, make sure you have a full backup of the firmware and its settings before you change anything so if something goes wrong you can put it back the way it is.
    Yes to everything, with emphasis on the first sentence.

Thread Information