On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Looking at used laptops

Cheap of course. Basically homework is the priority, but we all know how that can go. I am computer illiterate so looking at all these different names doesn't mean much to me. Any brands models to stay away from? Any in particular recommended?
    Ones I looked at
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/2174914250.html
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/2171216350.html
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/sys/2169279369.html
    http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/sys/2166026988.html
    thanks again folks.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I've bought 2 used laptops through this company and had a good experience both times. Might be worth looking at.....less chance of getting shot in the face versus craigslist. They update the list almost daily so the laptops come and go pretty quickly but they always have a bunch to choose from in different price ranges.

http://www.intechraoutlet.com/home/

red
    69 Firebird

1) Buy Dell!
    There's a reason why they are THE supplier to businesses. Also, you'll be able to get anything cheaply for a Dell.

2) Buy a PC with MS Office already installed! You want the real MS Office, not the temp version.

3) If you can buy local that's good. But, be careful that you have a *valid* Windows and Office copy.

4) IMHO, it's very time consuming, but buying from an established seller with e good rep and warranty from ebay is one of the safest ways. I've done that. But, as I said, it's very time consuming!

5) What exactly do you want to use it for? You can use open office instead of MSOfiice. But, on a sub $400 laptop, it will likely be very slow.

6) try to get a disk with at least 40GB. However, 40GB is pushing it for having enough space for the basics (MS office, photo editor). A 100GB disk should be good for a while. You can always use a flash drive for more storage. But, that's slow.

7) get one with at least 512MB of ram. Windows XP will run with 256MB, but it will crawl. And, many antivirus programs, browsers, etc will quickly eat up more than 256MB of ram.

8) Do not worry about getting one with antivirus. Microsoft offers a *free* antivirus program that get top rating.

9) Try to get one with at least 2 USB ports. The more the better. You can use a USB hub. But, that's another add-on.

10) For $300, I'd suggest at least looking at a new netbook (last years models on discount). It's great for school and easy to carry. However, a 15" to 17" notebook does have the advantage of a bigger screen and faster CPU.

If you can, post up the links or ideas.

11) With printers, you get screwed BIG TIME on the cost of the ink! Buy a printer on how much ink it uses, NOT how much it costs! ALL printers come with "intro" ink cartridges. So, you quickly have to go out to buy new/full_price cartridges. That can easily cost MORE than the printer itself!

I like the Cannon printers that can do *duplex printing*. The ink costs are decent, and the printers work fine.

red
    69 Firebird

Also, IMHO, ONLY get a laptop that already has Windows *installed along with a valid Windows COA ( http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+coa ) *!

You can NOT buy XP anymore from Microsoft.
    So, ALL copies that you can "buy" are VERY questionable at best!
    And, forget about being able to run Windows7 on an older laptop. You will not be able to get the needed drivers.

The software alone for WinXP, Vista, Win7, etc all cost ~$100 to $200 for the OS from Microsoft.
    Last edited by NE-Firebird; 01-24-2011 at 10:13 PM.

red
    69 Firebird

Also , with ANY older laptop, the condition of the battery will be an issue. Batteries loose their ability to store energy over time. So, you may end up with a battery that can operate the laptop for ~15mins. That may not be much of an issue if you'll always use it at home, or next to an AC outlet.

red
    69 Firebird

See if this search link works:

http://computers.shop.ebay.com/PC-La....c0.m282&gbr=1

What the above link should search for:
    Keyword: dell laptop
    In: Laptop PCs
    Type: Laptop/Notebook
    Memory (RAM): 512 MB or more
    Processor Speed (per Core): 500 MHz or more
    Hard Drive Capacity: 25 GB or more
    Operating System: Windows XP
    Buy It Now

red
    69 Firebird

For example, from experienced sellers with good feedback, for $200 or less (incl S&H).

Dell D610 Latitude Laptop
    Intel Pentium M - 1.8GHz Processor
    Windows XP Home installed with COA
    1GB RAM
    14" Display
    80GB Drive.
    Ports: 4 USB, Ethernet, vga out, 1 PCMCIA slot
    DVD/CDRW drive included.
    Internal Wifi Card installed.
    Battery & AC Adapter

Note: I do NOT endorse ANY ebay seller. I picked the above specs as an example of what I would look for and consider. ALWAYS check the feedback and how long a seller has been *selling* (not just buying stuff).

BTW, I'm not sure of the forum rules on posting a link to an active ebay auction. My guess is that that is NOT allowed. So, post the specs and price for a laptop that you're looking at on ebay.

Also, I suggest looking at the "buy it now" laptops. Buy It Now is often used by sellers looking to make a base profit on an item.

Good Luck!

red
    69 Firebird

Some Dell laptops to consider (from a quick ebay search):

In no particular order at all:

D800
    D600
    D810
    D420
    D620
    D610
    D640
    D400

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

kinda reminds me of nhra firebird seems alot alike!!

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

What Orion said.

Unless for dirt cheap >$100

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

FYI, open office is EVERY bit as good as MS office. i would not waste money on office for a home/school computer!

openoffice.org

a dell d620 with a dual core cpu, ~1gb of ram, 40gb hard drive is a good cheap laptop for ~$200. i have one myself with a docking station at home just to play around with.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Thank you for the links and info guys. I do like the idea of buying a used one from a reputable seller rather than cl it was just the only place I could think of.

As for what I will be doing, typing, internet searches, Spaced repetition system (program that is an electronic flashcard that will space the intervals between words curved toward the individuals learning). I want wireless internet but anything that might require more power I just use this computer.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by NE-Firebird View Post
    Also, IMHO, ONLY get a laptop that already has Windows *installed along with a valid Windows COA ( http://www.google.com/search?q=windows+coa ) *!

You can NOT buy XP anymore from Microsoft.
    So, ALL copies that you can "buy" are VERY questionable at best!
    And, forget about being able to run Windows7 on an older laptop. You will not be able to get the needed drivers.

The software alone for WinXP, Vista, Win7, etc all cost ~$100 to $200 for the OS from Microsoft.
    I agree with most of what you said except this post....I would NEVER buy a used computer that someone has already installed an OS on. Don't know what else is on there. Who doesn't have 3-4 versions of windows laying around? I have them going all the way back to 3.1.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    I agree with most of what you said except this post....I would NEVER buy a used computer that someone has already installed an OS on. Don't know what else is on there. Who doesn't have 3-4 versions of windows laying around? I have them going all the way back to 3.1.
    I'd wipe the partition, create a new one and install my own OS as soon as I got it. Only way I wouldn't is if the computer is brand new.

Actually, this is something I do every year to keep things running smooth.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

dell is overpriced...

go to newegg or tiger direct and buy a new laptop cheap...

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    dell is overpriced...

I agree with both, so 2(100x)

red
    69 Firebird

As much as it pains me, here are the used laptops that I'd suggest that people which are on a tight budget to strongly consider:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...499.99|&Sort=4

Note: TigerDirect SUCKS! ( They bought the compusa domain name when they went bankrupt). IMHO, *I* will GLADLY spend $100++ to buy something from someone else. But, that choice is a luxury that I have (I'm not a struggling student, and I live within my means).

My complaint with that ******ED UP company goes way back 5-10 years ago. MASSIVE INCOMPETENCE was rampant in their shipping department - ALL the way up to the top MORON in charge.

I'm a Principal Engineer consultant (aka paid WHORE ). My hourly rates are not cheap. I have better things to do than to waste my time with a ******ED company like tigerdirect to try to get _anything_ resolved.

They may have become better. BFD! I buy from Newegg, provantage, and Amazon now. They all have great prices and good customer service.
    Last edited by NE-Firebird; 01-29-2011 at 07:07 AM.

red
    69 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    My guess is that the OP is a student and does not have old versions laying around that are not being used.

Also, for PCs like Dell, they often require a very specific CD/DVD to be able to use the Dell OEM Windows serial number. And, trying to get those CDs from Dell can be impossible for older PCs (I know).

For large OEMs/companies, they'll their own serial numbers and require customized Windows installer CDs/DVD to recognize the serial number.

A person can install a *RETAIL* version of Windows on a Dell PC. But, that serial number can't be in use, and the person will likely have to call/email Microsoft to get a valid install. Microsoft will do that ~~3 times for a different PC installs of a *RETAIL* version of Windows. Note: There is *not* anything written about how many times the license can be transferred to a different PC/hardware/motherboard.

Note: Many people buy the *OEM* version of Windows (from Amazon, Newegg, etc) because it's cheaper. For an OEM version, that serial number is good for one and only one PC - period. It can NOT be transferred.

There are actually many many license arrangements for Windows. I described just some of the most common above. And, Microsoft can/will do exceptions (both in favor and against people) for various reasons.

BTW: I still have 3, in the box, never used versions of XP. I now have approx dozen licenses for Windows 7. All bought through Microsoft (mainly), Newegg, and Amazon. I got Windows 7 for 1/2 price ~6 months before the release. So, I bought a number of licenses then (new & upgrade, all Professional version). And, I picked up a few of the family pack upgrade deals (3 licenses for ~$125).
    Last edited by NE-Firebird; 01-29-2011 at 07:04 AM.

red
    69 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    dell is overpriced...
    My preference is also newegg! But, I checked their laptop prices. Even their referbs where ~$400. That's a huge difference for the ~$100-$200 price range that a student may be looking for.

It also depends on the use/age of the student. For a student in high school, I'd suggest a cheaper laptop now, and then get a better laptop when they got to college. Most high school students won't need much horse power or storage for a laptop. And, the same is true for many college students.

But, many college degrees now require some use of some profession-specific software on a PC. Many of those programs will need at least a current mid-range laptop to be usable.

Good Luck to the original poster!
    As common with me, I'm swamped with works to do. Yes, even during the weekend. I do work at home for my second contract on the weekends. Yea, it can be a hassle. But, as long as I'm working (and getting paid ), I don't complain (too much ).
    Last edited by NE-Firebird; 01-29-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Thread Information