98 Formula
    06 duramax

issue with a dvd....

I burn all of our digital pics to dvd's about every 6 months. I'm trying to look at the last one I burned but something is funky with it. When I open it there are no files there...if I right click and look at properties it says there's 1 file there that's 4 gigs but it's not showing up. If I right click on the drive and check properties it says there's nothing there.... 0 kb. Can't figure out what's going on with it or how to view the files and there should be more than 1 there because I burned 6 months worth of folders over to it. Any ideas on how to get to the pics? I tried making an image of it and burning that again just to see what would happen and nothing changed.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I was wrong..... it says 4 kb and not 4 gb. The disc looks like it's almost full though. I seriously screwed something up and hope I didn't lose 6 months worth of pics. That's the huge downfall to digital pictures....easy to lose a huge chunk of them.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

after you burned the pictures did you close the dvd or leave it open so that you can put more on it???

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it was closed. The dvd physically has stuff on it....I just can't get to it. I tried looking at it with ultra iso and nothing. Not sure wtf is going on.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    it was closed. The dvd physically has stuff on it....I just can't get to it. I tried looking at it with ultra iso and nothing. Not sure wtf is going on.
    i have this happen to me every once in a while... i've burned songs that i record on to a CD and for some reason the CD player won't recognise the format or something...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i have this happen to me every once in a while... i've burned songs that i record on to a CD and for some reason the CD player won't recognise the format or something...
    I wish this were just a song. This is like 6 months worth of pics of my kids and stuff. I'm doing a deep scan with nero rescue agent to see if it can find anything on there but at this point I'm feeling that I'm screwed. Not sure what I did wrong on the burn as I've done this a ton of times before and never had an issue. I have stacks of picture dvd's that I've made and not once have I ran into this issue.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I wish this were just a song. This is like 6 months worth of pics of my kids and stuff. I'm doing a deep scan with nero rescue agent to see if it can find anything on there but at this point I'm feeling that I'm screwed. Not sure what I did wrong on the burn as I've done this a ton of times before and never had an issue. I have stacks of picture dvd's that I've made and not once have I ran into this issue.
    oh... it's not just a song when you've spent hundreds of hours to finish it...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    oh... it's not just a song when you've spent hundreds of hours to finish it...

i took my one CD to a computer fixer guy... he did get the sonf off the CD and burnt it to a new one for me...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

well, the deep scan helped. It didn't recover all the files but it got most of them. It said the ones it couldn't recover were corrupt so I'm still not sure what happened there.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

well, the deep scan helped. It didn't recover all the files but it got most of them. It said the ones it couldn't recover were corrupt so I'm still not sure what happened there.
    when i had my problems it would give me "unreconisable format" even though it was the same shit i always use... probably just a bad disk...

red
    69 Firebird

Sorry to here about the DVD problem.

As mentioned, your best bet is to try a disk recovery program on the DVD,

The truth is that DVDs are a bad idea for backup. All recordable DVDs have "DVD rot". Plus, the storage conditions, the way/speed the DVD was burned, the exact minor differences in that specific DVD, etc all come into play.

Yes, some DVDs may last 50-100 years. However, as you've seen, some may have bit errors within a year. However, with movies and pictures, a few bit errors (that aren't correctable) often never go noticed!

In your case, it seems that the bit errors may have occurred in the "File Table". So, it's likely that all of the other data is "mostly" good. And, a disk recovery program can hopefully get back most/all of the data.

I've said before, that for any critical super important data, that should be backed up with a service like Amazon AWS (http://aws.amazon.com/s3/). You can get many free tools and Firefox and IE addons. I personally use the pay service/program Jungle Disk.

BTW: Those POS backup services are often just that. For example, Carbonite just announced that they got $20 million in new funding.

Yea, do you really trust your that you'll be able to access your critical super important data in 10 years to a company that brags that it got $20 million in new funding?

FWIW: The Amazon AWS division likely goes through well over $20 million per month in just electricity bills.

From: http://www.boston.com/business/ticke...ite_annou.html
    Carbonite announces $20 million in new funding
    January 8, 2010 12:17 PM
    Carbonite, a Boston-based provider of online backup services, said that it has closed a mezzanine round of funding that provides about $20 million of new capital for the company to use to support product innovation and international expansion.
    The new capital brings the total financing raised by Carbonite to $67 million, the company said.

Otherwise, you may want to consider a NAS drive that has a RAID feature and use that for photo and movie backup. Today, for ~$300, you can get the raid box, and two 1TB drives. IMHO, use only Hitachi or Fujitsu drives.

It all depends on just how valuable your data is. In my case, I do design consulting work at home. I get paid a decent amount. What do you think that the impact to Sony would be if their latest PlayStation was delayed by a year because some consultant didn't do proper backups? Like I said, it all depends on just how valuable your data is.

Note: Amazon would start to get expensive (for personal use) for storing a lot of data (100+ GB) ("In the US Standard Region, $0.150 per GB for storage for the first 50 TB"). So, for personal use, you may want to store your best/most important stuff on Amazon AWS, and then use a NAS RAID for the rest. For me, I have ~20GB of personal stuff stored on Amazon AWS. I have the rest backed up on multiple NAS RAID systems.
    Last edited by NE-Firebird; 01-09-2010 at 02:11 PM.

red
    69 Firebird

BTW:
    Here's the free Amazon AWS S3 add-on for Firefox:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3247

I have a number of friends that use that add-on.

As I said, I use Jungle Disk. For me, the slight added cost is worth it.
    http://www.jungledisk.com/

98 Formula
    06 duramax

do you work for amazon or something?

red
    69 Firebird

do you work for amazon or something?
    Far from it!
    People can't buy the most of the stuff that I work on now.

Many years ago, I started doing disk interfaces, and have a number of friends that worked for EMC (biggest backup/storage maker). And, over the past many years, I've had MANY friends that have lost data/disk and then come running crying to me to:
    HELP THEM NOW!!!
    Uhm, do full disk backups. It'll cost under $150 for an external disk and Norton.

Mozy, and Carbonite are good ideas. But, I've tried both and *I* think they suck compared to Amazon and Jungle Disk.

You see how cheap it to do VERY SAFE backup on Amazon. So, if a hurricane, flood, fire, power spike, or theft hits a person's PC, IMHO, there is NO REASON AT ALL to bitch and whine about loosing "very important irreplaceable data".

Most "regular" people don't about Amazon's AWS S3 service because Amazon's service is geared toward the professional. Amazon has zero desire to try to teach people how to "copy a file from one place to another".

Before Amazon's AWS, people would be lucky to get something even half as good for $10K+/year! What I, and others did, was to buy "web server/site" space with companies that did backups to offsite locations. Note that is still an option for people!

However, for people like me, there's a huge difference between having a web host do backup to offsite and having my important data with a REAL storage/server company.

Like I said, if I loose my consultant data, we are not taking about the loss of "just a few 10's of millions of dollars of profit".

So, if your career and reputation where also dependent on you never loosing data, what would you do? As a Principal Engineer, I've been making over six figures a year for many years. If people want to *risk* their data by doing backup in some way, then that is their choice!

I tell people how professionals that are knowledgeable and experienced in the area of storage and backup do things. Although I now often worry more about how reliable flash memory really is, I still keep track of the latest on disks, DVDs, CDs, etc for a number of reasons.

Also, I have photos of my parents and former dog that I want to keep. No amount of money on this earth will allow me to get any more pictures of them.

I've given a number of options for people to do backup. It's up to each person to chose for themselves. I tell people what *I* do. But, my needs and desires are not the same as others.

BTW: If people are wondering, my consultant data is backed up over 6+ disks(and flash). And, it's in at least 4 different physical locations (my house, company's secure server, and Amazon AWS(x2)). When I backup to Amazon AWS, it's heavily encrypted many times. I've been doing engineering since "mammoths roamed the earth" and I've never lost more than a day's worth of work. That's one reason (of many) why I'm still able to stay in engineering even after the huge layoffs and cutbacks over the years.
    Last edited by NE-Firebird; 01-10-2010 at 11:32 AM.

Thread Information