"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Intel or amd pros

Ok guys I'm looking at putting my own desk top together and would like to know witch processors is the better way to go some buddy's I have like the intel but looking at the specs I can get a better deal with the amd so what do you guys run and like

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Intel by far. AMD has really fallen behind. The I5 or I7 lines are great from Intel and blow AMD out of the water.

Now if your building a machine just for surfing the net and some basic programs for the most part then its your choice.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

red
    69 Firebird

Look at AnandTech .

IMHO, nothing comes close to the latest i7. AMD sells on cost, lower power, and their slightly better imbedded (POS) graphics co-processor. LMAO. I can get an ~$20 add-on NVIDIA card that runs CUDA and kicks the *ss of both graphics co-processors. BUT, the Intel graphics co-processors has the ability to run some code locally that would be faster than even a high-end graphics card. I never got that to work, and I didn't see much use for it. Maybe when I switch over my system to Win8, I'll try again.

Also, get an all-in-one water cooler. Go with CORSAIR (e.g. Hydro Series H80 (CWCH80)) or else! I warned you about using any of the other POS all-in-one water coolers (that have a tendency to leak and ********* up your motherboard, disk, floor, house, etc).

These CPUs dump a lot of heat under full load. Dumping that CPU heat inside the case, along with the heat from the memory and disks is not smart. The all-in-one water coolers dump that ~100+ watts of heat from the CPU directly outside the case.
    Think of an 100watt (regular) bulb inside the case. Not good for keeping things cool.

If you want, get an i5 now, and upgrade to an i7 later.

Also, if you want to run a virtual machine (requires a separate full Microsoft license), then you want the 3700 and not the 3700K. In general, the "unlocked" multiplier CPUs do not support "Intel VT-d" (VT-d represents Intel's technology for virtualization on the x86 platform).

I run a virtual machine because of my locked software from XP. I have over $10K of locked professional software that I use for consulting (some I own, other are property of companies I consult for). Many times, it's not possible to get a new license. At least two of the software packages that I use can not be upgraded because the "companies" are no longer in business (merged and no longer offer that software or support). But, I support products that still use that software, and it wouldn't be a trivial or cheap task to upgrade. Why should a business spend $50K++ to upgrade to newer software if it's not really required? Better places to make use of that money.

Good Luck!

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

In a nutshell, the best AMD CPU is slightly better than the best Intel I5 CPU.

The I7 CPU is in a different league and AMD has no player there.

AMD sells on cost, cost, cost. The best AMD CPU still costs less than the best Intel I5.

If you want performance, I7 is the only game in town.

If you want to save a few bucks, you could be happy with a higher end AMD.

CPU Comparison Chart

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

http://www.cpubenchmark.net there ya go buddy, shows the benchmarks of top processors and ballparks the price. Everyone else's advice is great.
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by NE-Firebird View Post
    Also, if you want to run a virtual machine (requires a separate full Microsoft license), then you want the 3700 and not the 3700K. In general, the "unlocked" multiplier CPUs do not support "Intel VT-d" (VT-d represents Intel's technology for virtualization on the x86 platform).
    Where did you hear this? K-series CPUs do support virtualization (they all contain the VT-x extension, the non-E models also support the VT-d extension). My primary workstation runs Solaris and a proprietary QNX build in VMware, on an i7 3960x. That's a K-series chip (has the X instead of the K because it's supposed to be "extreme"). I have three more workstations at my office that run XP in the win 7 hypervisor on an i7 3930k.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

ok thanks for the info guys ill start looking more at the intel stuff now.I just know that there is no way im going to speend 1k on some thing like the 3970x. but im liking the look of the 3960x what do you guys think of some thing like this one? i hoping to do all my normal web stuff with it maybe a few games and a start up home business with it

2010 Tahoe Z71
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by 0verkill View Post
    ok thanks for the info guys ill start looking more at the intel stuff now.I just know that there is no way im going to speend 1k on some thing like the 3970x. but im liking the look of the 3960x what do you guys think of some thing like this one? i hoping to do all my normal web stuff with it maybe a few games and a start up home business with it
    As an owner of a 3960x, I do not recommend it. It's not worth the money. The 3930k is 95% the chip for 50% the cost. If I were to do it over (and had to actually pay for the chip), I would go with the 3930k.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

ok thats good to know but its still a bit pricy next to most of there line i found it for $500 but most run around $200 but ill look at it more i just what the most out of my coin know what i mean

red
    69 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Blakbird24 View Post
    Where did you hear this? K-series CPUs do support virtualization (they all contain the VT-x extension, the non-E models also support the VT-d extension). My primary workstation runs Solaris and a proprietary QNX build in VMware, on an i7 3960x. That's a K-series chip (has the X instead of the K because it's supposed to be "extreme"). I have three more workstations at my office that run XP in the win 7 hypervisor on an i7 3930k.
    There's "visualization" and then there's "visualization".
    VMWare is a businesses that sells VM-software. They have some very cool stuff!
    With VMWare and a non-K Intel chip, you can have your WinXP running under VMWare access and control a PCIe device. VERY COOL!! And, needed when old software/hardware has to be used until the new software, hardware, drivers are all done and reliable.
    BTW, VMWare is very expensive - well past the cost for a home or even most small businesses.
    VMWare also has a ton of support for VMs at many different levels.

Microsoft also has various support for VM (machines) on various Intel CPUs. By history, Microsoft keeps requiring more advanced latest hardware features to run their software. Try to run Vista or Win7 on an Intel CPU that doesn't support page-execution bit in the MMU (NX-bit : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NX_bit).

Microsoft has been changing their VM support a lot. IMHO, HyperV is likely as good, or better, than VMWare for most of the people that use VMWare. However, VMWare has better support - very important for a business IT Department.

Client Hyper-V

So, yes, you can run a VM on an Intel "K" series. And, I'm pretty sure HyperV also runs.

But, Microsoft is already alpha testing the next version of their OS. The only thing that seems likely is that it will not be called Win9. So, what will the latest Microsoft VM software in the next few years require? Hard to say.

So, I say get a non-K Intel device to prevent future obsolescent. Like the 2 Dell PCs running XP that I had to throw out because they can't take a CPU with the NX-bit, and support for XP is ending soon. Heck, they were power hogs anyway compares the the newest stuff. But, they were free, and worked great for what I used them for.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of overclocking. It stresses the whole motherboard because of heat/etc. Today, many software programs lock to a motherboard MAC address. Forget about being 100% safe with disabling the MAC and putting in an Ethernet card that (even one that has a programmable MAC address).

For many people, their software costs are not trivial. And, many companies are not very helpful if you want to switch motherboards/PC. Add in that many software companies cease to exist, and/or get bought, and you end up with software that is often locked to specific PCs. I'm in that situation with a few software programs. I have a PC that I no longer use unless it's for some specific, no longer supported, software. I'm sure that if someone offers the company that I part-time consult for $200K+ to transfer the software to a new compiler, they would be happy to take the money! Otherwise, the existing compiler works great! And, we have licenses on 3 machines. Maybe in 3-5+ years, when the next major product comes out, we'll switch.

Hope that clear up some stuff.

Thread Information