Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

IT Experts Enter!!!

So I'm using my old ass desktop for internet since I managed to download a virus. Need help deleting this motherfucker...

It is the 2011 XP Anti-Virus trojan.

I cannot access the internet at all. I cannot run .exe files so that means I cannot run Malware to remove it.

I've tried booting up in safe mode, the virus still runs.

Any suggestions??

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Try reinstalling Windows.

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    So I'm using my old ass desktop for internet since I managed to download a virus. Need help deleting this motherfucker...

It is the 2011 XP Anti-Virus trojan.

I cannot access the internet at all. I cannot run .exe files so that means I cannot run Malware to remove it.

I've tried booting up in safe mode, the virus still runs.

Any suggestions??
    use a mac to retrieve personal data off the hard drive externally and run a virus scan on the files before putting them on computer again. format the computer after retrieving files with a full format, not fast. since it starts even in safe mode, not too much you can do.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I understand the virus runs in safe mode. Do you not get to a prompt that would let you run an app?? You may need to got into recovery counsel. This should already be on your HD. If not you will need a copy of XP with the same SP you have. Once in recovery mode run fixboot and fixmbr. Then go back into safe mode and fix the issue. Another way to fix it is find a cheap external HDD case that plugs in usb. Take the HD out of your PC and plug it into another. Then run the scan on your HD from that machine. Below is one fix I googled for it.

http://www.precisesecurity.com/rogue...ti-virus-2011/

white
    94 camaro z28

Quote Originally Posted by Z28Thunder View Post
    I understand the virus runs in safe mode. Do you not get to a prompt that would let you run an app?? You may need to got into recovery counsel. This should already be on your HD. If not you will need a copy of XP with the same SP you have. Once in recovery mode run fixboot and fixmbr. Then go back into safe mode and fix the issue. Another way to fix it is find a cheap external HDD case that plugs in usb. Take the HD out of your PC and plug it into another. Then run the scan on your HD from that machine. Below is one fix I googled for it.

http://www.precisesecurity.com/rogue...ti-virus-2011/
    if someone is asking how to deal with it on a car forum chances are they won't be very comfortable in a windows recovery console.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    if someone is asking how to deal with it on a car forum chances are they won't be very comfortable in a windows recovery console.
    He asked for help and got several options. The virus does not require a rebuild of windows. Not that a rebuild is not a bad idea. Just stating it can be fixed. Heck if you read the link all you need to do is use Task Manager to end the process. Then clean the drive. He asked for help just trying..

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I can end the app using Task Manager, but it restarts...

And correct, I've never edited a registry before or anything of that nature.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I managed to get Avast to run, but I don't know if that will detect the virus or not...scanning now.

I also e-mailed myself STOPzilla and downloaded it. Odd, but I can access my work e-mail, but not Google or other sites b/c of the virus.

I'm trying to get STOPzilla to run now. Doesn't look promising.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I was on that site. I didn't feel comfortable trying to use the "manual delete" option. Seems to be the only way to remove this thing though.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I can end the app using Task Manager, but it restarts...

And correct, I've never edited a registry before or anything of that nature.
    The recovery console is not editing the registry.. But the link does mention edits you need to make with the registry.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

I was on that site. I didn't feel comfortable trying to use the "manual delete" option. Seems to be the only way to remove this thing though.
    Sometimes manual delete is the only way to get rid of one. If you do not feel comfortable find a nerd or geek friend. I bet they might help out.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

The recovery console is not editing the registry.. But the link does mention edits you need to make with the registry.
    OK - going to look at that site again about the recovery console.

Just read this threat is a 8/10...FML.

Don't I need to know the name of the file to stop it??? It keeps changing every time I restart the computer.

One time it was called "dif.exe", another time "2011 XP Anti-virus".

From site: Get rid of XP Anti-Virus 2011 start-up entry by going to Start > Run, type msconfig on the “Open” dialog box. A windows containing System Configuration Utility will be launched. Go to Startup tab and uncheck the following Start-up item(s):
    (random characters).exe

I don't know (random characters).exe

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Try combofix.

I've had it successfully remove a rootkit that Avast and MBAM couldn't budge.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...virus/combofix

Another thing you may be able to do is download a live Linux like Puppy and boot from the Linux CD, then mount your Windows drive and run the Clam AV on it.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

OK - going to look at that site again about the recovery console.

Just read this threat is a 8/10...FML.

Don't I need to know the name of the file to stop it??? It keeps changing every time I restart the computer.

One time it was called "dif.exe", another time "2011 XP Anti-virus".

From site: Get rid of XP Anti-Virus 2011 start-up entry by going to Start > Run, type msconfig on the “Open” dialog box. A windows containing System Configuration Utility will be launched. Go to Startup tab and uncheck the following Start-up item(s):
    (random characters).exe

I don't know (random characters).exe

The site did not mention recovery console. I did as a way to stop it from doing it at start up. Again I might suggest a Tech friend help you out if your not comfortable with the tools and registry edits.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    Try combofix.

I've had it successfully remove a rootkit that Avast and MBAM couldn't budge.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/down...virus/combofix

That is a good tool as well. But you will have to rename it from combofix. Many rootkits know about combofix.

white
    94 camaro z28

IF I get a problem like this at work I just use a mac to recover files, scan them, then rebuild the system. takes 2-3 hours instead of.... whatever it takes to deal with it. 9/10 it's faster to just rebuild.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I cannot download anything on the infected computer from a website. I can't access the internet on it at all, not even booting up in safe mode with networking.

I tried renaming my current spam removal tools...they still will not run.

I am in the system config utility now and under the start-up tab...

Looking for the exe file that starts up. I don't see anything though really. There are about 20 files that start-up, none of which look like a virus to me.

And as I type this, STOPzilla just started scanning finally. My computer is running EXTREMELY slow though. Guessing this is because the virus is running in the background.

Arctic White
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31 View Post
    IF I get a problem like this at work I just use a mac to recover files, scan them, then rebuild the system. takes 2-3 hours instead of.... whatever it takes to deal with it. 9/10 it's faster to just rebuild.
    I agree sometimes it is faster to just rebuild. But I fix issues like this daily for users. With the right tools it might take 20 or 30 minutes to fix it. If I get close to an hour then yes it is rebuild time. We have a default image at work and to install off a thumb drive takes about 6 minutes.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Clean install, then better virus protection..

Main reason I got rid of Xp was because of it's huge number of internet vulnerabilities and massive amounts of updates it required after reboot..

Get a WIN7 PRO (64bit) powered comp..

I do a clean boot every 30-60 days..

white
    94 camaro z28

I agree sometimes it is faster to just rebuild. But I fix issues like this daily for users. With the right tools it might take 20 or 30 minutes to fix it. If I get close to an hour then yes it is rebuild time. We have a default image at work and to install off a thumb drive takes about 6 minutes.
    for our main client we have an image we use. For external clients that hold on to every penny would rather have a certain bill for 2-3 hours rather than chancing it for a 1-6 hour bill. Just how my job works though. Small businesses seem to hold their wallets very close when it comes to computer work.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information