Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

computer help please.

I have 2 land computers , I moved the 2nd one to my basement and it will not connect now. I am on a cable modem thats a 4 port, 1 PS3, Blue Ray DVD, and the 3rd connected to my router in the basement thats a 5 port for another Blue Ray, PS3. I am thinking I just have the cables in the wrong ports.

blue
    1999 TransAm

yes, first check to see if you have the connection from router 1 to router 2 in the right "ports"...

i've found w/ these consumer-grade networking devices,.. sometimes you change how things are configured, you end up having to cycle the power on them.. try this in this sequence:

power off the satellite router (basement?), power off main router (upstairs?), power off modem.. wait 2 mins.

then, ...power up modem, wait until it gets to it's ready state, power up main router, see if upstairs computer connects, ...then power up satellite router (downstairs), see if it connects...

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

ok thanks I will try it

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

It did not work, does it matter which port the 2nd computer is in on the main router, right now the 2nd router is in the wan, and then its hooked into the 2nd port of the main computer

blue
    1999 TransAm

yeah i think that's right... though i'm assuming you have a combo modem/router device.. do you have firewall s/w running on the 2nd computer?.. also, is it the internet you can't connect to, or are your trying to get both computers to communicate (file share)?

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

yes I have a firewall, and yes Im just trying to connect it to the net. it says theat the DNS look up has failed, and to go to the wrench than hit options and then under the hood, im lost......

blue
    1999 TransAm

can you turn the firewall to "off", at least temporarily... then if it works, you'll know, where to focus on....

also, can you describe what your configuration is: i.e. what modem, what routers, ...

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

ok im not really good at all this this is what i found windows defender, install shield, windows secruity. The main router is a smc, and the basement router is a dynex 10/100m. Thanks....

blue
    1999 TransAm

do you know the model numbers...? ...do you have internet working on the upstairs computer?.. what ports are on the "main router", ...what is connected to which port? ...ditto for downstairs router...

... i'm asking these questions because usually you use process of elimination to figure out the culpret... the first step is to know the configuration you have set up...

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

upstairs computer works, the upstairs router is a smc network ,modelsmc8014w-g. The main line into it is the Cable then the first port goes to the upstairs computer, the 2nd goes to the router in the basement, the 3rd on goes to my ps3 upstairs , and the 4th one goes to the upstairs computer also.
    Here is the basement dynex 10\100m router first port (wan) is where it connects to the upstairs router, then there is a empty port, so 3rd port from the basement router goes to the basement computer,4th port is my blue ray in the basement, 5th port is to my ps3 in basement.

blue
    1999 TransAm

ok, thanks,

have you tried a simple "ping"? you are on windows computers? open a command prompt window and type "ping 192.168.1.1" (don't repeat the quotation marks) ... try this from the downstairs computer, see if you get any results, or it it just "times out" in four attempts..

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

ok how do i do that.....thanks

blue
    1999 TransAm

ok, nevermind that... can you do the following?:

1. go downstairs..
    2. unplug the cable going into the WAN? port of the dynex. (this should be the cable running from upstairs to downstairs..
    3. unplug the cable you have running from the dynex to the computer.
    4. now, take the end of the cable (that used to be in the WAN port on the dynex), ..and plug into the computer
    5. see if your computer attemps connection to the network, ..then try opening a web browser, see if you have internet now..

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

ok now it says it cant connect to the internet, I ll check back tonight I have to go to work..... Thanks

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by screamin chicken View Post
    ok now it says it cant connect to the internet, I ll check back tonight I have to go to work..... Thanks
    reset the IP address...

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

ok when I get home tonight ill try thanks

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

You have two routers. You need to configure them to work together or just use a cheap switch in the basement which will be much easier.

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

Ok what do you mean by use a switch. I had both working and we moved the upstairs one (main) and now the basement wont connect. I turn the basement one off for about an hr, I even have reset the IP, and I still get the DNS message , also when I try to connect it says sending request then it say the DNS failed.
    the upstairs one did the same thing before so it seems that it has reversed.

blue
    1999 TransAm

actually i think what the OP has is the following setup:

upstairs:
    - modem/router "gateway"
    - main computer (direct connection to gateway/router, internet works ok)

downstairs:
    - switch (i.e. not a "router")
    - alternate computer (direct connection to upstairs gateway/router, but internet doesn't work)...

OP, i don't think you can pass through an internet connection through the switch (i.e. your "dynex" device, i believe is just a network switch, ..it is not a router)...
    you are going to need to do this by process of elimination... like i said before, let's take the dynex device out of the equation first. to do that you have to get the downstairs computer connected directly to the upstairs router, and then see whether or not you can connect to the internet.. if not, ...it could be the upstairs router needs to be power cycled, or perhaps "reset", ... or your cable running from upstairs to downstairs could be bad... but, if you want to solve this, you're gonna have to start w/ these little tests like this to zero in on the problem..

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

ill try in the morning thank you

Thread Information