Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Buying a Used PS3

I was debating on buyin a used ps3 from a pawn shop. The reason is I really like the ps3 and want a 60 or 80GB because of their backwards capability (new 40GB dont have it) but don't wont to shell out the 500 bucks. The pawn shop i looked at give a 7 day guarantee. So my question is, do you guys have any tips on what to check on the console to make sure the used ps3 is worth purchasing, before and after i get it?
    By the way, they want 300 and im tryin to get it for a little less. It has no box and no games. Just all connections and one controller.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS # 5,876

well do this... buy it take it home... and play cd's... then leave it on all night and day... if it freezes up its bad... if it don't you got a good buy

Black
    99 SS

i would just buy a new one, im always leary about buying used stuff and the 80 gig is only 500 bucks

yeah im leary too thats why ive asked this . . . i want to make sure i check it out good before my 7 day guarantee is up. I mean if i get it for 250 thats half of what a new one is.
    Also I heard the 80 GB isn't that good for backwards capability. Don't know why . . i'm not real knowledgable on the technology of these. They say the 60 is the best. By the way this one is a 60GB.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

60,40,80 is just hard drive size, has nothing to do with anything else, they all are backwards capable , you'll never even fill the 40 gig drive IMO

there is a difference in the new 40 though, theyve told me at a couple stores that it don't have BC

if that was the case i would just get a new 40 because im with you that I will probably never fill or need the larger hard drive
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 02-01-2008 at 10:46 AM.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    yeah im leary too thats why ive asked this . . . i want to make sure i check it out good before my 7 day guarantee is up. I mean if i get it for 250 thats half of what a new one is.
    Also I heard the 80 GB isn't that good for backwards capability. Don't know why . . i'm not real knowledgable on the technology of these. They say the 60 is the best. By the way this one is a 60GB.

i still would think something is wrong with it, because my friend went to a pawn shop with his 20gig and wanted to sell it, and this was only after it had been out for 2 months and they only offered him 120 bucks for everything, no one in there right mind would sell it to a pawn shop for that much unless something was wrong with it.

yeah but thats how pawn shops work, theyre gonna give you a low amount for anything because they have to make their profit off it. the point is that they will give you that amount right then and there.

at this place, while i was waitin to talk to someone about this ps3. some dude came in with about 15 ps2 games. they told him $1 per game if theyre in good condition and nothin for sports games. and he did it ! (they only wanted like 5 games after looking at them) i was about to say hell man ill give ya dollar each for all of em without even lookin at the condition. some people just need that money right then and there.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea ur right the 40 doesnt have backwards play, but how often u gonna be playin ps2 games on it?

tru, especially after i get a few ps3 games, but my ps2 is about to shit on me (i have the very first version) and wont play about 75% of my ps2 games. so i'd like to just have that option and be able to play some games i haven't been able to in a while but own.
    Last edited by GULLETT17; 02-01-2008 at 11:35 AM.

silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

there is a difference between the hard drive sizes. The original 60 gig has the emotion chip which means it can play all old ps1 and ps2 games. The new 80/40 gigs do not have it. They will not play all old games. Sony is supposed to address this issue by firmware updates similar to how Microsoft does the 360. By the way this is the reason the ps3 dropped in price, taking the chip out saved Sony a $100.

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by kronik View Post
    there is a difference between the hard drive sizes. The original 60 gig has the emotion chip which means it can play all old ps1 and ps2 games. The new 80/40 gigs do not have it. They will not play all old games. Sony is supposed to address this issue by firmware updates similar to how Microsoft does the 360. By the way this is the reason the ps3 dropped in price, taking the chip out saved Sony a $100.
    then im glad i got my 60gig when i did, cause if it would not play PS2 games there is no way i would buy it

see this is why im kinda wantin to jump on this deal. so the current 60 still has this chip right? because the 60 is discontinued but still left have enough left there are still readily available, i believe. This is why the 60 and the 80 is the same price right now right?

Black
    99 SS

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    see this is why im kinda wantin to jump on this deal. so the current 60 still has this chip right? because the 60 is discontinued but still left have enough left there are still readily available, i believe. This is why the 60 and the 80 is the same price right now right?

yea the 20 and 60 are both discontinued, yes they both ave the chip, hell i guess buy it and try it out and see if it works, just let it run for 24 hours like mentioned above. the 80 is 500 now and the 60 was 600

welp im headin there after work and im leavin work in 2 minutes lol. ill let ya guys know what kind of deal i get, if any, or if its even still there.

Black
    99 SS

good luck man, yea let us know how it works out

Black
    1999 Trans am

What version is it, they've discontinued the 20GB version and 60GB Versions for a reason, i've got an 80GB model (i know its hard drive size but its also the features that comes with it i dont care what people say)

The 80GB with the newest firmware has gotten better for the PS one and PS two games. i love my 80GB one, and chances are correct you'll never fill it up.

Do your research for the model you are buying, the newer version have less issues than previous versions.

Take if you buy the one from the pawn shop, rent old and new versions of blu-ray, rent some PS1 - PS3 games, make sure they all play, and play it for more than 2 hrs in a day.

If its good keep it, i've got movies streaming to my PS3 from my PC so i can watch movies on my computer on my T.V. so i dont have to burn DVD's anymore.

alright guys i got it . . . paid 275 and it seems to work good. but heres my issue and tell me what you guys think. it does not have the chrome where the disc go in. . . ive never seen one like this. also i cant seem to get the door open where the memory sticks go in. . . is there a version that doesn't have this feature? i was plannin on goin in there and tell them to open it so i dont hurt it tryin to open it

Black
    99 SS

i dont know why it would not open its nothing special just a hinge on each side.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information