Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

Build your own PS3/360?!?

I'm at college now and I had to leave the game systems (ps3 and 360) behind for the little brother... So I had to decide which one I wanted for my birthday...

Well instead of getting just one.. I was thinking about getting the parts for both and putting them together myself... Just like a Custom PC... Half the price means I can afford both...

Has anyone done this? Or does anyone know what kind of stuff I would need.

I got this idea from my RA in my dorm... He built his own PS3 and Computer so I'm sure he could help... Just trying to get some feedback from my friends on LS1.

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

haven't really heard about building your own xbox/ps3. I do however fix xbox360's that i buy broken off of ebay. I can usually score a broken 360 with hard drive,all cables,power supply and sometimes a game comes with it as well for around 100-120 shipped. Takes me 5 min to fix, resell on ebay for 220+ or keep it for your self like you would...

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

^^^What's usually wrong with them?

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

Quote Originally Posted by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn View Post
    ^^^What's usually wrong with them?

x2... I was going to go that route with the 360 (because they're so readily available online) .. Just looking to see what I'll have to get.. And total price!?

Thanks,
    Matt

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Just buy a 'real' one from a store and forget about it.

If you're looking on a car forum on how to do it, chances are you don't need to be messing with it to begin with. By the time you add up the time you spend researching how to do it, finding the parts, you would have spent MORE money than you would had you not been a cheap ass and just gone to Wal Mart or Best Buy.

Question ultimately comes down to: What is your time worth to you?

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

i kinda agree with tide in that you would have to know what your doing, just taking the fuggin thing apart for the first time is a real pain in the ass even when you do know where to look for the hidden clips as the unit is not screwed together for the most part. Most of the 360's have the rrod--aka red ring of death which all xboxes will get over time,none are imune at this point. Basically with the rrod the xbox generally runs very hot,actuall too hot and over time the hot and cold cycles breaks the solder joints of the gpu and sometimes the cpu, other times it might be the hana--aka video scaling chip. There are some fixes that you can do for this, most seem temporary--aka reflow/heat gun/x-clamp replacement.. Basically this will overheat the area which will melt the solder to reconnect the broken contact points. I have yet to fix the ones with this problem though my personal xbox got this problem which was still under warranty.. Now with that in mind sometimes you can find a 360 that has a rrod issue and is still under warranty. You could buy one of these off of ebay and have microsoft fix it for free, they even pay shipping, but you just got to pray that you get an xbox with the security seal still intact,that it is infact a rrod problem, and that the box is still under warranty.

on the other hand i dissagree with tide in that i have now bought 2 xbox 360's one 140 shipped and the other 105 shipped with minimal problems. Hell the one that was 105 didnt have any issues at all, works fine and since my personal xbox broke(at microsoft for warranty) i have been using it for 2 weeks now. The first one i bought had a power brick issue in which outside rubber jacket that covers the wire to the wall simply pulled out of the powersupply, no big deal there... Others will have an id10--aka idiot problem in which the owner could have fixed it themselfs if they only read the owners manual or spent 5 min looking online, some of these issues are, bad av cables-causes four lights to light up on the ring of light making the owner thinking he got the rrod problem when infact he has a bad av cable, some issues are simple connections to the hard drive/360 and some others..

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

I'm an Engineering Major... And this is something that I would actually LIKE to do myself... And I've taken apart computers, RC cars, and all sorts of other things and put them back together with no issues...

I wasn't asking HOW to do it... Just if it was possible... Which it turns out it is... The PS3 on the other hand will only come out $100 cheaper... So I probably will just buy it outright... The 360 on the other hand... Like LS1WS6 said... Can be a simple fix.

And sorry I'm in college... I am a cheep ass.

FASTER THNA SPEEDINtICKEt BANDITO's Avatar

White
    2002 trans-am

One of my Cousins uncles built a Pc that is like 1/8 of his room pretty big. Anyways he made it a pc/ps3/360. He is like one of the biggest gamers I know and I don't see why its not possible. He says its all thanks to Linux and whatever

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

I built my project car ECM from scratch. By "scratch" I mean scratch.. If you have a good understanding of electronics I don't really see a problem. Are you talking about just snapping things together or actually going @ it with a solder iron?.. Either way it can be done. Though you'd need the proper testing equiptment as well. As stated it would probably be cheaper to either buy a new one or fix a broken one..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

This what I mean by "scratch"..

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

looks like shit ^ j/k good work

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

its defiantly possible...the ps3 is a computer..period a understanding of electronics and you will be set

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    looks like shit ^ j/k good work
    Thanx, there's a more detailed set of photos in my build thread.

Thread Information