Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First startup vid after cam swap

This is a discussion on First startup vid after cam swap within the Multimedia Section forums, part of the Off - Topic / Discussion forums category; Just finished up the swap and had the camera rolling for the very first startup. In the first vid you ...

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

First startup vid after cam swap

Just finished up the swap and had the camera rolling for the very first startup. In the first vid you can hear me say some stupid shit but i was nervous as hell!! Car is untuned and a custom cam ( guess its known as el torro)

After i pick up the camera in the first one i would quit watch and go to the second one as i was kinda just running around checking stuff and not really filming..

Purple 95 Camaro
    Arctic White 02 T/A WS6

Sounds badass, how long did it take?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Should be a nice torque curve with that bad boy, when are you getting the tune?

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Sounds pretty good man

1998 Z-28 A4

She sound's mean what type of exhaust do you have?

SOM
    99 Trans Am

took about a week. I obviously didnt work on it every day haha. Most of my time was just waiting for tools(crank puller and vavlespring compressor) and parts. I did the tear down in like 2 hours and went from bolting on the timing cover to first start up in another 2 hours. Valvesprings took about 2 hours.. Couldve done it in a day but oh well.

We did some street tuning with it already. Runs really strong. We used a tune of a friends cam only car. He has a vrx3 or 4. Forget which one but its really close to the specs of this cam and we just did some minor tweaking on that.

My exhaust it wayyy too small. I only have mids with an 2.5in or-y and a cutout. Im picking up some LT's (probably 1-7/8's cus ill be doing heads) and 3in ypipe soon so that should really help out.

black
    2002 TA WS7

sounds real good. what r the specs on the cam? did u do the head swap as well?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Holy shit I have to see your car soon Ryan, that sounds nasty! But now I dont have anyone to play with lol

nbm
    00 SS

Sounds fuggin' mean! I'd like to hear the specs also and who you went with for the final tune.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

its a 230/230 .613/.592 111+2. and no i have stock heads, 853s.

Jon, you can still play.. when i have the formy out haha.

And my tune was done by a friend on his laptop. Once i go to the dyno we are going to see where it needs tweaked but for now its doing great.
    99 TA-T56 swapped, Lid, TB Bypass, LS6 Intake, !EGR, !AIR, Custom Cam, Mids, O/R-Y, 3:73s, Cutout, Flowmaster.
    A4 numbers w/ mids only 320RWHP 333RWTQ
    Cam numbers and track times soon.

98 NBM Hardtop Formula- Bone stock, A4, 187,000 miles
    13.8@ 103 2.1 60' 1357 DA

black
    2002 TA WS7

did u do the swap on ur own, did u have any help? how long did it take?

SOM
    99 Trans Am

yeah i did it on my own. it could be done in a day or 2. mine took a week but i didnt work on it all the much if any during the week days. I had help for the valvesprings though.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Sounds real nice! Cool to see how it idles so well with a mean cam like that, at such a low RPM. It was a real pain to have a hydraulic cam that sounded that mean in my old '67 400 4 speed Firebird. It would usually idle at different RPMs depending on how hot the engine was, the ambient temps, etc. And then it would usually only run good when I had it floored.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

haha thanks. but yeah untuned it sat at about 400-500rpm. if i even touched the gas it would drop down to like 200-300 and try and die so i had to keep blipping the throttle till it would sit at 500ish. we have it set at 850 now. i love it. still chops really hard but not low enough to where it wants to die.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

With those lift specs and the LSA, I wonder how far down your gas MPG will go. That cam is not too efficient below 2000 RPM I suppose, and cruise for me is 1550 RPM in 6th @ 70 MPH. I currently get between 25-28 at those speeds. But then again, maybe you don't even care about gas mileage!

One day I'll get back to the scene of mean sounding idle. Nothing like turning heads at the gas station when you pull in!

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    With those lift specs and the LSA, I wonder how far down your gas MPG will go. That cam is not too efficient below 2000 RPM I suppose, and cruise for me is 1550 RPM in 6th @ 70 MPH. I currently get between 25-28 at those speeds. But then again, maybe you don't even care about gas mileage!

One day I'll get back to the scene of mean sounding idle. Nothing like turning heads at the gas station when you pull in!
    I love that. With a cutout it sounds plain ole nasty! Head turner for sure. What gear to you have Too Fast?

OP, sounds really good man! Post up some numbers and hopefully a track time when you get it.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I have stock 3.42 gears. If I get off my ass and get an LS6 intake then a tune, hopefully that will keep the car in the 12s @ over 110 MPH even on hot days. And keep the gas MPG.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post

haha yeah city gas mileage is down a fair amount. Its a/f is perfect but you can still smell it burning so much gas. It surges below 1500 if i let off the gas but under load its smoother than stock. Highway my rpms sit at about 1700 so the mileage is decent. but when i drive this car im not too worried about mpg's.. thats what the formy is for.

im posting a tuned idle vid.

And thanks Hipo. im just waiting on an adjustable master so i can actually shift at high rpm. then shes going to the track. dyno numbers should be in by the end of August.
    Last edited by Ryans99LS1; 07-27-2009 at 11:13 AM.

SOM
    99 Trans Am

heres the tuned idle. and yeah, that the formy i picked up for a DD. car is solid, just some minor cosmetic damage that ill take care of soon.

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...formula005.flv

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    haha yeah city gas mileage is down a fair amount. Its a/f is perfect but you can still smell it burning so much gas. It surges below 1500 if i let off the gas but under load its smoother than stock. Highway my rpms sit at about 1700 so the mileage is decent. but when i drive this car im not too worried about mpg's.. thats what the formy is for.

im posting a tuned idle vid.

And thanks Hipo. im just waiting on an adjustable master so i can actually shift at high rpm. then shes going to the track. dyno numbers should be in by the end of August.

As we all know, the real numbers are MPH times at the 1/4 mile. Dynos are good mostly as a tuning tool, to get A/F ratios correct. And to know the tune is putting out best HP/torque.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    heres the tuned idle. and yeah, that the formy i picked up for a DD. car is solid, just some minor cosmetic damage that ill take care of soon.

Car still sounds mean as hell! I would give up 2-3 MPG in the city to still get 24 or so highway to have an idle like that. As long as the dragstrip backed it all up! Was that video shot open headers?

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...formula005.flv

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information