Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zex Vs. HSW

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Zex Vs. HSW

Ok so I found a deal on a Zex wet kit with a bottle warmer and a psi gauge minus a purge. When I say deal its $200 for everything from a friend of mine. Nothing wrong with the kit, everything works.
    I was really leaning towards an HSW kit tho so my question is, how much of a difference is there between the 2?
    This is a newer zex, so it doesn't have the older computer that brakes all the time.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

well from what i know, zex is a pain in the ass to install, but since its only 200 bucks id go for it. and maybe get your purge and all of the other goodies from harris. but damn man, 200, id jump on that shit right now, and i already have a kit. just go for it. and liek i said, hit up harris for all the other stuff.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea I defitantly will hit up HSW for everything else but the actual kit how bad is it compared to HSW? (computer vs. solenoids)

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

that my friend i could not be help on, i really dont know, ive never heard on bad thing about he actual quality of the kit, just the amount of installation and all the different compenents. still, for 200 you could buy it and then buy two no noids from harris for aroiund 140 a piece and still be under 500 for a wet kit. sounds like a hell of a deal to me. i run NX in my car with a combo of n2o outlet stuff and soon to be a harris speedworks interface to pull timing

White
    01 Camaro 6speed

No doubt Zex, my HSW solenoids would constantly fail meaning the nitrous solenoid and was a PITA to wait and wait for them to get back to you. I had to eventually buy them and on one of them they never got back to me period. This was a few years ago so not sure if they have better quality stuff or better customer service. If you can get the Zex go for it thats what im gonna do for my nitrous set up.

liquid red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

I have the complete HSW kit and I havent had a single problem. I also have the HSW accessory kit as well. But hell, $200, not alot to lose. Good luck!
    2008 G8 GT
    CAI, 25% UDP, Livernois stage 1 cam, Kooks LTH"S, Catted X-Pipe, Kooks axle backs, DMH electric cutouts, 125 shot of happy juice and tune by Tony G at HP Performance!

Burgandy
    2002 Z28

HSW... all the way!

I have a simple 125hp dry kit. HSW's kit will give you what you what. Pay for the extra costs. They also do a great job at installs!

Good luck!

Here's proof:

2002 A4 Z28: SLP LM exhaust and HSW 100whp dry shot.

NA: 323.4WHP@5360 RPMs, 344.2ft-lbs@4610 RPMs,
    N2O: 417.0WHP@5200 RPMs, 467.6ft-lbs@4210RPMs

NA: 13.351@107.48mph, N2O: 12.324@117.88

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMHmdFywR0w

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    I have a simple 125hp dry kit. HSW's kit will give you what you what. Pay for the extra costs. They also do a great job at installs!

Good luck!

Here's proof:

What this proving?

Burgandy
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    What this proving?
    Im not saying that the zex kit is bad. Im saying the HSW kit that I own is great and that they were very professional.

I never had one problem with my kit or my car after the install. The car performs way better than I ever expected.

I HAVE had problems with other dealers before, with other projects. Its wastes time, and effort, and money.

HSW has a great reputation and product. That is something thats is very hard to find. So consider that.

Your young and probably havent been burnt by people that offer products that promise you the moon for cheap. Generally speaking you get what you pay for.

If its me... go for the safer bet. Get all the parts you need in your kit to accomplish your goal. Anticipate more problems and costs if your project becomes bigger and more complicated for the big hp.

Are you doing your own install?

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yes, a friend of mine and I are going to install it sometime this week I hope along with a new exhaust and wideband.

I know HSW is a great kit but and all the accessories I will get is coming from HSW because all I really have other then the WOT switch is a bottle warmer and PSI gauge.

My question is what are the negatives of zex, its completely different then any other kit because it uses a computer instead of solenoids.

Burgandy
    2002 Z28

I have the old BMN nitrous controller setup. Anything similar/newer is a good thing. Its not always cheap... but... It allows you to inject the nitrous at whatever RPM range you want... lets say between 3000-6000rpms. (along with your WOT switch) it gives you more control/safety to achieve your goals. Plus there is a 1st gear "lock out" feature if you want... so it doesnt inject in first gear. With street tires... its hard enough to get traction. The remote bottle opener is also a "nice to have" feature. I thought that was pricey... but it pays off if your at a red light.. and want to use your use what you got... or just the opposite... if a cop is digging through your car, trying to nail you and hits the purge button... the bottle will be closed.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Rich L View Post
    ... if a cop is digging through your car, trying to nail you and hits the purge button... the bottle will be closed.
    lol never thought of it being good for that lol.
    I do plan on getting the remote opener and and RPM window.
    I also need a place to come up with a custom switch panel with 6 buttons.
    1. Arm switch
    2. bottle warmer
    3. purge
    4. bottle opener
    5. cut outs
    6. flame thrower (came with exhuast)

Burgandy
    2002 Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JwMonE99 View Post
    lol never thought of it being good for that lol.
    I do plan on getting the remote opener and and RPM window.
    I also need a place to come up with a custom switch panel with 6 buttons.
    1. Arm switch
    2. bottle warmer
    3. purge
    4. bottle opener
    5. cut outs
    6. flame thrower (came with exhuast)
    Dam. Do you want to hide all those switches?!. I go the standard 3 switches and purge in the ashtray. Nice and hidden!

As far as the flame thrower.... That could be the coolest invention ever made. But Im pretty sure your going to have some problems in any state if a cop see you on the street using that!!

I've had cops in NJ search my car for a simple speeding ticket... they dont like the fact our cars are bad-ass. Its all a power trip. They will profile you and ticket you unless you have some kind of cop friend to help you out.

So... let them put up behind you nice and close... then ROAST them!

Just make sure you got enough juice to get away.

And please! Post a video after you get that stuff installed! I wanna see that flame thrower in action!

Good luck &
    Take care

-Rich

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Well after some thinking, I am probably going to use only 5. Dont really care for the electric bottle opener or I am going to use it more often.
    But I actually have a great idea of where I am going to hide the switch. I would use the ashtray but that is where my cell phone goes and I have my ipod velcrod to the top of the console and covers some of where the lid would be.

I would keep away from that zex kit. Nitrous in a Box is not an ideal situation, and becomes a giant heat sink. Talk to the guys from Harris. They will get you set up with everything you need.

liquid red
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Ive had my HSW for almost a year and I love it. Its probably the best kit Ive used. Great people there, quick shipping, fairly easy install(even though it was for a GTO so some brackets didnt line up!) and dead reliable. I bought the accessory kit too just to be on the safe side. Good luck with whatever you decide. JMO Chad

Mystic Teal/Chameleon grn
    1998 TA

I didn't see if you posted where you're going to mount the bottle, but if you mount it on the hump between the two back seats you wont need the remote bottle opener. You can just reach your arm back and open it....very convenient.

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Yea but it wouldnt be hidden

Mystic Teal/Chameleon grn
    1998 TA

Who needs it to be hidden lol it looks badass sitting back there for everyone to see. If your parked somewhere and happen to see someone walk by your car and glance through the window, its so funny to see them back up and look again when they see the bottle

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

I like everything I have to be kinda "sleeper." its hard enough just owning a Camaro

Thread Information