Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    1998 Camaro SS

why is nitrous so bad?

everyone says nitrous is bad for your engine and you could blow it up. alot of people say because your engine could go lean.....so if you buy performance fuel pump and injectors shouldnt you be pretty safe? ive also heard that its bad bc it hads alot of horsepower right away and runs your engine too hard. well if that was the case wouldnt it be possible to make a nitrous system that when you engage it the shot starts out small and progresses higher? Im curious if nitrous is even bad for your engine even after you upgrade your fuel system, people say if something breaks it could blow your engine.....well if you werent running nitrous somethign could break and blow your engine. i know alot of guys who are dead scared of putting nitrous on their car. I bought a single nozzle dry nitrous kit from hsw and i microedge controller gonna run just a 75 shot, i also bought a walbro fuel pump and 42# injectors so i dont see why the nitrous would be that dangerous. Thanks for any input.

You will be fine, stand by to go to a 100 shot.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

it's not that bad. everything you asked about is on the market. nitrous is only dangerous if you abuse it. ona dry, you can go about 125ish with stock injectors and fuel pump. with a wet kit, you can go 150 without issue.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    everyone says nitrous is bad for your engine and you could blow it up. alot of people say because your engine could go lean.....so if you buy performance fuel pump and injectors shouldnt you be pretty safe? ive also heard that its bad bc it hads alot of horsepower right away and runs your engine too hard. well if that was the case wouldnt it be possible to make a nitrous system that when you engage it the shot starts out small and progresses higher? Im curious if nitrous is even bad for your engine even after you upgrade your fuel system, people say if something breaks it could blow your engine.....well if you werent running nitrous somethign could break and blow your engine. i know alot of guys who are dead scared of putting nitrous on their car. I bought a single nozzle dry nitrous kit from hsw and i microedge controller gonna run just a 75 shot, i also bought a walbro fuel pump and 42# injectors so i dont see why the nitrous would be that dangerous. Thanks for any input.
    You have most of your bases covered with the microedge controller. You can use it to engage the nitrous after 3000rpm and kick it off a few hundred rpm before the rev limiter. It also has the built in a/f switch so you'll never have to worry about your a/f ratio. What I do like to tell people is to completely read the entire install manual. There is tons of useful info in there. If you come across any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks!

Nick

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

remember that nitrous is based on the same principles of forced induction... you're adding more air + fuel.
    The same restrictions will apply on sc or turbo combos... only difference is that the air is colder with higher O2 concentration and coming from a container.
    Stock block and configuration have its limitations for nitrous as for sc/turbo as well.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Exclamation It's not!!

Because people are scared of things they don't understand PERIOD.

For a SMALL shot such as what you are referring to a controller is a waste of money! You see the biggest gains with nitrous from the initial get go. We can grab 200-250 on the big end for bracket racing. . . . . . .Without breaking out! Meaning it makes less of a gain the later you hit it.

Pumps are a $100 WHY not replace them with a WALBRO 255 for ANY bottle car.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

black
    1998 Camaro SS

you are right about people are scared of what they dont understand. so do you think i should go bigger like 100 or 125 shot? its 98 ss m6 5.3L heads, 228 cam, pacesetter lt's ory, slpintake, maf, exhaust, bbk intake, 85mm throttle body, 42# injectors and walbro fuel pump. I want as much power as i can get but i also want to be safe as i can be. i would like to have my car running good for many years.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

start at a level comfortable for you. get a feel for it, then move up. a 75 shot, you'll barely feel. a 150 shot, you'll definately feel.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    start at a level comfortable for you. get a feel for it, then move up. a 75 shot, you'll barely feel. a 150 shot, you'll definately feel.
    Exactly, I always tell my friends to take the 50 and 75 jets and throw them away, you wont even be able to feel them. Now the 100 and 150 shots feel like you get a swift kick in the arse! I always start out with the 125 shot.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Quote Originally Posted by LS2Tuner View Post
    Because people are scared of things they don't understand PERIOD.

For a SMALL shot such as what you are referring to a controller is a waste of money! You see the biggest gains with nitrous from the initial get go. We can grab 200-250 on the big end for bracket racing. . . . . . .Without breaking out! Meaning it makes less of a gain the later you hit it.

Pumps are a $100 WHY not replace them with a WALBRO 255 for ANY bottle car.
    I would say at that size shot a progressive controller isn't necessary however I do recommend that a controller that has a built in window switch and a/f shut down be used. I wasn't quite sure if you were referring to a progressive type unit or just any controller at all. But I definitely think that the safety features are a wise investment especially for someone just starting out.

Nick

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Nick@HSW View Post
    I would say at that size shot a progressive controller isn't necessary however I do recommend that a controller that has a built in window switch and a/f shut down be used. I wasn't quite sure if you were referring to a progressive type unit or just any controller at all. But I definitely think that the safety features are a wise investment especially for someone just starting out.

Nick
    Yes I was talking about the progressive he referred to. I wouldn't spend that kind of money on such a small shot. . . . . . . Unless your budget is unlimited & you were running some tiny rubberbands for tires.
    Safety features are always good but not necessarily needed.
    I have put well over a 100 kits on cars over the years and have installed 4 window switches on customers cars that were horrible drivers. Haven't had 1 blow up yet. Nipped some plugs but thats it. Knock on wood.

It's just like people say YOU CAN'T HIT NITROUS UNDER 3000 RPM. LOL
    Yeah that's a great safety net to aid a miss tune but NOT TRUE.

And yes as you referred to earlier I also was speaking of a LOW pressure fogger set up. If your spending that kind of money on a kit it's POINTLESS in my eyes to NOT do a stand alone fuel system. Shit by the time you buy a big enough high pressure pump for the motor and 300shot plus the accumulator for that intial hit your not going to far off from a stand alone system price.
    My 2 cents.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

So it is safe then to hit the nitrous below 3000rpm?

black
    1998 Camaro SS

ill have the nitrous on it when i get it dyno tuned in april so as long as i got adequate fuel, tr6 plugs and a tune then im good? even to hit nitrous under 3000...i dont think the kit i bought will let me engage nitrous under 3000 anyway

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

ill have the nitrous on it when i get it dyno tuned in april so as long as i got adequate fuel, tr6 plugs and a tune then im good? even to hit nitrous under 3000...i dont think the kit i bought will let me engage nitrous under 3000 anyway
    yes you can hit it under 3000rpm,jus has to be WOT,but if you are using progressive you can change things around.
    mods: custom built twins, built 408 w/l92 stock GM heads,GM matching intake,drag bags,frame ties,aluminum drive shaft, performabuilt 4l80e,Yank converter,ohios fastest and quickest 04-06 GTO 9.52 at 144mph. 1.50 60ft on stock rear end and shafts/suspension,on drag radials.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    Exactly, I always tell my friends to take the 50 and 75 jets and throw them away, you wont even be able to feel them. Now the 100 and 150 shots feel like you get a swift kick in the arse! I always start out with the 125 shot.
    thats stupid advice, you should always start small, if any problems arise it will be minor and not catastrophic, and btw i know a few people who gained 100 wheel with a 50 shot. and i hope your not spraying more than a 150 on that plate of yours unless its a brute force.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

i dont think a progressive fits his needs, for a cheaper price you can build a second stage, 1st stage is small 50 or so then 2nd is higher, whatever you choose and can be controlled by a nitrous outlet window switch, or hsw mico edge, actually i think that will work out quite nicely for you.

white, white and pewter
    Rip99SSA4,74Z28M4,02SSM6

So it is safe then to hit the nitrous below 3000rpm?
    no it is not safe, well n20 really isnt what id call "safe" but it is unwise to hit the n20 under 3k especially being a wet hit. id recommend to stay above 3k, unless your hitting a dry 50 or maybe 75. just remember to get a tune,

black
    1998 Camaro SS

ya ill be running a 75 shot dry. i bought 42# injectors and walbro fuel pump just to be safe. i am also getting a street and dyno tune as i am installing other mods as well. heads,cam,intake, throttle body, headers. How much timing do you think will have to be pulled to run this 75 shot? how often do you guys spray? do you spray on the street at all or just on the track? what gear do you guys usually spray in? im new to nitrous so just trying to get some info on it so i can use it correctly Thanks

NBM
    2002 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by camarojunky74 View Post
    thats stupid advice, you should always start small, if any problems arise it will be minor and not catastrophic, and btw i know a few people who gained 100 wheel with a 50 shot. and i hope your not spraying more than a 150 on that plate of yours unless its a brute force.
    Dont tell me thats stupid advice, as long as you do a good install, take your time and double check everything, with the proper safety equipment there shouldnt be any problems. And I know how big of a shot I can run on my plate, Ive been doing this long enough to know what the hell im doing.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by NoscamaroSS View Post
    Dont tell me thats stupid advice, as long as you do a good install, take your time and double check everything, with the proper safety equipment there shouldnt be any problems. And I know how big of a shot I can run on my plate, Ive been doing this long enough to know what the hell im doing.
    Damn

Thread Information