black
    1999 camaro z28

what has 2 be done to run nitrous?

i would like to run a 50 - 100 shot nitrous kit. not sure but what else has to be modified on the car? and is a dry or wet kit better? thanks

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Go with a wet kit and retard the timing 2 degress for every 50hp on n20
    and oh yea NGKTR6 plugs

black
    1999 camaro z28

thanks for the reply. is there any need for reinforce the rear end or any of that stuff?

YOU DON'T NEED TO RETARD TIMING TILL 125+. tHE REAR WILL LAST IF YOU DON'T USE DR'S
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Black
    1999 WS6

If you're staying with 50 and no more then 100, I'd say no. I have been running 150 - 200 shot for the past 25k miles, but don't go past 100 shot without mods unless you want some extra bills coming your way.

Black
    1999 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Danger731 View Post
    YOU DON'T NEED TO RETARD TIMING TILL 125+. tHE REAR WILL LAST IF YOU DON'T USE DR'S
    WOW, I think that's pushing it....I lost an intake by following that same advice. I had a hole as big as my fist in it, I went the cheap route first and found out it wasn't that cheap after all.
    Just my 2 cents,,,once you get started with the bottle its hard NOT to want more and then you find yourself saying....well lets see what 50 more will feel like.
    Its a kick in the ass, but 50 isn't enough...100 is just getting to start feeling good.

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by kevnstac View Post
    If you're staying with 50 and no more then 100, I'd say no. I have been running 150 - 200 shot for the past 25k miles, but don't go past 100 shot without mods unless you want some extra bills coming your way.
    What kinda mods are you talking about doing to the car after 100, cause I know alot of people that run 125 shot on their stock ls1's for a long time and had no problems other than a good tune!!!

In need of another LS1 00blacktransam112's Avatar

Black
    2000 Pontiac TA

I'm pretty sure he is talking about drivetrain mods such as that puny 10 bolt that we are all cursed with. I mean some cars go forever without blowing the diff apart (lucky) but some will destroy it on the first nitrous pass. And the clutch is another thing too.

2000 Z/28

50-100 shot should work fine without any other mods as long as you are running 92-93 octane fuel. Just make sure you aren't using a tune with advanced timing.

Once you start stepping it up past there, you will need to start retarding timing.

The stock 10 bolt should be OK as long as you aren't using sticky tires.

Black
    99 Formula

Window switch and youll save your intake.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

From my understanding, under 100 shot you dont need to do anything special, but having an intake and exhaust will really make the nitrous work better.

but you dont need any supporting mods until up past 125

black
    1999 camaro z28

well thanks for the info everyone that sounds good. i do have the exhaust and the k&n air intake.what do you guys think about using a dry or wet kit?

2000 ss/1994 z28/1979 z28

Quote Originally Posted by mr289 View Post
    well thanks for the info everyone that sounds good. i do have the exhaust and the k&n air intake.what do you guys think about using a dry or wet kit?
    Diff. wet kit. Maybe some bigger fuel injectors for extra insurance, cause it won't look pretty if your engine goes to lean. Most people i know don't go bigger unless your going with a big kit. If you go with a 50-100 shot you should be fine with out them, just make sure to go wet! lol

Black
    99 Formula

I've had both dry and wet. I like the dry kit for street use. I ran my dry kit for 5 years no problems. I liked it cause it's less complicated. No purging required, no fuel solenoids (thay can fail). If the N20 solenoid fails on the dry kit no loss. It doesn't hit as hard so it's easier to manage the power on street rubber. The bottle last longer. I was running 11.8 @118 with stock long block with dry kit. Matter of fact I'm thinking of putting it back on the car and have both systems and use the dry for the street, wet for track. I blow the tires off through three gears with the wet kit. Cars all over the road. It's exciting............ butt.. you know.

black
    1999 camaro z28

cool thanks for the info based on that i think it will be a dry kit.its street use anyhow.how is the install, im pretty handy with wrench but not the greatest.wondering if i should have someone hook it up 4 me or not. this whole concept is new to me i bought the car new in 99 and just flipped 40k, im just lookin for a little more punch you know

Black
    99 Formula

Dry kit is easy to instal. I think the requirements are for ages three and up. With just general skills you can easily install in a day. And really should just take about 2 to 3 hours. Garunteed smiles ear to ear.

NBM
    2002 Camaro

The only thing about having a dry kit is you will need a pump AND injectors for anything above a 100-125 shot and you are still cutting it close with the 125 hit.
    02 Camaro
    PRC Stg 2.5 5.3's, Futral F14, PP Typhoon intake, True duals, Performabuilt tranny, & 3500 convertor, HSW plate kit.
    *Old Time* 10.90@ 125mph

Pewter
    1997 C5 Corvette

id say if you can restrain yourself to under a 100 shot then go the dry kit but im guessing you will want to spray more so id go with a wet kit, if you have a manual then get a WOT switch and if you have an auto get a window switch also, they will save on your drivetrain so you arent spraying during a shift. as long as you stay away from a sticky tire you should be fine as far as drivetrain life. I spray anywhere between 100-175 on my wet kit. you'll want to get it tuned or find someone with a windband so you can dial in your air/fuel ratio. call the kit manufacturer about recommended jet sizes for fuel and nitrous and start there, you can change your a/f ratio with your fuel jets.

Black
    99 Formula

Stock pump, stock longblock, stock injectors are all up to handling a 125 dry shot. Mine did for years of heavy abuse. I actually had a hyperteck tune for many of those years. Never had a check engine light or problem (except for blown rear) with the dry shot. Simple and effective. Good street kit

Thread Information