Results 1 to 16 of 16

SLP loudmouth 1 and y pipe on 2000 z28

This is a discussion on SLP loudmouth 1 and y pipe on 2000 z28 within the Nitrous forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; ok i need some immediate help because aparently i'm buying this stuff today possibly or tomorrow so you guys who ...

  1. #1
    Lead Foot mammoth713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6

    SLP loudmouth 1 and y pipe on 2000 z28

    ok i need some immediate help because aparently i'm buying this stuff today possibly or tomorrow so you guys who actually put on an exhuast can you help me?

    i want this

    http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/slploudexsys.html

    and possibly this

    http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/camls1yp.html

    so a couple things...

    A) does even the Y pipe literally bolt on or is there any welding?
    B) does the Y pipe actually help in any way performance because i see my stock Y pipe (or i think its the Y pipe) is flat as a pancake basically... so logically i'd think this y pipe would give me something performance wise
    C) would anyone recommend this setup.. i dont plan on putting headers in the car (i read the 2000 ones have better flowing headers than 98s and 99? true?)

    any help would be appreciated...

  2. #2
    Lead Foot mammoth713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6

    anyone?

  3. #3
    Exalted Cyclops 67CamaroRSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    5,824

    2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

    If you're not doing long tube headers I wouldn't waste the time and $$$. The flat pipe is that way for clearance. If the car is lowered a round Y-pipe will hit everything. Even at stock height, when I had a Y-pipe before I did TD's it didn't clear some stuff.

    IIRC, it's 01 and 02 exhaust manifolds that outflow the other years.

    A word from the wise: Never rush what you're doing with your car. Think about it, plan it out then think some more. You'll be bucks up in the long run. Ask me how I know this.....
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 07-15-2009 at 03:35 PM.

  4. #4
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    The slp Y pipe doesn't have catalytic convertors on it and you would have to get o2 sensor simulators or get the rear o2 sensors deleted by a tuner.

    I would personally go with just the SLP catback exhaust (if that is what you want) because it bolts on and you won't have to deal with o2 sensors and having no cats(which may be a problem if you have emissions inspection in your state).

    I believe SLP is talking alot of shit saying a Y pipe adds 10 hp anyways. Many members here have said to stay far away from anything SLP makes except maybe the Catback exhaust.

    I have a SLP LM1 catback on my car and wound up replacing the SLP resonator(muffler) with a Borla muffler(called a Borlamouth) because the SLP resonator had so much drone and was way too raspy and loud. If you were to go with the slp Y pipe it would be even louder. (I like to hear my car but not have it so loud I can't give it any gas without the whole world looking at me!) LOL


    If I was going to go through the trouble of a Y pipe I would install long tube headers on as well-just me.

    Good Luck!

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    174

    Pewter
    2001 Z28

    just buy the LM1 catback, and leave the ypipe till you do headers.

  6. #6
    Junior Member myzisbetter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    hell diego
    Posts
    92

    victory red
    2002 z28

    yeah i just had the flat pipe replaced on my car for 60 bucks.. took the shop like 20 minutes to do it..... the lm1 catback is nice and i like the sounds but the drone at 65 gets kinda old. if you go to 70 it goeas away.... im thinkin about replacing it with a magna flow or something similar.

  7. #7
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    The slp Y pipe doesn't have catalytic convertors on it and you would have to get o2 sensor simulators or get the rear o2 sensors deleted by a tuner.

    I would personally go with just the SLP catback exhaust (if that is what you want) because it bolts on and you won't have to deal with o2 sensors and having no cats(which may be a problem if you have emissions inspection in your state).

    I believe SLP is talking alot of shit saying a Y pipe adds 10 hp anyways. Many members here have said to stay far away from anything SLP makes except maybe the Catback exhaust.

    I have a SLP LM1 catback on my car and wound up replacing the SLP resonator(muffler) with a Borla muffler(called a Borlamouth) because the SLP resonator had so much drone and was way too raspy and loud. If you were to go with the slp Y pipe it would be even louder. (I like to hear my car but not have it so loud I can't give it any gas without the whole world looking at me!) LOL


    If I was going to go through the trouble of a Y pipe I would install long tube headers on as well-just me.

    Good Luck!
    The y-pipe bolts on after the cats on 2000-2002 and does not affect o2's.
    no cutting or welding, a simple bolt-on replacement. pre-2000 is a different story.

  8. #8
    Lead Foot mammoth713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6

    yeah i thought i read the Y pipe doesnt even involve o2 sensors or cats or anything... it literally should bolt right on because my car is a 2000.... so then in that case do you guys still think its not worth getting the y pipe even if thats true?

  9. #9
    MOTOR CITY MARO' SSTODD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    LIVONIA,MICHIGAN
    Age
    51
    Posts
    786

    PEWTER
    2000 CAMARO SS #3821

    I would not count on hp gains, but it may change sound/tone and flow characteristics of the exhaust system. I might try it myself with the LM2 in the future because my SLP dual/dual is not loud enough and I will not probably ever do headers or go catless.

  10. #10
    Lead Foot mammoth713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6

    yeah ok well thanks for the help everyone... i'm not really rushing into this as it may seem.. ive done a lot of research and what not for the past couple months contemplating different exhaust and watching youtube...

    but anyway i think i'll order the LM1 and leave it at that and use that extra $200 that woudl have been a y pipe for an intake or new headlights

  11. #11
    Junior Member Hoss93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    53
    Posts
    42

    Blk
    2002 Camaro z28

    http://www.lmperformance.com/15994/.html

    Dude look at the price on these headers. WTF is the point in getting a Y-pipe when you don't have headers?? Open the MF up!

    As for the lil girl who commented they "don't wanna be too loud so ppl don't stare at them," GO DRIVE A F##$%G RICER DOOD!

    If you wanna drive a Chevy Camaro V-8 and want performance - open it up.

  12. #12
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoss93 View Post
    http://www.lmperformance.com/15994/.html

    Dude look at the price on these headers. WTF is the point in getting a Y-pipe when you don't have headers?? Open the MF up!

    As for the lil girl who commented they "don't wanna be too loud so ppl don't stare at them," GO DRIVE A F##$%G RICER DOOD!

    If you wanna drive a Chevy Camaro V-8 and want performance - open it up.
    NOOB! I guess you run open headers on your car huh? idiot.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 07-16-2009 at 08:15 PM.

  13. #13
    I lika da Chevy's LETHALxLS1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,329

    BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by SSTODD View Post
    The y-pipe bolts on after the cats on 2000-2002 and does not affect o2's.
    no cutting or welding, a simple bolt-on replacement. pre-2000 is a different story.
    It is still a POS.

  14. #14
    Lead Foot mammoth713's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    460

    Black
    2000 Z28 M6

    lol that is a good price tho... hahahaha damn.

  15. #15
    Junior Member Hoss93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Age
    53
    Posts
    42

    Blk
    2002 Camaro z28

    Point is get the Y pipe AND the headers - not just the Y pipe - duh

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    NEW JERSEY
    Posts
    814

    PEWTER
    2001 TRANS AM WS6

    The slp y pipe changes the tone just a little bit

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Loudmouth, X-Pipe, Cats, Minifolds, A/C, EGR more
    By Levilz in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2009, 03:19 PM
  2. corvette loudmouth exhaust for 2000
    By 99-SS-Conv in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-07-2007, 04:35 PM
  3. 2000 corvette loudmouth
    By 99-SS-Conv in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 08:02 PM
  4. SLP Loudmouth II, SLP Y-pipe, Mecham Tips
    By PontiacFan in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-19-2007, 08:11 AM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 12:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •