Thread: powershifting

blue
    99 camaro ss

Question powershifting

can you power shift while on bottle and can you blow the motor if you hit the rev limiter on bottle. i have a nos 100 dry shot, wot switch

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes you can I've been doing it for 15 years now. I would not try it if your not a good shifter and have a good clutch!!

If you hit the rev limiter there is a possible chance of having a backfire which can blow the motor.

I would run a handheld button you can interupt the wires going to your WOT switch so it still is functional too. That way you can let off the button on the shifter or in your hand for a split second and still keep it WFO.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

DAVE97
    What causes a backfire while on the bottle? Or what are some things to do to prevent a backfire?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE97 View Post
    What causes a backfire while on the bottle? Or what are some things to do to prevent a backfire?
    Excessive fuel build up...... Which can happen for multiple reasons. One of which is hitting the rev limiter and it cutting out the spark for that cylinder for a second and then when it comes back to ignite there is soooo much fuel it ignites and comes back into the intake charge and ignites a . Or it can go the complete opposite direction and be caused by a VERY lean condition also.

Things to prevent would be buy a quality kit that has a good atomizing design. Have a good fuel pump that is NOT straining to try to keep up with the needs of the motor and the kit. Keep steady fuel pressure and nitrous pressure. Some company's give you a pressure window to keep it in......But it is all how you have tuned it with the jets and what the pressure was when you tuned it. I myself don't keep it to there jetting. I tune it to the A/F Ration I want. And a lot of that depends on the customer it's for. I know some of my customers that get out there and fill up with 87 and leave the bottle in the trunk ALL day while the pressure is building and then go to the street races and blow the bottle until it's empty. So with that kind of customer I tune it VERY rich and pull more timing than I would if it's a customer that I know will put good gas and listen to what I tell him on the PSI.
    I would put a Hobbs switch on the fuel solenoid that will cut power to the kit if the pressure drops below my set point.
    Also have them wire the solenoids to direct power and switch them on and off with the ground side just as your factory PCM does.
    Hope my quick description helps.

Thread Information