Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Dreaming of an LS1 senior gomez's Avatar

Teal
    91 teg (stock,notmodding)

nitrous on a z28 or SS

i am seriously considering a z28 or SS M6 camaro in the next year or so, and im learning alot on here about different this and thats. anyways, i know nos pushes the engine harder but how bad is it for the engine? say idk 100 shot of nos? would it be worth considering?

Black
    99 SS

go for it man! the stock internals can handel that no problems.

Moo cow f**k milk Demon_Speeding's Avatar

Black
    2001 Camaro Z28

The stock internals can easily handle a wet or dry 100 shot. I'd do a 100 shot and some other bolt ons to compliment it.

Once I get my clutch, rear and cam I'm dropping a 100-150 shot on for "insurance purposes."

Teal

ah, i guess i honestly dont know the first thing about nos hardley...cept that its a button or switch that you push and your car goes faster than normal. wet shot dry shot? hmmm i need help

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

100 shot wont do any harm at all if properly installed with the required basic safety features...and by basic safety features I mean for your engine...
    Bottle Heater
    Pressure Guage
    WOT Switch
    F/P Switch
    Purge

Teal

sweet!

Teal

so where would i go about looking up for this kind of stuff? specific brand yall recomend?

Give our kits a look at. If you have any specific questions let us know.

Thanks,
    Matt

camaro_ss_97_
    well just hooked my dry kit up from harris speedworks and everything went as planned just have to fill up the bottle and let her rip. i have all my wires hidden and i have a concealed ashtray swich and my bottle is under my speaker box. so that way no one will ever know i have it. insurance for sure!!

07 CBR1000RR

Mine handles the 150 shot just fine but I did have to upgrade my fuel system a little.
    00 Z28 M6 :SOLD:
    N/A:411 RWHP@376 RWTQ
    Spray:567 RWHP@597 RWTQ
    New Ride, The new baby, 2007 CBR 1000RR, PCIII, full exhst, BMC race air filter, custom tune, flapper mod, stainless lines, rear fender delete, double bubble, CRG levers, frame & swing arm sliders

you also have to retard the timing 4 degrees.....something many people overlook.

02Vortech
    Okay addressing your question about how nitrous work here is the basics-
    The basic facts of nitrous oxide are these:
    - Nitrous oxide is a cryogenic gas composed of nitrogen and oxygen molecules. (N2O)
    - Nitrous is 36% oxygen by weight.
    - Nitrous is non-flammable by itself.
    - Nitrous is stored as a compressed liquid.
    - Nitrous exists in two grades: USP (medical grade) and NitrousPlus
    (On Nitrous+, sulphur dioxide is added to prevent substance abuse. Sniff this stuff, and you'll look like Phyllis Diller on a bad hair day.)

Dry system- Uses one solenoid only for the nitrous, it is sprayed before the mass air flow sensor so that your MAF can read the extra oxygen and dump in more fuel accordingly

Wet system- this is said to be safer but is much debated- taps your fuel line and sprays the fuel w/ the nitrous at the same time. Includes two solenoids one for nitrous and one for fuel, usually costs a little more than the dry. It is sprayed after the MAF.

Here are some virtues of nitrous oxide in automotive applications:
    - Lowers intake temperature, producing a dense inlet charge.
    - Increases the oxygen content of the inlet charge. (Air is "only" 22% oxygen by weight)
    - Increases the rate at which combustion occurs in the engine's cylinders.

I won't dive into the hard-core chemistry, but to summarize what nitrous does, when nitrous oxide goes into your engine, the heat of combustion breaks the N2O chemical bonds to provide the engine with more oxygen with wich to burn more fuel.

Of course, they're all dependent on each other AND are all necessary for safe and proper function. Let's see what each consists of.

red
    73 Z28

Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances, I wouldn't touch that stuff with a ten foot pole. But then I'm picky about the way I choose to blow up engines. Hype and bs for those that want to believe in quick fixes and easy money.

02Vortech
    sorry u feel that way..... it really is a thing of beauty....... Up there in idaho, yall go idahostreetracing.com those guys run nitrous all the time.. see if you can get a ride it will change your outlook on the bottle of power.

JJB

"Juice to the moose"

I have to agree...I only run a 50 dry and still can't keep the tires on pavement...used NOS on everything ...never any problems as long as hooked up corrrect. Stuff works great with stock 00 SS cam.

BlueBullet01
    yo, i have an 01 SS n i currently have a dry 80 shot, n let me tell u it works like a charm at full throttle

Pewter Metallic
    '00 Z/28

I heard it could mess up yer intake manifold in some way, kinda like a backfire... I'm considering it, but do u guys really think a 100 shot is safe on a STOCK '00 Z28 w/ an LS1 not LS6 intake manifold?

how about this...
    go to LS2.com and find the nitrous section. there is a GREAT FAQ that will answer all your questions.

Or try a search.

waldo31031
    how much w/out installation will a complete nitrous kit(150 shot) be? I mean with everything

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSomething
    I heard it could mess up yer intake manifold in some way, kinda like a backfire... I'm considering it, but do u guys really think a 100 shot is safe on a STOCK '00 Z28 w/ an LS1 not LS6 intake manifold?
    Thats why you dont just buy a kit and put it on. Get a fuel pressure safety switch, window switch, bottle heater, purge, etc and make sure to get a tune for it. You also want to get a plug thats a step colder such a TR6. Also, dont want to spray if the bottle isnt at (at least) 900lbs of pressure. With a conservative shot, its actually very safe.

People give nitrous a bad name because they slap on a $400 kit running a 150 shot and overlook everything else and blow their shit up. You buy the parts listed above for a reason.

To answer your question....do it right, and it the car will be fine. I know plenty people running 100-150 shots and have sprayed well over 20 bottles per season and their cars run great.
    Last edited by ~redlinels1~; 12-25-2005 at 03:19 PM.

Thread Information